It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
(female)

loverLife HB User
Is this spinal related or arthrtis??

I have had 2 cervical spinal fusions in C-5-6 and C-6-7. I am know experiencing extreme stiffness and pain/swelling in my joints, mostly my left hand. When I awake, my hand is so stiff I cannot flex it at all. On a pain level of 0-10, it is a 10. I have a sharp pain that radiates up to my wrist as well. I am not sure if this is arthrtis or a sign of another disc problem. I have degenerative disc disease with stenosis and all the other stuff that comes with it.

My question is this: Has anyone experienced these symptoms? They are the worst upon awakening and ease up after about an hour. When I sleep or wake up, both hands are numb all the way up to (almost) the elbows with tingling. I am so scared that this is disc related, or I may have RA.
Any advice or help would be appreciated!

Old 01-21-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Is this spinal related or arthrtis??

I would think some hand/arm xrays may put your mind at ease - if it is arthritis it may show up on xray.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
(female)

ShepherdLady HB User

I have had 2 cervical spinal fusions in C-5-6 and C-6-7. I am know experiencing extreme stiffness and pain/swelling in my joints, mostly my left hand.>>

I have RA and extreme stiffness and swelling is a symptom of RA. Swelling wouldn't happen if this was coming from your cervical spine. That is something my own Rheumy told me. So you might want to get an appt with a Rheumatologist just to be on the safe side. Also with RA it usually happens in both hands. What happens on one side of the body will usually happen on the other.
Hopefully you don't have RA. But if you did, early aggressive treatment has been shown to put it in remission in most people.

Good Luck!

Old 01-23-2007, 09:17 AM   #4
(female)

loverLife HB User

Thanks to you both for you replies, I am going to my doc tomorrow. It has appeared ib both hands now. The only strange thing is that both of my hands up to my elbow while sleeping are numb and tingling, not matter what position I am in.

It could be a little of both going on. Thanks again!

Old 01-25-2007, 06:21 AM   #5
(female)

ForrestGunt HB User

Sounds like "Ulnar Nerve Entrapment" at the elbow. Could be a side effect of arthritis or a stand alone problem. The fact that is is bi-lateral means it could be occuring at the c-spine. Please get it checked out.

Closed Thread