It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
(male)

cmatthews1326 HB User
Would you do it again??

I had c5-6 surgery a year ago. I had a lot of pain at the time and lost my entire tricep muscle. I could only lift 5lbs above my head 2 times. The doc said that the surgery was necessary due to the fact I might not get the weakness back. I felt great after the surgery until now. I am starting to have some residual pain. I am experiencing radicular arm pain now. I am now regretting having the surgery and wish I would have waited a little longer to see if I could have gotten my strenght back. To all of you out there, are you glad you did it or do you wish you would have waited?

Old 01-31-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
(male)

icejohnb HB User
Re: Would you do it again??

Hello All,
I waited 8 or 9 months before I had my bilevel. Everyday previous to the surgery I could feel something a little different, a little more painful. Let alone the anxiety.
The "negligent" driver hit me in July of 05. I wish I would've had the surgery in August!
I believe and this is only an assumption, that I would be in much better shape. Increased stamina, strength, etc. I realize now that its gonna take a year or more to get back close to what I had.
Regards ,all you spinal cord Disorder folk!
Ice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
(female)

Katie2005 HB User

I just had surgery on the 23rd of January. On disc's 3/4 and would have it done again if need be on another disc.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
(female)

ShepherdLady HB User

In my case, I had no choice really. My disc's herniated centrally, straight back into my spinal cord causing a severe spinal stenosis with myelopathy.

I could have fallen or had a car wreck and end up paralyzed or dead. Or it could have all stayed the same or progressed rapidly and me end up being paralyzed.

With you new weakness and arm pain, you know it is possible that you're having new issues with your cervical nerve roots?

Old 02-02-2007, 07:16 AM   #5
Inactive

dennisgb HB User

I had ACDF surgery on C5-6 and C6-7 with donor bone, plating and BMP on June 30th 2004.

I am 54 years old. I lived with differing levels of pain for 20 years before the surgery. For the first 10 years, they didn't know what was wrong with me. Essentially, I was a cronic complainer as far as the doctors were concerned. 10 years before the surgery, I was finally diagnosed, and that actually made my life a little easier, because at least I knew what was wrong.

Finally, the problem got to the point where I couldn't deal with the pain anymore and I had the surgery. I woke up in the recovery room and thought to myself "this is what it feels like to be free of pain!" Then I figured it was just the drugs I was on, yet, I had a herniated disc in my lower back, and I could feel that, so I knew that the surgeon had finally "fixed" me. I really didn't feel the pain from the surgery, because the pain going in was so bad, that the cutting and splicing really didn't bother me too much. It's amazing how the body adjusts to pain.

Today, and probably 6-8 months after the surgery, I am 99% pain free. I still have a little tingle on the tip of my left index finger when I move certain ways, that accounts for the 1%.

I have maintained an excercise regiment given to me by my physical therapist, that I think helps to keep my neck and body strong, as well as reduce muscle spasms, which I still get on occasion. If I stay on top of it, I feel like I did before any of this ever started. Sure there are some limits on things I can do, but for the most part I do anything I want to.

I would do it again without question. I wished I could have done it much sooner, because I lost a good part of my life over those 20 years I waited. There were many very bad days where I either suffered, or was in bed because the pain was so bad.

Dennis

Old 08-30-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
(female)

Jessarr HB User

How are you feeling now a days. Ihave disks causing spinal stenois and causing mylomalacia (sifenting of the soinal cord) I am 33 and scheduled tohave c3c4-c4c5-c5c6 fused. Would you do it again. I am confident if this is the right choice I will be good but I am always hearing stories of how things gop wrong or pain returns.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User

Jessarr
Just curious since you are doing 2 multi level fusion where are you having youe surgery done? (we both live is S. Fla.)

July

Old 08-30-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Yes but with a different surgeon! And an incision on the LEFT side!

JUly

Old 08-30-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

I had a 2 level fusion (c5-C7) last Jan. I am very glad I did it, but I still have a bad level (C4-C5), which is causing me alot of pain. I guess my surgeon didnt think it was bad enough to fuse then. I will probably have to in a several years. Who knows. I do not regret my fusion. I would be alot worse without out it.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:08 PM   #10
(female)

Jessarr HB User

Plantation, fl -Westside Regional.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:11 PM   #11
(female)

Jessarr HB User

Thank you for the vote of confidence. My surgeon suggested I did three levels so I would not have to do it again. Thank you for your input!!! You made a difference.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:26 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

I guess there were pros and cons about that level I didnt do. All I know is I am in alot of pain from it. The thing that freaks me out the most is that domino effect of the different levels going bad after fusion. (adjacent segment disease). My adjacent segment that hurts now was already not good when I had the fusion. I am pretty sure it is bound to get worse, who knows when. I am afraid if I ever get that one fused, then the next level will go bad too. Make sure you familiarize yourself with that possiblility because its common. Sorry to be a drag, but its real important to know about this possibility. The adjacent segment takes the brunt of the movement and goes bad faster. Do a web search if you want to know more. Its all over the net.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:00 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Good! Not my Doc.

Closed Thread