It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2007, 06:51 PM   #1
(female)

deannette1 HB User
Scar reports........What do you think?

Hey everyone,
I just wanted to know what everyone thought about their scar? and what you were putting on it now? I had ACDF on 12/4/06 and the scar is about 2.5 inches long on the right side of my neck. It doesnt look like this thing is going anywhere. I've heard alot of different opinions on different types of creams and remedies but am now more confused. My dr suggested silicon patches but I havent heard anything about it.

Just wanted to hear about others stories on their scars.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User
Re: Scar reports........What do you think?

Hi Deannette1,

My surgeon made my incision on one of the folds of my neck..lol (wrinkle). It was pretty prominate for about 6 months or so, and then it went down quite a bit.

I've been told to use vitamin E. I haven't used much other than a moisturizer from avon, and my scar looks good.

Take care,

Bernie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2007, 06:23 AM   #3
(female)

Melindafm HB User

I too have been told to use Vitamin E oil. My scar is quite red and very evident at this point. I have read to cover it with a bandaid and put sunscreen on it if you are out in the sun. Someone also told me to use Pond's cold cream (home remedy?). I hope some will chime in that had surgery a year or more ago. I have also been told to massage around it as much as possible to keep down the scar tissue build up. Any thoughts on that?

Old 01-26-2007, 06:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Hi,

I was told by my pt to rub my scar area, that it helps to break up the scar tissue.

Take care,
Bernie

Old 01-26-2007, 07:20 AM   #5
Inactive

dennisgb HB User

I am 2 1/2 years out, and you can barely see my scar.

Doc put it in a wrinkle in my neck, like others said, and that helps hide it. Creams with vitamin E help. Also, Udder Cream (used on cow udders, ha!), is actually very good at reducing the scar.

Dennis

Old 01-26-2007, 08:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

When is a good time to start massaging it? I am 16 days out and was told to start putting vit. E on it.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:09 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

I have had two surgeries through same incision and it looks great.

Don't put anything on the scar until the incision is healed (sealed). After that I used 2 things. At Walgreens they sell this vitamin E oil and I used it 2-3 times a day for a month after. To help speed up removing the color from your scar and really flatening it, try using "Scar Therapy", these little strips you wear over the scar like a band aid.

A friend swears by Palmer Cocoa Butter.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:38 AM   #8
(male)

icejohnb HB User

Well My Neuro;
Every visit its Maderma(sp). Frankly, for us guys its macho! I can't imagine the great "pick-up lines". Unfortunately at 13 weeks unless I shave for a really long time. My scar is hardly noticeable.
I have been taking alot of vitamins and minerals tho. Maybe thats whats doing it?
Who knows?
Ice

Old 01-26-2007, 04:45 PM   #9
(female)

ms.titanium HB User

For my ACDF 5 years ago I went to a health food store and they recommended a cream with tea tree oil in it. I bought some and I think it worked very well. It was very soothing. When I went back for more, the product was no longer carried by the store. My scar is on the left side of my neck and as long as I stay out of the sun you can barely see it. The almost 2 year old scar on the back of my neck is a different story. It runs right down the middle about 4 inches and is wide and ugly. Thank goodness I keep my hair long and don't wear a pony tail out in public.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Living in Arizona I knew my scar could get too much sun exposure and I wanted to put on sun screen. But, I didn't want to be carrying around a tube of it everywhere I went. When I went out in the sun I used a 45 SPF lip balm made by Banana Boat and it was great (plus easy to apply). As for reducing the scar I used curad scar sheets (I had a reaction to Mederma since it's made of some plant products that I am allergic to, but it was worth a try and many swear by it!)

Closed Thread