It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

TruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB User
I have a question Please

I know this is a dumb question but I know Ya'll will know..I'm just learning about all this..what is spondylosis and facet arthropathy and one more uncovertebral hypertrophy?? I tried doing a search on google but it's all greek to me and I know Ya'll will put it in english for me..thanks for all Ya'lls help it really means alot to me

Old 01-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: I have a question Please

spondylosis is a fancy word for spinal osteoarthritis. it is a degenerative disease that may cause loss of normal spinal structure and function. Mostly aging is the primary cause, but things like accidents etc, can cause damage and speed that process in young people. this is an easy word to lookup and there are lots of good sites to learn about your spine.

24 vertebrae make up our spine. There are two facet joints between the vertebrae of each spinal segment along the spinal column. The segments are numbered, you know like C4, C5, etc. C's for the cervical neck, T's for the Thoracic, L's for the lumbar,

The facet joints and disc space form a unit near each vertebrae. A facet joint has two bony surfaces with cartilage between them and ligaments surrounding it. Synovial fluid lubricates the joints as is the case with any joint. Facet Arthropathy is degenerative arthritis affecting the facet joints. Arthritis in the facet joints can develop from:

wear and tear (decreases space between vertebrae causing facet joints to rub together)
previous back injury
fractures
torn ligaments
disc problems

Due to the additional stress caused by these circumstances on the facet and ligaments can deteriorate.

Finally you asked about uncovertebral hypertrophy. The uncovertebral joints are structures only present in the neck. They are small joints on each side of the vertebra that can become enlarged with wear and tear arthritis. This added width can cause compression of the exiting nerve root

Hope this helps. I tried to relay what I have been taught about my disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

NeckPatient:
That was an awesome primer you just wrote and I appreciate it alot!

Old 01-19-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
(female)

TruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB UserTruthseekerTn HB User

thanks so much NeckPatient...that was put in english for me..when I go to look up something it brings a whole lot of stuff that I don't even put in and it's so hard to go through it all..I don't sit at the computer very long periods at a time because of my pain..and the words I ask you about was in my mri so that helps me alot thanks again

Old 01-19-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

No problem, glad it helped. Unfortunately I have been having these problems since early 2004 and had to grow my knowledge to understand things I go through and what the darn docs are saying to me. Ok gotta get off computer now. Take care. Heat really helps me alot on the neck and upper back, you might try it if you haven't.

Closed Thread