It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
(male)

badbac/pain HB User
Red face what to do.

hello out there folks this is my first time on boards.I recentely injured my self on the job.Injured lower back.Went to employers physician saw him once a week never really was given much p/t.I was given epidural injection for lower back pain.saw primary doctor once more and he told me to return to work on modified duty.That morning upon getting ready to go to work I felt something that felt like electrical shock in lower back that radiated down left leg to the toes.Eventaully i was given mri sometime later.another physician at same clinic authorized that i put back on no activity.Iwas than scheduled to see a orthopedic surgeon for opinion he recommended that recieve facet block injection scheduled in 3 weeks .In the mean time i go back to primary phsician and tells me this.He tells me that he personally knows several bull riders that have the same diagnosis that i have and are not showing the symptoms that i am showing.By the way he says that my diagnosis is grade 1 spondylethesis.They all did a nerve test that showed no nerve impingement.I cant stand for long periods at all sitting helps a little but lying on r side gives me some relief.Iwas on vicodin.any way the last time saw that physician was yesterday.that was when he told me about these bullrider friends of his.i have nothing against bullriders but i am no bull rider.I walked out of his office because i was offended when he told me that shouldnt be having any pain with disorder.is there a minimal/moderate/severe grade1 spondylethesis or is it just plain o grade 1 spondylethesis.By the way this a workmens/comp case.Im pretty sure that my adjuster is going to stop my benefits as soon as gets of me walking out of doctors office and i cant go back to work because this pain is keeping me from just standind 5 to 10 mins at atime.myt job requires that i stand the whloe time.somebody please respond to this.thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
(female)

quilter58 HB User
Re: what to do.

Maybe you should try some physical therapy or traction.....what about muscle spasms...did your doctor say anything about that.......Could you go get a second opinion.......You have to be your own advocate- if the doctor is not getting to the problem- tell your Work Comp Rep you want to see a different doctor for another opinion.......Keep in mind you should try all the treatments with the idea it just may help you.....Good blessings to your health.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
(male)

badbac/pain HB User
Smile Re: what to do.

Thanks for reply quilter58.I have the proper paper work to get a change of physician.I just have to find one and send in the request.But do you know any thing about this grade 1 spondylethises (spelling ?)Im pretty sure they told me it was at the L5 S1.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
(male)

badbac/pain HB User

Thanks for reply quilter58.I have the proper paper work to get a change of physician.I just have to find one and send in the request.But do you know any thing about this grade 1 spondylethises (spelling ?)Im pretty sure they told me it was at the L5 S1.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User

Spondylolisthesis is when your spine has slipage due to the joints being weakend (degenerative) or in some cases, because the bone above the joint is fracutred (isthmic). There are other kinds as well other than this from what I can gather. Grade 1 is suppose to be consistant of 25% slippage. The grades go up to Grade 5, but Grade 4 seems to be 100% slippage, while Grade 5 is called spondyloptosis in which the vertebra has fallen off completely - ouch!

Your orthosurgeon is probably trying to rule out if conservative measure will relieve your pain before considering surgery. This is a normal protocol for many surgeons it seems. If nothing alivitates your pain then surgery might be considered, but you are also entitled to other opinons as well. Both Ortho and Neuro surgeons deal with issues such as this. But with it being grade 1, its just my opinion, but giving concervative measures a chance might be a good thing. From what I can find on the issue, many people can find relief, it might just depend on the therapy and the pain meds given. Good luck to you and many blessings, I hope you are able to find relief soon.

Closed Thread