It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
(female)

ShepherdLady HB User
Hand Railings

Hello All,

Me again. LOL

I don't have a two story home, however I do live in a ranch style home that is on a raised foundation, with two and three steps to get into my home. We have no hand railings.

With a cervical collar, are you able to look down at all? If I cannot see to look down, there is no way I am going down those steps in the front or back yard.

I do have a guy who is going to come out and give me an estimate on getting some wrought iron hand railings installed. I just hope he can install them before my surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User
Re: Hand Railings

If you are going to be wearing a hard collar it will be a bit difficult looking down. I highly recommend a hand railing because you could be very weak after surgery... If you don't get one, make your downstairs couch your new bed for a while with lots of pillows.

Last edited by PearlDoves; 01-08-2007 at 07:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

You can still use your eyes to glance down, left, right and have some ability to bend at your waist if needed. I have a ranch home with just a one-step down sunken living room. Since I was able to see the step (even with the collar) I didn't need any assistance for that.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User

Hi I have no idea how steady you are now... I was very steady prior to surgery in oct 06 and had no problems navigating pretty much the same lay- out you describe.
If you feel uncomfortable and cannot get the railings, you may want to go to a sports store and purchase a telescoping hiking pole. They have a rubber tip and will accomodate all heights unlike a cane. I use these going down and up mountains hiking. Shared one with my Mom and she loved it after a fall.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
(female)

Melindafm HB User

My house has at least 3 steps (steep) to get up at each door. There is hand railing on my deck and a freezer in the garage I could use to manuever up the steps. At first it was scary. You can see ahead and just take one step at a time feeling with your foot for each step. If you are alone I would not go up and down. As you must have someone drive you home from the hospital they should be able to assist you into the house. Alot depends on how weak you get. The first week or so after surgery I was still quite strong, but having to rest and not do my usual physical stuff (gardening, housework) has left me tired and my stamina is not what it was. I am more cautious now than the few days after surgery and I am no longer in the collar. This is why walking and walking are so important to keep your strength up. Even in your home remember to get up and walk around the house frequently. Eventually the collar just becomes a part of you and you learn how to get around in it. It really becomes a security blanket, as annoying as it is. Good Luck!

Old 01-09-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
(female)

ShepherdLady HB User

Thanks Everyone. I appreciate all your replies. The guy is coming out Thursday to give us an estimate on making and installing some handrails. I just can't imagine going down or up them without any...

Closed Thread