It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
1st Post Op appt.

Just got back from my first post-op appt. They took 2 Xray views, front and lateral and everything looks great so far. (12 days out). I saw the Physcian Asst. who took tons of time with me and answered all my questions. I mainly asked why I dont have a collar. She said that even though alot of surgeon require people to use them after ACDF, my particular Dr. doesnt because he said your neck muscles get weak from wearing one (whichi is true) and they would rather have you moving things around somewhat, although nothing extreme, of course. She showed me exactly what motions I can do and what motions I cannot do. It seemed reasonable to me. They are very big there on getting people miving. On my handout, they wanted people to be walking a mile a day by 1 week after surgery. (in increments throughout the day, not all at once), which I have been doing on my treadmill. I have to admit its helping me feel really good faster. I just have to use common sense, which I am sure some people do not use. I plan on using mine, though. My next appt. is at the 6 week mark and then I will see the surgeon and again get Xrayed. That was the FIRST TIME I have come out of a Dr's office feeling positive and not wanting to cry in 5 years. It felt great. I am feeling very positive about the whole experience. Hope this helps those people that are about to have surgery, or who just had it. I am very very hopeful, for once!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
(female)

quilter58 HB User
Re: 1st Post Op appt.

SKZ..........woohoo....great results so far it sounds like..........I think it is interesting that you don't need a collar.....I am going to ask my nuero about that with the muscle thing.........cuz i know I am going to hate it (the collar)......but if he wants me to I will.............I am glad you are feeling so good........I wish I had a treadmill as we have a ton of ice and snow on the ground right now.......hope it melts off soon.......going on 2 weeks now .......

Keep up the good work.......it will be interesting to hear everyone's story in the next week or so........I know they are keeping me in the hospital till friday because of the 2 surgical sites....( my own bone).......I will be anxious to get on the puter to see how everyone is doing........Are you glad your hubby is home........hope he is being supportive , bet you were glad to see him.........take care .......angela

Old 01-22-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Today when I went to the post op appt. it was half an hour's drive each way. There are alot of bumps and potholes in the road now in Colorado. Tonight I am more sore than I had been. They warned me it would probably happen from the bumps. I feel it more in the upper back than anywhere. So there are going to be alot of ups and downs. I took 2 vicodin half an hour ago and I feel loads better. Doesnt take much, esp. early on to get those muscles angry!

Old 01-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Quilter/Angela:
I wish I could give you a big ole hug before your surgery. You are such a nice person.
Yes, I was really happy to see my husband. His plane got delayed 4 hours in dallas, thanks to bad weather in Chicago. Then he got home and had to shovel 8 MORE inches of snow at 10 pm. OY. I am also happy to get my doggie back from my ex husband, who for 8 yrs, I have shared the dog since our divorce. haha She is a Sheltie and I missed her for 2 weeks!
I wish we were allowed to call people on this board because I would love to call you before your surgery. There are so many caring people here, you hate to not be able to be friends in the real world! I love friends, what can I say?

Old 01-23-2007, 06:03 AM   #5
(female)

quilter58 HB User

SKZ.........I too wish we were able to contact people on this board in the real world.......I feel a connection to several people here and wish we could talk......My best friend lives in Denver.....one of my daughters was born in denver.......if I took a trip to colorado I would love to meet you.,.......when you have people ushering you through a rough patch you can't help but make a connection.........I think I am ready for surgery , I have been calm until I woke up this morning and starting going through some mindless list with my husband...........He is really the one who is a wreck........He hates doctors and hospitals.......He truly gets anxiety just being in the hospital walking around.......I told him he needs to bring something to keep him busy.......He builds old black powder guns.....told him he should work on one of those out in the van while I am in surgery..........

How long did your surgery last .........I am told 4-5 hours but some on here say it only took 2 hours.......just curious.....

Thanks for all of your support SKZ........as soon after surgery as possible I will post ........many blessings to you ..........angela

Old 01-23-2007, 07:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Angela,
I had a 2 level and they said it would take 2 hours. My husband said it turned out to be more like 3.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:20 AM   #7
(female)

quilter58 HB User

Maybe the difference is because they need to harvest bone from my hip.....thanks

Old 01-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #8
(male)

milyno HB User

Two months post-op (11/16), ACDF C5-C7 with donor bone. Surgery was about 2 1/2 hours. Worst part is the sore throat afterward, put not particully awful. I am feeling pretty good now, I did wear a hard collar for 6 weeks. I still wear a soft collar when sleeping, just find it more comfortable. I will return to surgeon on 1/31 and hope to be put on PT to strenghten all the muscles that I haven't used in a long time. This surgery is not bad, uncomfortable at most, and should not be feared. The pain I had in my back, neck and arm is gone and that is priceless! Good luck and let us know how you are doing along the way.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:55 PM   #9
(male)

bstinch HB User

SKZ....GLAD THAT YOU ARE DOING WELL.....AFTER MY FUSION, NS TOLD ME THAT THE HARD COLLAR WAS TO KEEP OTHER MUSCLES AROUND THE SURGERY STABILIZED. HE SAID I COULD DO NO DAMAGE TO THE SPINAL AREA...IT WAS SOLID. I'M SURE THAT IS HOW IT IS WITH MOST OF THESE PROCEDURES. I HAD A CRUSHED AND REMOVED C4, BRIDGED AND FUSED TO THE C3 @C5. GOOD RECOVERY TO YOU AND STAY POSITIVE. I WAS PARTIALLY PARALYZED, BUT NO MAS. NOW, I SEE THE big PICTURE....

Last edited by bstinch; 01-23-2007 at 05:07 PM.

Closed Thread