It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 08:41 AM   #1
(female)

bdancer HB User
sitting here with my collar

Hi I am sitting here practicing with wearing tolerance of my aspen.. good news is I can still have my computer laptop..but it is not very comfortable I have to glance down with my eyes...are you guys getting nervous??? my lower back is hurting (I also have L4-5) so I am going to do some exercises fast dont want a sore back.. bye for now Jean

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2007, 09:04 AM   #2
(female)

Melindafm HB User
Re: sitting here with my collar

Oh I can sympathize. I was given a Philadelphia initially. I practiced and wore it in all situations around the house and was just about freaking out (I had received the collar 2 weeks before surgery). I just could not imagine wearing the thing (I dreaded this more than the actual surgery/recovery). The night before surgerythey called to remind me that the next day was the big day. I complained then that I did not think I could live 24/7 in a Philadelphia. Thankfully when I woke up from surgery I was in an Aspen. It was wonderful compared to the Philadelphia. You will get used to it very fast and it will become your security blanket. I still wear mine in the car if I travel very far. I know everyone who is scheduled for next week is getting very anxious at this point. You are all in my prayers and thoughts and I know you guys will do great. Just follow the instructions at the hospital about breathing and getting up and most important stay on top of those pain meds and muscle relaxers as instructed by your doc. Also try to walk, walk, walk (carefully) and eat lots of protein, calcium, etc. This will keep your strength up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
(male)

icejohnb HB User

B.
I bought an over the bed table. Its got 2 parts. One big table part, that adjusts up and down, tilts etc. Laptop, meals etc. A smaller table part that holds mouse pad, coffee cup, soup bowl, etc. It also adjusts, though I keep it level. Don't want coffee on the bed. I bought it from the largest retailer in the U.S.. It was less than 30 bucks.
I have a bed wedge that was ordered by my pain Doc for my collarbone.
The 16th was my 3 month anniversary of my bilevel ACDF surgery. 3 months of wearing the Aspen collar. I don't have to wear it if I'm sitting around, but to sleep, leave the house etc. I wear the collar.
Bad news I'm afraid it just gets more difficult to function with. Sleeping is becoming more impossible.
24th I go in for my 3rd x-ray, Neuro visit. Maybe, I'll see the last of the Aspen.
I'll put it with the rotator cuff immobiliser, wrist brace, knee brace, and the 3 different slings from the three different surgeries. Thanks to one negligent driver!
Hang in
Ice

Old 01-19-2007, 04:12 PM   #4
(female)

quilter58 HB User

Hello all, there are a few of us just a little bit nervous, but after having been on this board daily I feel we will all get through it because we kinda have already been through it with everyone else.......I feel I know what to expect.......I have a pretty good tolorance for pain but won't feel shy a bit to take what ever they give as long as it is GOOD.......I am allergic to Percocets so I don't know what they will give me.......I know I will have a Miami J collar.....looks real similar to an Aspen.......

The heater has been out all week.......3 inches of solid ice on the ground.....and 6 inches of snow forcasted for this weekend........but today my husband got the furnance fixed.!!!!.....WOHOOOOO.....It has been a bit chilly in here 50 -53 degrees...all of my family has been worried that it wouldnt get fixed before I came home from the hospital..........

I am using my own bone ........from everyone on here the stairs are going to be a little tricky.......my bedroom is upstairs and the laundry is in the basement.......HMMMMMMMMM? So i am making the couch my bed for the next few nights to see if I can get comfy there - then I will just have to see when I get home if it will be the bed or the couch.........

Sorry so long winded.......thinking of all that are post op and those who are pre- op

Old 01-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
(female)

bdancer HB User

Ice

Mine was also from a negligent driver... also did that retailer start with a W and end with a T??? I would love to have one of those bed tray things to lift the laptop up and to read.. I have two wedges to lay down on .. why are you in the collar so long if you don't mind me asking 3months seems so long.. my doc says 2-4 weeks then soft for 2 weeks or so...thanks for the suggestions...Bdancer

Old 01-19-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
(female)

quilter58 HB User

Just thought I would add up the pre ops as I know it ...feel free to add more............
Jan 22-----Shepard Lady
Jan 23-----bdancer & badbackpeg
Jan 24-----quilter58

If I missed anyone it is because I have not kept track too good........
Good Blessings ladies..........

SKZ...how are you today.......better ? I hope ....
Ice...thanks for the tip on the table , I am going to look for one of those.....

Old 01-19-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
(female)

ShepherdLady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdancer View Post
Ice

Mine was also from a negligent driver... also did that retailer start with a W and end with a T??? I would love to have one of those bed tray things to lift the laptop up and to read.. I have two wedges to lay down on .. why are you in the collar so long if you don't mind me asking 3months seems so long.. my doc says 2-4 weeks then soft for 2 weeks or so...thanks for the suggestions...Bdancer
Bdancer,
They told me I'll have to wear the collar for at least 3 months as well.

And unlike some they didn't fit me for one yet. They will the day of the surgery.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

You all are such good people, do you realize this? You are such a help and support to me and and so many other people. I REALLY appreciate this. THANK YOU!
I am doing very well, physically. I got a little upset today because ANOTHER friend fizzled out on me that was supposed to come over tonight. That is her second fizzling out. I didnt let her know I was upset. She really is a nice person, she just doesnt realize how lonely I am right now with my husband gone and me stuck here. But when I talked to my daughter (who FINALLY got a new car today after hers was stolen before my surgery), I kind of acted out and started crying and telling her how I havent seen a human being since my husband left on Tues. morning. She is like my best friend, so I can talk to her like this.Then she felt bad because she started her last semester of college this week and has been taking a bus all week, 40 miles each way. I feel like I laid a Jewish mom guilt trip on the kid (she is 21 and a great daughter). She swears that I didnt, though. I think the steroids I took are still in my system and they are making me emotional. My daughter has seen this before, so we kind of had a good laugh over it when she came over. (and I got to see the cute 2007 VW Rabbit).Then my 26 yr. old son called and said he would come over tomorrow, hang out and watch a DVD and then spend the night. (and apologized for not calling). He, too started school this week and works. Makes you realize that other people have lives, too. I am most disappointed in my friends (not my family), who all are aware I am home here alone and no one has yet to show their face. One friend said she would bring dinner over tomorrow, and SHE I think will actually follow thru. But I think you can all imagine how it feels when people forget about you. My husband of 5 yrs is a virtual saint and I cannot wait for him to get home on Sunday evening. The ladies that are fizzling out on me are all part of a ladies group that I have been in since I got a divorce in 1998. I thought we would be more bonded that we are. Word got around that i am doing better now, so they must think I dont need anything now. OY. Thanks for letting me vent. I am all better now

Old 01-19-2007, 08:48 PM   #9
(female)

ShepherdLady HB User

SKZ,
I'm so sorry about your friends fizzling out on you. I am sure it hurts. But at least your family came through for you.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:48 PM   #10
(female)

bdancer HB User

Hi all

I feel so bad for you SKZ I am reluctant to ever ask anything from people just because I hate that feeling that you are having now of being ignored and overlooked.. I too have a wonderful husband but just to let you know you are lucky your kids are around (even if they're busy) my mother and sisters and I had a falling out 5 years ago and she has not called me or my daughters since then.(I've tried to call her) . she knows about this surgery (I told my aunt) but she doesn't care and my eldest sister just tries to figure out how she can keep my share of inheritance if I don't make it through the operation... they are really not nice people and I am better off without them but at times like these it would be nice to have my family to talk to... so remember to count your blessings!! Good husbands are very precious!!! Well a couple of more days to go!!! I am so glad I can vent here too.. I am not as nervous as I was... I am resigned now and your positive experience helps...
Shepardlady I am sorry about the three month brace but it is better to be safe!
MAY THE FUSE BE WITH YOU!!!! bdancer (jean)

Old 01-20-2007, 12:36 AM   #11
(male)

icejohnb HB User

Yes;
W and ends in T. It was far cheaper from them. Everyone else wanted triple.
I'm hoping only 14 weeks, but whose counting? Right?
Like I have said in my previous post. The Neuro has done 6,000 of these. No hardware,etc in my neck.
I also told him that "I tend to push myself!".
I guess in the end. If the donor bone fuses, and I continue to feel stronger, with more sensation on my right side. It will all be worth it!
Oh yeah, that was W@#*@%T online.
Ice

Old 01-20-2007, 08:11 AM   #12
(female)

Melindafm HB User

To all whose friends and families have dropped them. I too had this experience with my coworkers. They send a card to everyone for any occasion signed by all in the office. Imagine my dissapointment when I did not get one. A few called to check up on me and the boss made dinner for me one night so I knew they were at least thinking about me.... I think when you have major surgery it scares people. Also they are not ever quite sure you are up to having a visitor (may be a bad day for you). My main request to everyone was to keep me in their prayers and thoughts. Know that all on this board are thinking of each other and you are not totally alone. At least we all have a pretty good understanding of what each other are going through. I sure was glad when I found this board. I do not feel so alone in this experience now. And speaking of children, my dear 17 year old son decided he would make me some pudding (good for calcium) last night. He put in a good scoop of the protein whey (yum?). At least I got an extra dose of protein. My neck should be loving it today.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:03 AM   #13
(female)

bdancer HB User

Hi all

I can't believe I vented like that last night...well what I didn't say is that I had just returned from my 9 year old daughters winterfest at her school.. I was a volunteer and painted faces of about 100 kids! I was freaking out because they were all hacking and coughing all over me!! and now today I woke up with a horrible spasm in my neck and am in so much pain...so back on the valium and codeine.. I have an appointment with my MT in a couple of hours! Also we met with a lady this morning that has agreed to come in three days a week to help out with cleaning and whatever around the house.. it isn't cheap but I am sure it would be more to hire an agency..I am so lucky to have my sister n law for a week and now help from this lady..I count my blessings everyday!! Dear Ice I am going to look up W... T on line now for that tray.. great price! also going to get some spanish DVDs so I can learn spanish while I am stuck at home! Hope everyone is doing well.. those that are healing and those of us waiting to go in ...

May the fuse be with you... (oh I awoke from a dream the other night with that phrase in my head thought it was kind of funny) bdancer

Old 01-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #14
(male)

icejohnb HB User

Hello, all you venting people!
I discovered something fairly strange, but similar about people.
My life was pretty neat in 1999. I had worked out of the country for 4 years. Saved the majority of that money, moved back to the area of Indiana where I grew up. I have never been fond of Tampa.
My sister called me 6 months after my move, she has always lived with my parents in Tampa. Why? Shes 8 years older then I am, but she just can't manage on her own (or shes a slug). Shes crying and begging me to come back to "help" her care for the parents.
So, like a dummy (I can say that now) I did. Mom had severe COPD, Dad was beginning Alzheimers. The two of them together sorta made one person. Mom was still sharp as a tack mentally, and Dad could still get around.
So, I gave up moved back. My sister had not done a thing to prepare. The "help" ended up me doing everything. 24/7!
What I discovered about friends, people, relatives is. If your in a "DEEP" situation regarding health, old age, pain, whatever. It doesn't take long before no one wants to share in your situation. I believe it scares them. You know "That could be me. or I could end up in that situation".
I have close to 120 relatives, and I would have considered us a close knit family. I discovered by the 3rd year of my caregiving. I had 8 cousins that would share with me.
Meanwhile,all but 2 of my friends sorta disappeared. Don't get me wrong I had friends for 20 years, that just wondered away.
I've had the 3 surgeries relating to this "negligent" driver. I have not gotten a card or a call from my family.
I consider myself extremely lucky to have my Landlady. She was my county respite worker for the "Old Man", and Jim he was my Dads Sr. companion. They have been my support.
I won't even say what my sister has done to me since Mom and Dad have died. She had time to find a new "Husband" while I was busting my a%%.
I realize that I suffered burnout, but I got my Dad into one of the leading Alzheimers research clinics. They helped me understand caregiving, and what I needed to do to protect myself.
So, being sick, taking care of a sick relative it leads you in some funny directions.
I was once asked by the Alzheimers clinic shrink "What did you do today?"
"Well, I got up at 6 AM I showered, shaved, washed clothes, ate. Then at 8 AM I started a pot of coffee for Dad and I. I woke Dad up, gave him his coffee. We sat and chatted as best as he could. Then I got him in the shower, stripped his bed, washed Dad up, got him dressed for 9 AM" etc. The shrink looked at me and said "How did you do that?" I said "What do you mean?" He said "I couldn't!"
Talk about a long post! I guess what it boils down to is you have to be a little more self reliant. Even if you think you can't.
Treasure those around you that do help.
Regards
Ice

Old 01-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #15
(female)

quilter58 HB User

Since we are having a little vent session..........
bdancer I feel ya on the "everyone is coughing around you".........I don't want to get sick this close to surgery .........take care .....I am even going to take clorox wipes and lysol with me to the hospital........heres why it is my venting...........Ice you started it............

For the past 1 1/2 years I have been caring for my Mother who has breast cancer that has spread to the bones, ribs, spine, hips, arms, top of the legs, she is also a diabetic, and has CHF (congestive heart failure).......We have been in & out of the hospitals just about every month or so and for a period of time she was in & out every few weeks.......We live in a rural community so going to the hospital meant a 50 mile trip one way.........My dad has been a God send but my brother & sister have let me do all the work...........

My vent .......take care of yourself......others won't always be there,,,,take the help when offered.........AND BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE IN THE HOSPITAL.....DON'T BE AFRAID TO SPEAK UP...ASK QUESTIONS......OR EXPECT BETTER CARE........I take the wipes and lysol spray because HOSPITAL ROOMS ARE NOT ALWAYS CLEANED REALLY WELL.........We have found dried blood left in the rooms.......I INSIST ON ANY CARE WORKER TO HAVE ON GLOVES AND FOR THEM TO WASH THEIR HANDS BEFORE THEY LEAVE THE ROOM........AND MAKE THEM CHECK YOUR ARM BAND BEFORE GIVING YOU MEDS AND ASK WHAT THEY ARE GIVING YOU IN YOUR IV..!!!!!! ALL HOSPITAL WORKERS ARE HUMAN,,,,,,,,MISTAKES HAPPEN...TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR CARE.......DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS ........REMEMBER THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR HEALTH & CARE........DON'T ASSUME EVERY WORKER IS QUALIFIED......There are some idiots out there in the health care profession..

SORRY THAT IS THE END OF MY VENT ........

Closed Thread