It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
(male)

icejohnb HB User
13 weeks after and Whoops!

Hello Gang,
I hope all those folks who have had their surgeries are up reading this board! Meaning, I hope you are all feeling better.
Last weekend I was searching through the fridge. You know looking to graze!
Well, I opened the freezer door(top freezer model). Didn't find anything. So, I opened the fridge door, and squatted down. Yes, you guessed it! The freezer door didn't shut. The freezer door always shuts!
Well, I stood up taking the freezer door with me. Straight across my neck. Electricity all through my body, especially down my spine. I was terrified.
Weekend, no Neuro he's on a little holiday with his family. His, partner calls me back and says "double up on all your meds". If the pain worsens, "I'll be waiting for you at the ER."
Short story long. Nothing got worse, I had an appointment for yesterday. X-ray shows no damage, and I'm 90% fused. Neuro walks in and says "I don't like to redo my perfect surgeries. 2nd surgeries get ugly." His punishment! One more week in the collar.Start doing my weight trainning for sure! The electricity was the pulling of all my weak muscles. He perscribed some tramadol. I feel better, today!
I guess the lesson continues too be. Take it easy and careful even 13 weeks out.
Just some more anxiety to add to the long list. I don't like taking these drugs, but I guess its tramadol, and Xanax for a little while longer.
Regards,
Ice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
(female)

Melindafm HB User
Re: 13 weeks after and Whoops!

Ouch... You sound like me. When I was six weeks out (2 weeks ago) my hubby took me for a nice walk in the local park. The sun was in my eyes and I was busy looking at the birds instead of the ground. Well up popped a tree root and boy did it take me out. I did an actual belly flop to the ground and then slid a few feet (on grass). I must have been a sight and we were over 1/2 mile down the trail. I layed still for a few minutes and then we carefully limped back to the car. Of course this was a Saturday on a holiday weekend so couldn't call doc til Tuesday. I had immense muscle spasms. Doc's assistant figured I was ok and just called in more muscle relaxer for me. I guess this plate in the neck is holding tight. I won't know til Feb 9 when I get my first x-ray to see how fusion is doing. Hope your muscles settle down quickly. It always seems like 2 steps forward, one back!

Old 01-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
(female)

deannette1 HB User

Hello Ice and Melindafm, Glad to hear that you both are ok. I too find myself doing things that seem simple and end up scaring the crap out of me. Just the other day I was reaching for something (which I had no business doing) and felt an awkard pull in my neck. Luckily I had a dr's appt the next day and she fussed at me about reaching but she said my x-rays look pretty good and I go in 3 weeks for a CT scan. So lessons learned be very careful.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Hi all,

Geez...thank Goodness your alright. I was 3 months out from having my cervical and lumbar fusions and leaving my driveway, had already pulled out, started driving, made a left turn on the next street and some drunk idiot, slammed into the drivers side back panel, looked at me, and took off. I was in so much pain, scared and a crying mess. Thank God, I was fine other than some muscle spasms.

But I definately know the new surgery whoops scare. Thank goodness you are all okay from your scares as well.

Take care and good luck to you on your continued recovery,

Bernie

Last edited by Tucsonlady40; 01-25-2007 at 08:46 PM.

Closed Thread