It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2007, 12:04 AM   #1
(male)

bstinch HB User
Wink brown sequard syndrome

hello...does anyone have any info about the length of time that this syndrome may last? i don't know if it is permanent on not. i realize that each case is different. i had a crushed c4 that punctured the spinal chord and then was fused to the 3 and 5. thank you

Old 01-16-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: brown sequard syndrome

I don't know anyone with this, but was curious so I did some quick research. You don't say what your symptoms are but I found there are simple cases and difficult cases.

One of the articles I read says patient recovery depends on the cause of injury and secondary conditions or complications. According to the National Organization for Rare Disorders, more than 90% of affected individuals successfully regain the ability to walk. Additional studies have found that the majority of a patient's motor skills return within the first two months after injury. The recovery period is usually two years, but will vary by patient. Looks like steroid treatment and immediate PT helps the person recover.

You might want to look for this book:
The Official Patient's Sourcebook on Brown-Séquard Syndrome: A Revised and Updated Directory for the Internet Age. San Diego: Icon Health Publications, 2002.

You might also find some information that will help you at the Christopher Reeve Foundartion, National Organization for Rare Disorders, or the
National Spinal Cord Injury Association.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
(male)

bstinch HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckpatient View Post
I don't know anyone with this, but was curious so I did some quick research. You don't say what your symptoms are but I found there are simple cases and difficult cases.

One of the articles I read says patient recovery depends on the cause of injury and secondary conditions or complications. According to the National Organization for Rare Disorders, more than 90% of affected individuals successfully regain the ability to walk. Additional studies have found that the majority of a patient's motor skills return within the first two months after injury. The recovery period is usually two years, but will vary by patient. Looks like steroid treatment and immediate PT helps the person recover.

You might want to look for this book:
The Official Patient's Sourcebook on Brown-Séquard Syndrome: A Revised and Updated Directory for the Internet Age. San Diego: Icon Health Publications, 2002.

You might also find some information that will help you at the Christopher Reeve Foundartion, National Organization for Rare Disorders, or the
National Spinal Cord Injury Association.
thanks for your input. i have done research as well, and have come up with the same information you have , as well as the same sites. i haven't heard from anyone with this disorder. my injury was caused from a crushed vertebrae that punctured the spinal chord, in a twisting movement. my left side wwas initially paralyzed, but i have regained use of my left leg and part of my leftarm, but notshoulder movement. very limited sensation on my right , pain or temp. thank youagain for your help, bryan stinchcomb

Old 01-17-2007, 07:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i only unfortunetly have like seconds here to respond but just wanted to let you know that i too have this godawful BS syndrome too.i will post info tomorrow for you,K? again i am sorry i do not have the time right now.from what my NS told me,because it is actually caused by actual damage to the spinothalamic tract,the chances of any 'cure" or reversal are pretty obscure at best.i will hopefully be able to discuss this in much further deatail tomorrow,again,sorry i don't have the time right now.what actual symptoms are you having right now,and post? i WILL be back i promise,Marcia

Old 01-18-2007, 07:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

You mentioned a crushed vertebrae but didn't mention at what level?i am assuming since you lost some arm movement,we are talking the lower or mid c spine here?just exactly where does your 'bad side" start?it usually starts right below the level of injury.mine is on my R side just under my right breast on down thru the bottom of my foot.i unfortunetly,because of extensive sympathetic nervous system damage,ended up with whats called RSD,or complex regional pain syndrome on this same side from the knee on down thru the bottom of my foot as well.this part really sucks the most for me.i could handle the not feeling hot or cold and not being able to actually even feel pain from the outside in,well in some cases,for me and my need for injections for other medical nightmares in my spine,thats been kind of a blessing.but when the RSD hit and some other structural damage happened to my knee,everthing just strted burning on that side.

is it just me,or when you actually feel pain that is generated from the INSIDE only,does it present with burning?or do you not feel that either?i also have kidney problems and can feel when the right one is getting painful as my side will start burning pretty intensely.i have had this now since 03,after a spinal cord surgery was done to try and remove a lesion from the c 7 t 1 area of the inside of my cord.how long have you had this Dx yourself,and how did they actually Dx you in the first place?that part is always a pretty interseting story in itself.

having true,full brown sequard syndrome is very very rare for some reason.my NS told me that most people will get whats called 'partial" brown sequard.but that IS more than enough for me really,and i am sure you too.

I too was able to thankfully regain the use of my weak and spastic leg with the help of a wonderful rehab facility i was sent directly to after about two and a half weeks post op from the hospital i had my surgery at.i unfortunetly,as you can probably tell by my typing,my L hand didn't recover so well.from the c spine nerve damage,i ended up losing a total of 8 of the fine motor,intrinsic muscles in my L arm,thru my hand.but i was able to regain some better dexterity and mobility,mostly by typing while i was there and also now,just keeping up on it at home.if i don't type everyday(i found this out when our PC went down for two weeks)i actually lose alot of mobility and dexterity.this really IS the best possible hand and finger therepy for my loss of muscles.

just what is the full extent of your injury and the symptoms you are having now?believe me, you wont bore me with details.i am always interested in hearing how other people are in relation to the freaky things i have been Dxed with.any info you can give me will help me to give you the best possible advice.

i am really looking forward to hearing from you soon.hang in there,marcia

Old 01-18-2007, 10:27 AM   #6
(male)

bstinch HB User

hi marci.thanks for your help and interest. i was in a car wreck and crushed the c4 and had to have a fusion with the help of the c3 and 5 vertebraes. this happened in november of this las year; thankfully i am already walking and doing some other things. initially, my whole left side was paralyzed. right after surgery, i regained movement of my left leg, and of course, the rest is still in progress hopefully.my left side is pretty good except for constant swelling of my left hand and my shoulder area; i can't raise my left arm or get much use out of it. my right side has no sensation, or limited, frmo my right shoulder down to my toes. however, i get pain, i guess from nerves , that will start in my right shoulder area, and radiate through my upper torso. maybe like the feeling of being stuck with an ice pick.
i am taking neurotin; i have missed taking a dose, and it seems reaaly bad if i do. i will get complete body aches and cold , very cold ,for quite some time. at this stage, i wonder how it will be possible for me to work, unless there is vast improvement. i just turned 40. i was very athletic; played sports in college, 6'8" and 275. i worked out 5 days a week. now, i am a mere shadow of that person, loosing 45 pounds the `1st week in the hospital, and even more after that . about 210 right now, but i AM thankful to be alive and be to the point i am right now.
it sounds as though we have similar issues; i have yet to find anyone with the same issues , except for you. i have no talked a lot with the ns either.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-18-2007 at 12:39 PM.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
(female)

Nennie HB User

Hi!
I, too am interested in anything to do with healing from this. I had a laminectomy on C-5 C-6 on 7-12-06. Right after surgery I had weakness and numbness on my right side (arm and leg) and loss of pain and temp sensations on my left side (from arm pit down to toes). I was told by my NS that I "presented" with the symptoms of B-S syndrom because of the profusion of blood into my spinal cord after it was decompressed. He told me that I didn't have B-S but only presented with the symptoms. 6 months out from surgery I still have 2 stiff fingers and some strange sensations on my right hand and arm. I also still have some problems with my right leg, mainly my knee seems weak and I still limp when I get tired. I have regained some pain sensations, though not strong in my left leg and a small spot on the top of my foot that senses cold, but only at times and only about the size of a quarter. After my 6 month check up and MRI he told me the MRI looked great and that at only 6 months out I still have alot of healing to do. He said that the dramatic increase in blood flow caused massive swelling in my spinal cord and it takes quite a while for all the swelling to go down and all the damaged cell walls to heal. I too have alot of nerve pain and am on Neurotin. It really does help. He also told me that true Brown-Sequard syndrom is rare. Keep us informed and I hope things get better very soon!

Nennie

Congenital spinal deformity
Spinal Stenosis and Myleomalacia DX 6-29-06
Posterior Cervical Laminectomy C-5 C-6 7-12-06 No hardware installed

Last edited by Nennie; 01-18-2007 at 06:50 PM.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
(male)

bstinch HB User

thanks nennie....do you ever get the cold sensations over your body....maybe from nerves or the medicine? thans bryan

Old 01-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #9
(female)

Nennie HB User

Hi bstinch,
The only problem I have with cold sensations is my right arm and hand. It takes spells where I don't seem to be able to get it warm. I sit with it wrapped up in a fleece blanket, or I use a heating pad. It's strange that it's only my right arm that gets cold and achey. When I'm outside where it's cold it sort of locks up mainly in my hand and 3 fingers. It feels like it's pulling or drawing. From the reading and research I've done I think it's swelling in my spinal cord from the surgery and maybe some nerve damage. If you read my other posts it tells of all the problems I had. My NS told me I still had alot of healing to do and that at only 6 months out I was doing good. I hope you get better soon! Have a good day!

Nennie

Congenital spinal deformity
Spinal Stenosis and Myleomalacia dx'd 6-29-06
Posterior Cervical Laminectomy 7-12-07 No hardware installed

Old 01-23-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
(male)

bstinch HB User

nennie...have you returned to work, or are u able to. what do ur NS say? how about driving....

Old 01-24-2007, 06:53 PM   #11
(female)

Nennie HB User

Hi,
I actually got laid off 3 months before my surgery, which turned out to be a blessing because it took me several months just to get back to semi normal. I started a new job on Jan 2nd. I started driving short distances, (we live out in the country, not much traffic) about 2 months out of surgery. By then I was walking with a cane, which I finally got rid of about 1 month later. I still have a slight limp when I get tired. My symptoms before surgery where dizziness, stumbling, numbness and though I didn't know it until the Dr pointed it out I wasn't swinging my right arm when I walked. I still have a long way to go but I try to take it one day at a time and try to be as normal as I can be. My surgery was a have to because of the compression causing damage to my spinal cord so I'm glad to be here and knowing the damage is not being done anymore. Have a great day

Nennie

Congenital Spinal Deformity
Spinal Stenosis and Myleomalacia dx'd 6-29-06
Posterior Cervical Laminectomy C5 C6 7-12-06 No hardware installed

Closed Thread