It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
(female)

badbackpeg HB User
Red face also getting the jitters

Hi to all again,

I know there are 3 of us having our surgery next week. People keep telling me not to think about it, and I do try to occupy myself, but it is still there in the back of my head.

I am 69 year old female, and I live alone, and I wonder how much help I will need when I get home, that is one of my main worries. I think I will make some calls to see what I need to do to get home health care if I need it, so I can be ready in case. I know everyone is different, and I really don't know what to expect. I hope it's not anything like my l4 l5 fusion. The only thing I got out of my dr. was he would most lilkly release me for this in 3 months. And he also said I won't be wearing a colar due to the plates and screws.

Also, I have a coughing problem, i don't have a cold or anything, could this be caused by this herniated disc?

Bdancer and quilter, what time is your surgeries? Mine is 7:30 am on 23rd for C 6/7 fusion.

Good luck to you guys,
Peggy

Last edited by badbackpeg; 01-20-2007 at 04:00 PM.

Old 01-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
(male)

mb100 HB User
Re: also getting the jitters

Hi Peg,

I've never heard of a cough being caused by a disk, then again I'm not a Dr. Make sure you ask him about it before you have the surgery, it could be uncomfortable after the surgery. Give him a call if you can.

Best of luck to you

Mike

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
(female)

quilter58 HB User

badbackpeg..........mine surgery is @ 10am on the 24th.......Shepard Lady is also having surgery on the 22nd.......so as I know there are 4 of us........

I do hope you will find some help........for any surgery I don't feel you should be home alone......Need someone checking on you......and from what I gather on this board you are not going to feel like bending over for a little while........plus right after you get home you will need some help until you get the hang of doing things on pain meds.........I truly hope you can call on a friend or family member.........I am so blessed I will have help........

Old 01-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
(male)

mb100 HB User

Peg,

The doc may keep you in the hospital an extra day if he knows you may not have enough help at home.

just a thought......

Old 01-20-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
(female)

ember919 HB User

Peggy,
Get in touch with your surgeon's office, explain your situation, and ask if the surgeon will write you an order or prescription for home health care. Staying in the hospital two days instead of the more customary one would be good, too, if you can get the surgeon to agree to it. I also think you can ask to talk to a hospital social worker at the hospital to help you coordinate service.

I'm not really sure about those, but maybe others know more.

You should be able to get around on your own after the surgery, but you may be uncomfortable. I'd be sure to have plenty of easy food options on hand. Some people suggest products like Boost or Ensure.

Depending on how you are affected by things like pain medication or muscle relaxers, you may want to consider setting an alarm to remind you to eat and drink on a regular basis - have to stay nourished and hydrated! You might also want to keep a record of when you take medications and at what dosages.

If possible, have someone check in with you every day, either in person or at least by phone.

Since there are several of you with upcoming surgeries, I'll start a new thread on an old topic: hints, suggestions, advice for being home after surgery. I know the same questions are answered over and over again, but there are always newcomers.

A persistent cough can obviously be caused by many things, but one to consider might be problems with the esophagus. It's a fairly common condition, but one not many people are familiar with. I'd be sure to mention the cough to both your surgeon AND the anesthesiologist on the day of your surgery. Any coughing after surgery is likely to be *ouch* for a while.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

My cervical fusion was MUCH easier than my lumbar fusion. Far less pain, far less immobility (getting out of bed after a lumbar fusion is harder than after a cervical fusion), etc. If you are having an ACDF they go in from the front and that is why there is less pain. In a posterior lumbar fusion they go through muscle and retract it - in an ACDF there is far less of this.

I too was nervous going into my cervical fusion because I feared it would be like my lumbar fusion. It was SO much easier.

Closed Thread