It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 06:18 PM   #1
(female)

EtherealGirl HB User
Thumbs down I have a screw loose....

Today, I went in for my 5 week follow-up. My surgeon was out of town so I saw his PA. The PA he sees some fusion taking place, but the bottom screw is either coming loose or the slight change in position could also be attributed to the cage and vertebrae "settling". Oy. Since I'm 99.9% pain free, I'm hoping it's nothing bad.

I have to wait until Monday when the doc gets back and looks at the films to find out exactly what they want to do. At any rate, I'm back in the #@$#%!!! collar just in case.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
(female)

quilter58 HB User
Re: I have a screw loose....

E I sure hope it is not a screw loose...........Hang in there.........the collar is probably the best thing until you see the Doc.......a couple of days is small price to pay if it keeps you safe...just in case.........hang in there....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
(female)

ShepherdLady HB User

I sure hope it is nothing serious. Let us know!!

Old 01-19-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
(female)

bdancer HB User

Dear Ethereal

Hope it is not a screw. keep up hope PA is not the same as the surgeon!! Good luck !!

Old 01-20-2007, 07:19 AM   #5
(female)

Melindafm HB User

How scary! Did you cough a lot or sneeze hard or something after surgery? What did the PA think that would make the screw come loose? I know you said possibly just settling but I would think there was more than that. Are your bones soft? My mom has a friend who had this surgery and they had real problems getting screws to stay in during surgery as her bones are very brittle. I had a terrible (face plant into the grass) fall last week. My neck went into terrible spasms afterward but I feel really good now. I called the doc and spoke with his PA and he seemed to think I would be ok. I don't get an x-ray until 2/9/07 to check the fusion. I would go back into the collar in a heartbeat if I thought my plate was compromised. You don't want that screw working completely loose and piercing something in your neck.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
(male)

mb100 HB User

Hey Girl,

I had a couple screws come loose, only one was a problem though.

Take it easy until the Dr. checks you out. One of mine was actually loose from the beginning and it is no problem as it has never moved. The other one though was on the move as we saw on different exrays and had to come out. Mine came out because my fusion failed at that level and had to be redone from the back.

If your only 5 weeks post op you have just started to fuse and they might want to just watch and see for awhile.

Until you see the doc, just keep your neck straight and take things easy. The collar is probably a good idea for now. It's only a couple days.

Good luck and take it slow.....Mike

Old 01-20-2007, 09:24 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

All this talk about loose screws is really making me wonder why I am not in a collar. I see the PA on Monday for the first post op and I HAVE to ask this. Its weird when you have a procedure and you are in the minority when it comes to normal protecol. As much as I love not having a collar, it better not be messing me up.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:44 AM   #8
(female)

Melindafm HB User

SKZ,
I too have wondered why you were not at least in a soft collar. I asked extensive questions about this to the PA (preop appointment). Because I have a plate he said it was mainly for precautionary measures to remind me not to extend my neck to far forward or back. It also helped the incision site and was more or less a security type device. I only wore the Aspen for 3 weeks and then saw the doc. He stressed to me not bend my chin down to my chest or to bend my neck straight back. What precautions were you given by your doctor? Did he tell you not to ride in a car or go outside if conditions were slippery, etc.?

Old 01-20-2007, 11:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

My instructions were: no overhead lifting or reaching, no lifting, avoid extremes in neck motion. No pushing or pulling. THAT'S IT.
Because of my sinus infection, I have had to do nasal washes where my head had been forward in the sink. It doesnt hurt or anything, but now I am scared about it. Oy whatever. I will mention all this junk on Monday at my first pre-op. I have a soft collar that I had a for awhile. I havent worn it but i definitely plan to when i go in the car to my appt. on Monday.
They are really big on making you walk alot. They want me on a daily program, so I have been....since I own a treadmill. I have to admit it does help me feel less lethargic from sitting around.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:08 PM   #10
(female)

quilter58 HB User

SKZ.....I am having a plate & screws and will be in a Miami J collar for 6 weeks.....it looks real similar to an Aspen......hard collar with soft cushions inside.........it is wierd you don't have a collar.........

Old 01-20-2007, 08:21 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Should be interesting to see the answers I get about the collar issue on Monday.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:16 PM   #12
(female)

ShepherdLady HB User

My neurologist wanted me in a hard collar even before my surgery, because my neck is so bad and the disc's pressing on my spinal cord.

But my surgeon didn't want me in one. Said because I would be in one so long after the surgery that he didn't want my neck muscles to atrophy.

SKZ, Let us know what you find out. Although, LOL I won't be here to check these boards tomorrow.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Oh gee whiz, that's very true. So am I correct in hearing that you wont have a collar either? Its so hard for my almost 51 yr. old brain to keep track of who has what on here!! By the way....bdancer and badbackpeg....my birthday is on the 23rd. Maybe that will bring you good luck! On the night of my surgery, Bush gave his speech about sending more troops to Iraq. Now on your surgery night, he gives the state of the union address. That morphine helped me stomach his speech better! hahah.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #14
(female)

bdancer HB User

Good luck Shepard!!! dear skz Happy Birthday!! my birthday is coming up another two weeks...I don't think I will watch the presidential address I would not normally watch it so why would I do that when I am in pain I don't know if I'll be on here tomorrow I will try one last time... I have some things I forgot to do good luck again... bdancer

Closed Thread