It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
(female)

bdancer HB User
I am back after surgery 1/23 from bdancer

HI first time back after surgery : surgery went beautifully (my bones are in good shape) and now have my leg and arm back and am able to go the bathroom without urgency and leaking!! so I already have good benefits but.... I had a bad reaction to the IV pain meds and they left me without pain meds for 24 hours after surgery!!! I was shaking etc... before they finally gave some crushed up vicodin..I can't believe they expect the patient to request and control the pain meds post op it is such a croc of ... after surgery you are in such a vulnerable state...and the hospital (HSS in manahattan) did a terrible job of post op care.. I am going to give htem a formal complaint next week. I came home early because the care here is better and my husband can crush pills and keep a schedule better than those nurses! Dealing with the collar at night is a pain! I position with sidelying on wedge.. my surgeon said as long as the neck and spine are straight it doesn't matter if you are on your back or side and it helps to get that pressure off the back of your head... well I'll write more later..hope everyones surgery went well this week!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
(female)

Melindafm HB User
Re: I am back after surgery 1/23 from bdancer

Glad to see you came through. Yes the first 12 -24 hours after surgery are the absolute worst for pain (so my doc said). That is why they should give you intravenous morphine a few times and then switch to by mouth. After that it is all uphill as far as pain management. Just remember to take pain meds and muscle relaxers before the pain/spasms set in. It won't be too long before you will probably be off pain meds or at least reduced. I too had a reaction to something they gave me at the hospital. Once I got home everything settled down. Sleeping is a challenge but eventually you find what is comfortable and go with it. Sounds like you are well on your way to managing the whole recovery, yeah!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Jean,
Happy to see you made it OK. Sorry to hear they were so incompetent at the hospital. That is so unnecessary. Aren't you glad you got it overwith, though? I found the before stage worse than the after. I Hope you feel a little bit bett er everyday and I am so glad alot of your symptoms are already gone.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
(male)

NYD HB User

I had the same issues at the hospital. I had been on oxycontinn for 7 years prior so I required meds just to reach a baseline. Someone misplaced my chart and left me with just the pump. It was so nice going through W/D's right after surgery. On top of that they could only find one, tiny, flat pillow!!!!!

My NS was amazing. Post Op care was a joke, though. You take what you get in Canada. I guess you can't complain. Free public health care.

It's great your surgery went well.

TAKE IT EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Healing.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
(female)

bdancer HB User

Hi again... I kept thinking of you guys and how well you said you were doing so it helped me make it through the worst of it.. and it is pretty bad the first day (esp with no pain meds) next question is how much and what pain medicines is everyone taking? and how long? days weeks months?? I am trying to get a handle on where i "should" be and does everyone take muscle relaxers? I had to specifically request them it seems they didn't really want me them?? well good night hope everyone can sleep more comfortably tonight jean

Old 01-27-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
(female)

bdancer HB User

PS does any one have burning spasms over their scapulas (shoulder blades) and a little higher??

Old 01-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Jean,
I have the pain in the scapula thing, too. Its not horrible, but then again I have had severe spasms for the last 5 yrs., so this is better than it was. I have them in the trapezius, too. But all less than pre-surgery.
I had a NIGHTMARE situation with my ex husband of 8 yrs. (we were married for 20) yesterday (like you would NOT believe). He came over to get the dog and we had an altercation on the phone right before). Yea, we share the dog. ( ). He yelled at me on the phone, which got me utterly upset (which my new husband wanted to kill him). By the time the ex showed up, I was not going to deal with him. But then he asked my husband about some figure that he needed to write me a ck. so I had to come downstairs. Well, I was EXTREMELY tired from going to the grocery store and a few horrible nights sleep, so I was in a state, shall we say. When he came over, he came into the kitchen, my current husband was sitting right there, and I got out EVERYTHING that I had been mad about for the last 8 yrs, that he has never owned up to. (cheating and some hitting). Right there in front of my new husband, my ex had to sit there and take it for about an hour). It was like something out of a freaking movie. I made him own up to all the stuff he did to me and I made him see the damage that moron caused me. I couldnt believe he didnt just walk out. He got so frazzled that when he wrote me a check, he miscalculated an extra $185. Well, the ole neck started to KILL me from the tension. I had to take Valium AND Vicodin over this whole debacle. I cannot tell you how great it felt to get all that stuff out of my system and in such a safe environment with my gem of a new husband sitting there. How surreal, you guys!!!!!! whew. Can you imagine. It was a day of amazing closure. Pretty pathetic, to watch your ex sit there and admit that he was a big old cheater and abuser, right in front of the new hubby (of 5 yrs).

Closed Thread