It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
(female)

Joanna2007 HB User
Darvecet

I was wondering what the next step up from Darvocet is? The dr. gave me darvocet with dosing instructions of one every 6 hours for a torn rotator cuff and herniated cervical disc. If I take one, it does nothing, if I take two, it improves pain slightly but makes me irratable. I need something stronger. Do I just call and ask? What is stronger but not something that will knock me out?
TIA

Old 01-12-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
(female)

puparoo HB User
Re: Darvecet

Darvocet is pretty weak. I find that motrin works better for me. Unless you have intolerance or allergies ( or other reasons for not taking something stronger if you are in pain) let your doc know it isn't working. Vicodin (hydrocodone), percocet, ultram, etc. are far stronger and typically prescribed. I took darvocet because vicodin and other drugs like it (i.e., percocet, etc.) make me nauseous). Let the doc know it is NOT working. THERE are tons of alternatives. Good luck. In the meantime, unless you have stomach issues, try three motrins, they'll work better. I pretty much tossed my darvocet out the window. What a joke it was. Good luck!
Some Cord Compression

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

There a whole host of possible medications from non-steroidal anti inflammatories such as Asprin, Advil or Aleve to other Darvocet type narcotic medications such as Vicodin or Tylenol 3. You'll have to discuss with your doctor - it all depends on if he/she wants you to take anti-inflamatories or not.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

technically, the next step up would be either tylenol IIIs or vicodin.the thing with darvocet is the huge amount of tylenol in it,if i remeber right it is 650mgs?thats alot of tylenol,and when you double dose,you are getting a pretty high amount at one time.anyones daily intake of tylenol should never ever go above 4000mgs or after that,you risk liver cell damage,and if you are taking this on a daily chronic basis,that safe max amount actually goes down to 3000mgs.you just have to be careful.

i really think if you just sit down and discuss this with your doc,about the tylenol issue combined with the fact that it is just not doing the job,he/she may decide to change you to a safer more effective type of medication.adding something like aleeve or motrin to some other narcotic pain med can help usually alternating doses of one then the other when its time for the next dose.this worked really well for me.also, never just go ahead and raise your own dosing unless the doc says its okay to do so first.some meds will cause you some nasty side effects if you decide to do your own dosing.just an FYI.your doc wont like it either,especially if you are taking any narcotics.Marcia

Old 01-14-2007, 06:47 AM   #5
(female)

Joanna2007 HB User

Marcia,
That makes sense, thanks for the help. I will talk to the doc tomorrow if they are open. I have already tried 800 to 1000 mg of advil 3 times a day. I am aware that that is too much. I have tried Tramadol, Ultram, Skelaxin, Metocarbonal, naproxen, and others that I can't even remember the names of. The reality is, I need a stronger narcotic pain med until this is under control. I haven't been able to sleep due to the pain and have been very bitchy to my family. I feel bad about that. Thanks for listening.

Closed Thread