It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
(female)

monarog HB User
Another New Symptom...Related?

Hi,

I've posted many times with a ton of neuro symptoms. I have a herniated cervical disc and stenosis (no surgery yet). Maybe I have something else going on, or maybe 10 or 20 things as I've had so many weird symptoms. Last night, I noticed quite suddenly that my middle and ring fingers were very numb (more than usual - ha! and more prominent on one side than the other, but both). When I looked at them they were WHITE, about mid way up to the tips, like zip blood flow. After about 20 minutes the numbness faded and they regained their color. So, this seems vascular. I read about Raynaud's Syndrome. Is this way out there and beyond any neck issues - seems a stretch trying to relate the two problems? I'm tired of trying to self-diagnosis on the web right now so just thought I'd check in with the experience of this board. I appreciate feedback. Thanks. Mona

Last edited by monarog; 01-16-2007 at 07:47 AM.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User
Re: Another New Symptom...Related?

I can't recall any color changes, but numbness in the fingers as you have described do indeed happen due to cervical stenosis problems. It would happen often and could include most of my finger when I was getting really bad just before surgery, but most often it would be near the tips of my middle and ring finger in my left had.. sometimes it would happen on the right hand too, but not as often. You're bound to feel many odd senstations off and on. I got to the point that my legs started giving out on me and was getting shootings pains in my arms and legs, it was truely horrible. But if you are still concerned, you can talk to you doctor about it and see what he suggests. He may want to restrict your activites or something with you, I'm really not sure if anything can be done about it other than surgery. Word of caution though.. if you start to loose bladder control or find it increasingly difficult to "go", be sure to call your doc asap and/or get to the ER.

Last edited by PearlDoves; 01-16-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2007, 04:22 PM   #3
(female)

bdancer HB User

Hi my fingers are doing something similiar and it has started when the weather got colder they turn white except for the tips which are beet red from the last crease to the tips and they hurt!!! I have it both hands with more on left cause that is the side that disk is more towards but I also have carpal tunnel on the right which could cause that on that hand...I went out and bought better gloves.. thinsulate gloves and it is better... it is similar to raynauds but if you have nerve involvement I would suspect that first..

Old 01-16-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
(male)

bstinch HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarog View Post
Hi,

I've posted many times with a ton of neuro symptoms. I have a herniated cervical disc and stenosis (no surgery yet). Maybe I have something else going on, or maybe 10 or 20 things as I've had so many weird symptoms. Last night, I noticed quite suddenly that my middle and ring fingers were very numb (more than usual - ha! and more prominent on one side than the other, but both). When I looked at them they were WHITE, about mid way up to the tips, like zip blood flow. After about 20 minutes the numbness faded and they regained their color. So, this seems vascular. I read about Raynaud's Syndrome. Is this way out there and beyond any neck issues - seems a stretch trying to relate the two problems? I'm tired of trying to self-diagnosis on the web right now so just thought I'd check in with the experience of this board. I appreciate feedback. Thanks. Mona
mona....i have similar symptoms...with hand color being splotchy and numbness. i had a crushed c4 that punctured the spinal chord, initially lving me partiallyparalyzed. the neuro surgeon told me this was nerve related, not circulation. of course, best bet isto see your doc....

Old 01-16-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User

Mona - I've had the same thing, mostly after surgery - finger turns almost white and numb for 20 minutes or so - mostly when cold or if I gripped something funny - hasn't happened in a long time but I'm pretty sure its from C-spine issues

Old 01-17-2007, 07:47 AM   #6
(female)

monarog HB User

Hey Guys...
Thanks for taking time to respond. The numb fingers I understood...but, the weird color change was so ***arre! It's comforting to know I'm not alone; though sorry you guys deal with this too! I just never imagined how far reaching and weird symptoms from a c-spine issue could be. I'm just praying I haven't passed my crappy neck onto my kids! Thanks again. Mona

Last edited by monarog; 01-17-2007 at 07:59 AM.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
(female)

monarog HB User

Hey Guys...
Thanks for taking time to respond. The numb fingers I understood...but, the weird color change was so ***arre! Ditto for me, happened after gripping my cold steering wheel...but, it was way beyond a normal response - it wasn't THAT cold! It's comforting to know I'm not alone; though sorry you guys deal with this too! I just never imagined how far reaching and weird symptoms from a c-spine issue could be. I'm just praying I haven't passed my crappy neck onto my kids! Thanks again. Mona

Sorry for the duplicate posting...I spent way too much time trying to delete one, but could not figure it out, oops.

Last edited by monarog; 01-17-2007 at 08:06 AM.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:41 AM   #8
(female)

ember919 HB User

Mona,
I frequently had numbness and COLD in fingers or hand both before and after surgery. After surgery, the symptoms were more varied; i.e, sensations in places I hadn't had them before. I think all the nerves were saying, "What the heck have you done to me???" I do not recall lack of color to the skin, but I was usually pretty focused on the unpleasant feeling.
Best advice, though, is to contact your surgeon if you're not sure. Better to be safe. If you can, find out if the surgeon has a nurse or PA who can answer your questions - usually easier to get in touch with.
Good luck.

Closed Thread