It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
(male)

Bronco HB User
Cervical Post-OP Problems

I first posted on this board in November and have had no responses. I understand my case is complicated and I was rather lenghty. Its so good to hear all the positive results I read on this board. I am 2 years post op. I still have problems with both hands and at times just some of my fingers going to sleep, sever neck and upper back pain. The worst thing though is while in surgery I suffered an infarction to my lower left back muscle (paraspinal muscle). This killed off about 1/2 of that muscle and is extremely painfull and has rendered me disabled. All the Doc's and NS's are scratching thier heads in that they have nevered experianced this. Has anybody heard of this? Also, my Doc wants me to have a procedure where they inject dye into my lower back and trace it up to my cervical area. Has anybody had this done? and are there any dangers with this procedue? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Bronco ACDF 11/04

Old 01-23-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
(male)

mb100 HB User
Re: Cervical Post-OP Problems

Bronco,

Wow, you got a full plate. Sorry I dont have much insight on your condition but it sounds like their gonna do a ct mylogram on you where they inject a dye in your spinal fluid and do a ct scan on your neck. The only thing I heard was you have to stay still for a period of time after they inject you or it can cause severe headaches. Could be wrong, if so hopefully someone will post and correct me.

I went back and read your old post, sorry I didnt answer then but like you said, it is complicated. Sounds kinda like me though, actually same symptoms minus the infarction. The neck pain is better since the second surgery but the arms and hands are weak, and fingertips are still numb, right leg took the brunt of it and is shrinking (calf) and I walk like a drunken sailor!

So the infarction happened during the surgery? And no answer as to why Huh?

Well you're not alone man.

I hope you feel better and post again and let us know whats happening with you.

Take it slow.....Mike

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User

I think they are moving you in the right direction having this test done, in this way they should be able to see more of what is going on in your spine. With all your complications, it might also be good to have the other test done as well... called a discogram which is basicaly the same thing but its where they actually try to recreate the pain to figure out where it is actually coming from in your spine... Sounds a bit horrible, but many people that have been through a discogram don't regret it and thought it was a good thing. There are other threads on this board on this topic. Good luck to you and many blessings, I hope they find the cause and are able to help you soon so that you can be pain free.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
(female)

quilter58 HB User

Bronco the procedure you described is a Mylogram.......I had one prior to being scheduled for surgery.........I am not going to steer you wrong it can be painful....but they give you very good seditive like morphine or demerol......you are awake, they shot the dye into the spinal canal and take mri & ct scan........Gives them a very good picture of what is going on........

It is usually out patient procedure but you have to stay like 6 hours afterwards lying flat ...trip home is in vehicle you can recline the seat...then completely on your back for 48 hrs after that at home......can only get up to bathroom....GET HELP AT HOME DON'T TOUGH IT OUT......The needle they use to inject the dye has a large bore.....if you don't lay flat for the 48hours some spinal fluid can leak out causing a horrible spinal headache.........if that happens TELL THE DOCTOR........you may have to go in for what is called a BLOOD PATCH....They draw your own blood and put it back into the site where the dye was injected to "patch" that area .......then remain flat again........

I had to have 2 blood patches......2 days in a row.........horrible headache .....you will know it because it is unlike any headache you have ever had........

The Mylogram procedure is very good for them seeing everything....sometimes they only do one area......mine was cervical , thorasic, & lumbar.......they wanted to see the whole picture........

Hope I haven't scared you but it is an invasive test procedure.........Do get help at home afterwards.........Good blessings to you.

Last edited by quilter58; 01-23-2007 at 09:04 PM. Reason: mispelled word

Old 01-24-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
(male)

ThoreauFan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
The worst thing though is while in surgery I suffered an infarction to my lower left back muscle (paraspinal muscle). This killed off about 1/2 of that muscle and is extremely painfull and has rendered me disabled. All the Doc's and NS's are scratching thier heads in that they have nevered experianced this. Has anybody heard of this?
Sounds like there are some big issues there, Bronco.

I'm not quite sure I understand why the Docs & NSs are scratching their heads about the infarction. I don't have any knowledge of the vascular structure supplying the paraspinal muscle, but the blood supply was cut off to the portion of your muscle that died.

As to why? I have no idea, beyond a blood clot in an artery.

I hope the tests go well for you.

Last edited by ThoreauFan; 01-24-2007 at 10:31 AM.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
(male)

Bronco HB User

Thank you for all your replies. As for the infarction to the Paraspinal muscle, it has been explained to me there are so many vessels feeding this area that a clot cannot explain the problem. Of course this causes me concern for further surgery.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:22 PM   #7
(male)

ThoreauFan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
Thank you for all your replies. As for the infarction to the Paraspinal muscle, it has been explained to me there are so many vessels feeding this area that a clot cannot explain the problem. Of course this causes me concern for further surgery.
Hmmm. I have an bone infarct on my femur (unrelated to ACDF).

I share your concern and hope somebody gets that figured out for you.

Closed Thread