It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
(female)

bdancer HB User
ACDF on 1/23 and nervous

Hi everyone I have been reading this board for about a week now.. a little shy to post but I decided to go ahead and do it. I was in a car accident two years ago hit from behind from a car that was going around 40-50mph. I won't go through the boring details but was diagnosed with c5-6 herniation with spinal cord compression.. eventually after a year when my leg started to give out I begged for an MRI of lumbar spine and found out L4-5 was also out with spinal cord compression.. I eventually couldn't work anymore, I would have bouts of pain where I could barely move but what is worse is I have gradually lost sensation, proprioception and muscle tone so after very little input from physicians have decided to get the acdf whether the leg weakness is from lumbar or cervical.

Well last week I became ill with the flu and started coughing horribly and by friday went into spasms when my husband took me into the ER well long story short I found out when I went into neck spasm that most of my leg problems were from my neck and I have moved something because my symptoms are worse!! So now I am resolved no more trying to get out of the surgery some how it has to be done... so wish me luck I'll keep posting it is nice to have an outlet when things get bad!

Old 01-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
(female)

quilter58 HB User
Re: ACDF on 1/23 and nervous

bdancer........we are in the same boat ........I am having surgery on jan 24th, nervous also.......but I feel I have a good Neuro........Keep us posted and I will post also as soon as I can afterwards.......I will say a prayer for you .........keep your head Up......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Hi Bdancer,

I'm sorry that your in our boat of pain and injury. You will feel better after your acdf and be glad that you had it done.

I was dealing with lumbar issues and had no idea that I had a cervical herniation with cord compression until the day of my lumbar surgery.

Anyway, the pain that I was having, left bicep pain, numbness in my left hand, headaches, neck stiffnes and pain.... it all immediately went away as soon as I awoke from surgery.

Of course I had my recovery pains and such, but nothing compared to what I was going through.

Good luck to you on your surgery and I'll be praying for you to have a speedy recovery.

Bernie

Old 01-14-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
(female)

Gina164 HB User

Hi,

You will be better off for having had the surgery...

My HMO gave me a guided imagery CD entitled, "Preparing for a successful surgery" - it helped SO much!

You can do this on your own with very calming instrumental music on...

Before bed each night, and during the day...Practice visualization while very relaxed...see yourself coming into the OR and knowing that everyone there is on your side, and is doing their best, and see yourself going through a very successful surgery, and then healing swiftly, and dealing with ANY post-op 'worries' with a positive attitude....

Looking forward to hearing about your recovery, and improved health.

Gina

Old 01-14-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
(female)

bdancer HB User

Thanks again for your reassuring words everyone. I have tried everything I know to try and get out of this surgery but I am resolved now that this is what I am suppposed to do... I dont' want to live the rest of my life like this so the surgical risk is worth the certainty of continued deterioration. I am glad that I have this board because most people don't understand I don't "look" like anything is wrong with me.. thanks Jean PS quilter I guess our surgeries will be "neck and neck" (LOL)..how many levels are you getting??

Old 01-14-2007, 07:45 PM   #6
(male)

NYD HB User

I had the same area (C5/C6) with compression. I had the surgery on Aug 14th this past summer and I am 100% better. I spent the holiday skiing at Whistler. These surgery's really do work. I know that going in is the scary part. With a good NS, and lots of rest after you will be back to normal before you know it.

My advice is just let your body heal post op. Let your loved one's look after you. Even if you feel better, take it easy until the fusion has taken.

good luck you all.

Happy Healing.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:30 AM   #7
(female)

badbackpeg HB User

Hey Bdancer,

I also am having surgery on 1/23. C6/7 herniation with cord compression, and like you, alot fo leg problems. I am nervous also, but I am thinking this is normal.

If this takes care of the pain and weakness, I will be so glad I had it done.

Good luck to you.

Peggy

Old 01-15-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
(male)

milyno HB User
Thumbs up Re: ACDF on 1/23 and nervous

I had my ACDF C5-C-7 on November 16th and I'm feeling really good. There is some stiffness and soreness but pretty much pain free. The worst part about the surgery will be the sore throat afterwords and I had some coughing issues from the Meds, but please make sure you take those meds!! It helps keep you comfortable, LOL!! Also I had to wear the hard collar, which is uncomfortable. My six week check-up went well, everything lined up and healing properly. I will return to my surgeon on January 31st at which time I beleive he will start my rehab. I would do it all over again because I no longer have the severe pain in the back. Good luck and tell us how it went!

Old 01-15-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
(female)

quilter58 HB User

bdancer....LOL....yes we will be neck & neck.........I am having a 2 level C4 - C7 with my own bone and with hardware......will have a miami J collar.....3 days in hospital.....I am 47 yr old and hope this kind of thing does not consume the rest of my life .......I am very active......NYD went skiing so I believe this will not interfer with my active life only for the healing process which I will not try to rush........I believe we do need to allow proper time to heal..........You are right in that most people do not "SEE" a problem......But that is what our close friends and this board is for.......My husband did not believe I needed this type of surgery.........I printed info off the internet.....but it wasn't until I printed some of these posts that it became real to him...........He is being very supportive now........He is really afraid of hospitals.......he himself never goes to a doctor.......only takes asprin

bdancer my thoughts will be with you on the 23rd and will say a prayer....you may not feel like thinking of me on the 24th......kindred spirits - neck to neck, and with you BADBACKPEG.........will think you also.....quilter

Old 01-16-2007, 04:10 PM   #10
(female)

bdancer HB User

Hi all

I went down to the hospital today went for my pre-op and got my aspen collar.. btw what is the difference between collars?? I am glad they gave it to me ahead of time so I can build up wearing tolerance I wore it back home today in the car about an hour and a half > I am getting this done in a manhattan hospital by a fairly famous surgeon (I will tell you guys the particulars after next week, never know who sees these boards) well I saw the bill!!! YIPES and that doesn't include all the extras and the hospital! the papers that they make you sign are scary!! with all the things that may go wrong etc etc...I also bought a wedge from a medical supply store to help prop up myself in bed. Went to a spine clinic etc.. also this surgeon uses a bone "matrix" with bone marrow does anyone know about this? I will definitely think about you girls but might not be able to post for awhile.. SKZ I hope you are feeling better what a nightmare I have been ill also but I think the zpack has helped I have been coughing terribly and was afraid of getting the surgery if I was still ill. well talk with you guys soon..OH PS make sure you have button down shirts that was one thing I learned today... Jean

Old 01-16-2007, 05:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Jean,
If you are still coughing after your surgery, it will really be unconfortable. I am not a big cougher, but I think I am coughing a little because its slightly harder to swallow now. I have already had 2 sneezing experiences and that isnt a real blast either. I just feel one coming on and hold my head! But you dont want to go into surgery with a cough, for sure.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #12
(female)

ShepherdLady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdancer View Post
Hi everyone I have been reading this board for about a week now.. a little shy to post but I decided to go ahead and do it. I was in a car accident two years ago hit from behind from a car that was going around 40-50mph. I won't go through the boring details but was diagnosed with c5-6 herniation with spinal cord compression.. eventually after a year when my leg started to give out I begged for an MRI of lumbar spine and found out L4-5 was also out with spinal cord compression.. I eventually couldn't work anymore, I would have bouts of pain where I could barely move but what is worse is I have gradually lost sensation, proprioception and muscle tone so after very little input from physicians have decided to get the acdf whether the leg weakness is from lumbar or cervical.

Well last week I became ill with the flu and started coughing horribly and by friday went into spasms when my husband took me into the ER well long story short I found out when I went into neck spasm that most of my leg problems were from my neck and I have moved something because my symptoms are worse!! So now I am resolved no more trying to get out of the surgery some how it has to be done... so wish me luck I'll keep posting it is nice to have an outlet when things get bad!
Me, the 22, you the 23rd and Quilter the 24!

I know what you mean about being nervous! I am doing well, then suddenly think how quick all this is starting to happen and it makes me want to smoke and I can't! LOL

We'll get through it.

Half the battle is researching it, so you understand the process and reading these boards have helped me immensely.

Good Luck!

Old 01-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #13
(male)

whatever2 HB User

I thought I would check in since I am now 8 mos. post 4-5, 5-6, 6-7 ACDF. I had a corpectomy at c-5 also. That's where the doc removed the vertebrae and installed a mesh looking cage and filled it with bone debris from the vertebra. Then it was a matter of waiting for that to fuse along with the bone grafts at 5-6 and 6-7. I spent 2 nights in the hospital and 12 weeks in an Aspen. Went back to my desk job after 2 weeks. Recent visit to the Ortho spine surgeon shows fusion has taken place and I can do whatever I want. Still have hand numbness but legs have improved tremendously. Swallowing is "different" than it was before, just some tightness. I never had to take any pain meds or anything after I left the hospital, not even an aspirin. I would have to say that this board helped me alot before and since the surgery because it gave me a pretty good idea of what to expect. My best advice is to trust your surgeon, they do these all the time. Then take it slow.

Larry

Old 01-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #14
(female)

bdancer HB User

Hi guys how is everyone today?? I am busy trying to get ready for being pretty much housebound for weeks..stocking groceries..went to a dance class this morning for the last time for awhile...LOL it was kind of funny actually because my proprioception is so off I can't really tell where my leftleg is all the time or if it is doing what I want it to! But hey at least I went... I walked about a mile and half yesterday then went shopping at super walmart today so I think that is probably about amile of walking (at least) my dh says he is going to move the guest bed downstairs this weekend so when he goes to work he won't have to worry about me going on the stairs without him.. the nurse said yesterday that balance can be off for awhile... Dear Larry you really had a very complicated procedure!! I think it is almost miraculous that these procedures can be done now... if it would have been even 20 years ago I don't think it that we would have had much hope for recovery.. does any one have any useful suggestions for things to do to get ready?? only a few more days left girls!! Jean

Old 01-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Jean,
I found that having some ginger ale handy was nice when i got a little queazy. Of course make sure you have those bendy straws. Some chicken soup is always good to have, too. Yogurt, cottage cheese, and those little jello puddings are nice to have also. I can swallow about 90% normally a week after my surgery. I also liked having saltines around when it was time to make sure my stomach had food in it. I dipped them in water to soften them and it went down fine. When I use the phone (even before my srugery), I went to Radio Shack and got a headset so I didnt have to crank my neck when I spoke on the phone. That is thing is priceless. I find I am getting alot of calls after the surgery and stuff. If I think of more, I will post. I know exactly how you feel!

Closed Thread