It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Does caffeine inhibit bone fusion?

Someone mentioned on here the other day that caffeine inhibits the bone fusion after ACDF. Has anyone else heard that before?

Old 01-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
(female)

quilter58 HB User
Re: Does caffeine inhibit bone fusion?

hey lady .......how are you feeling today.......I don't know about caffine.......I did want to ask you if you had stairs and if so how is that going for you......couldn't remember if you had donor bone or your own......

Be sure to up your calcium intake so your bones have a better chance to fuse also protein.......and a vitamin with iron.....iron supplies the bone morrow where the blood is made......thus helps the bone fusing also.........

Hope everyday is better for you.......DON'T RUSH THE HEALING AND GO DOING THINGS TOO SOON..........Let your family read this board or print a few .........it seems once my husband saw the threads on this board it became more real to him......
Saying prayers for everyone on this board..........later

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Hi there,
I DO have a whole flight of stairs which have been no problem for me. I just make sure I hold on and dont rush down. I had donor bone, so the hip isnt an issue. And as i have mentioned before, I have no collar.
I am feeling pretty good. I am finally starting to feel bored and lonely! Oh man, while my husband is away, people are fizzling out on me left and right. First the caretaker person that I was going to hire, fizzled, and then some friends have. So I am here alone feeling like a shut in. My daughter (whose car was stolen) cant come over...she lives about 20 miles away,. and my son is busy with school and work in a town about 20 miles away. Most of my friends have colds and having been on steroids it makes it very bad if I catch something, (more suseptble to infection),so one by one they arent coming. Now I am going to end up with a rush of visitors on Sat. the day before my husband comes home. Go figure.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
(female)

ShepherdLady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKZ View Post
Someone mentioned on here the other day that caffeine inhibits the bone fusion after ACDF. Has anyone else heard that before?
I haven't heard that, nor has my surgeon or the surgeon's PA mentioned that to me. I sure hope not! I am going "without" a lot of things, but I am not going to forgo my coffee in the morning. <BG>

Old 01-18-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Hmmm, never heard that one. My doctor did say I had to avoid Advil, Alevel, and Aspirin for 6 months since they were anti-inflammatories and they inhibit the fusion process which involves inflamation.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User

sounds like a bad myth to me, but you can always ask to be sure. It certainly doesn't seem to be inhibiting the bone growth in my case. Tomorrow I get another CT and XRAY so hopefully it will show some fusion, tee hee

Old 01-19-2007, 08:35 AM   #7
Inactive

dennisgb HB User

Never heard caffeine as a problem.

I drank it during my recovery. I am totally fused.

Smoking is a big problem though.

Dennis

Closed Thread