It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
(female)

boxer_dog_luv HB User
Strip of ankle numbness-what does this mean?

A little background: Had neck crink and arm pain over a few years finally leading up to C5-6, C6-7 ACDF w/o plate 6/30/04 - made a full and complete recovery. Felt better than ever-went back to gym, aerobics, cycling, elliptical, and lost the extra 20 lbs. to be in what I would describe as best shape ever.

On the way to work in late August, a driver without a license (in a "borrowed" vehicle) passed in a no passing zone and hit our car in a near T-bone on my side at 55+ mph. I felt like I had been clubbed with a chair leg on the back of the head and felt woozy and nauseous afternoons for about 3 weeks as well as dizzy and forgetful. My right lower back continues to have a trigger point or area of extreme tenderness. After almost 6 months, I am not sleeping at night more than 3 hours at a time.

My original family doc turned out to be "Dr. Drugs" and per his statement, "doesn't want to play the lawyer game" so basically he got rid of me. He was mean and nasty and kept asking accident/insurance questions when I followed up after the accident per the ER and prescribed quite a bit of Vicodin and Xanax. On the 3rd visit, he was beside himself and said the pain was all in my head that I could walk and move all extremities and should not be complaining--prescribed more Xanax and Prozac.

I mourned the loss of my family doc--why I don't know. (Same doc also doesn't believe in tests - refuses to do a PSA or colon cancer screening when my 50 yr. old husband asked). Felt lucky to not have died under his lack of care over these 10 yrs. Surveyed friends & family - found new M.D., offered myself for a complete physical (not presuming anything), and he concluded my complaints were the result of the auto wreck on a palpation - soft tissue & could take 2 yrs. to resolve. He offered good advice to walk to strengthen muscles and maintain erect posture - positions which I found to be comfortable. He has me on 800 mg. ibuprofen which I use sparingly for only the worst pain--yes it is starting to bother my stomach and occ. heartburn. No specific follow up planned - return as needed.

With the advice of my new family doc, went back to gym to walk for an hour on treadmill - see how that went and gradually increase walking 3 miles up to 3-4 times per week. I really have tried not to do anything that would reinjure or make my obviously painful back worse. Anyhow, I am not making a recovery like I did after my neck surgery -- with the walking for an hour on the treadmill--I am having increasing strip of numbness or butterfly wings sensation on my left outer ankle. Last night for the first time after walking and coming home, when I put my left foot down it doesn't feel right--I get a sensation around the heel & up the leg to include the same ankle numbness of walking on a sponge. Anyone ever had this? What does it mean? I am afraid my new M.D. will not believe me or think I am complaining. Will it get worse? I am worried about my health and the medical professionals want to sidestep/down play the issues. Both M.D.s felt that an MRI would be a waste of time so no tests have been done after the auto wreck. I am paying my all my own bills with my health ins.; therefore, I have to work and can do so in my most comfortable position of choice - standing. As bad as it got, I never missed work over the 4 yrs. of my neck pain. If I can struggle into work, I have to.

Last edited by boxer_dog_luv; 01-10-2007 at 09:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User
Re: Strip of ankle numbness-what does this mean?

After suffering for this long, I think some tests could be diffinately merited to get behind the cause of your pain. Something could have happened with your spine, brain or nerves. You could always establish yourself with a neurologist to see what his take on your pain might be, especialy if you continue to find your primary doc not helpful.

Did nobody do any xrays after your accident to even see if you might have fractures? I'm so sorry you're having a rough time with the docs, hopefully you'll get the help you need soon and get the bottom of your pain. Many blessings to you!

Old 01-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
(female)

boxer_dog_luv HB User
Re: Strip of ankle numbness-what does this mean?

I immediately called my neurosurgeon who said that he could not see me again since I was discharged back in '04 without a new M.D. referral. I was C-spine immobilized in the ambulance and the ER doc did a palpation and said I would feel worse before I felt better & rx'd followup with primary doc in 3 days which I did. Never an x-ray.

One great sports med practice in town heard the word "auto accident" and said they would only see me as a cash pay only. I never realized it was a sin to be almost killed due to someone else's wrecklessness. There is no money to be had--the indigent driver had no license and borrowed a junk vehicle to wreck & did not show up in traffic court to pay fine. I am trying to be patient and reasonable with my healing. When my neck was killing me, I had had no injury & never had been in an auto or other accident and the doctors were more accepting of that. I'm finding car wreck is a dirty word.

Closed Thread