It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
(female)

~Ro HB User
Surgery 9:20 tomorrow

Hey folks,

I just got word that my surgery is scheduled for 9:20 tomorrow morning (EST). I have to check in at 8, so have to leave at 5. Boy, I wonder how I'll sleep tonight ... or how I'll wake up if I do take a sleeping pill? Anyrate, no food or water past midnight except sips of water to take what medication I need in the morning.

I have to pack my bag, otherwise, I'm ready to go. I'm so sick of pain medication and what it does to my mind. It barely cuts all the pain anyway. I can't believe how quickly from diagnosis to full blown horrendous symptoms and growth in the herniated disk, happened to me. I seriously believe that the chiropractors BOTH had something to do with "moving" my pain from my head, (constant & severe with no relief for 6 months) to my limbs & manipulated the hernia in a way to make it grow in 5 months time from the last MRI. They both should have turned me away until given the go ahead by a surgeon who knows what he's talking about. Oh well, I'll put it in my book ;-)

I will not feel any of the needling pain this time tomorrow. I don't know what, if anything I'll feel by then but do intend to make my stay in the hospital a quick one. I will do a quick recover to get home but wonder how I'm going to prevent myself from doing too much before it's time once I'm home. My husband suggested locking me in the other side of the house, (where I've moved myself to, to prevent germs) so I CAN'T see it to clean it!

We're going out to dinner tonight since we won't be doing that for awhile.

Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts,
Ro

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Re: Surgery 9:20 tomorrow

Good Luck, Ro!!!!!!!
I reread your original post and man we sure had alot of the same stuff. I , too had a sinus infection. Is yours gone??????????? Mine wasnt and it just about killed me so bad that i ended up taking steroids 3 days after surgery, for the sinuses. I had ACDF C5-C7 (donor)12 days ago. I posted about my first post op appt. Read that for a little uplift. Ro, I am in so much less pain now that I ever was before surgery (for 5 yrs!!). The worst of my pain was on my left side and it is gone now. My guess is that the bone spurs were really killiing me on that side. They filed them away, so thank God, they are no longer. I hope you have the same great lessening of pain right out of surgery. That morphine helps alot too. TAKE IT IN THE HOSPITAL!! I am pretty much off pain pills now because I dont feel the need for them. I know people get all annoyed about that pain medication stuff on this board. My instructions were: TAKE AS NEEDED. So I did (and will when I need it). Walking has helped me alot, but I have the luxury of owning a treadmill. Its hard to walk outside in the winter, everyday. (and kind of dangerous). I wish you a good operation and uneventful recovery. I think you will be happy you had this done and end up feeling better soon! GOOD LUCK TO YA!

Old 01-22-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
(female)

quilter58 HB User

~Ro ............I will say a prayer tonight for you........that scheduling was fast.......remember all on the board will be here for you......quite the busy week.............Good blessings. quilter

Old 01-22-2007, 11:22 PM   #4
(female)

justme231 HB User

~Ro,
Good luck with your surgery! My husband is right behind SKZ at 11 days post op. He's doing great, though I have a hard time keeping him settled and not doing too much. Yesterday he disassembled a snowmobile motor for one of his friends and reassembled it. He was pretty sore after, but it was his own dumb fault. He is able to move around easily, the only problem he has is with sleeping comfortably. His folllow up X-ray is in three days, and I pray he has not done damage with all the stuff he has been doing this past weekend. The worst pain he has post op is the throat pain from being intubated as well as from moving the esophogas to access the area. It subsided after about a week, but I did get a pill crusher and some pudding to help him swallow the pills. It helped a bit. I pray that your surgery goes as well as the ones that are posted here, I think it will and hopefully you'll be feeling much less pain after you wake up. I appreciate all the info sharing that goes on here. Thanks all and I'll be thinking about you ~Ro. Keep us posted and God Bess.

Last edited by justme231; 01-22-2007 at 11:24 PM.

Closed Thread