It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
(female)

crspy HB User
shoulder, arm and neck problems..don't understand MRI

My MRI is so confusing.
1. Mild bulging disc eccentric to the right side at C4-5 without central canal spinal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.
2. Mild bulging disc at C5-6 and there is mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing without central canal spinal stenosis. This is due to mild bilateral uncovertebral spurring.
3. Slight annular bulge at C6-7.

My problem is shoulder and elbow pain without neck pain.
The doc thinks it is coming from neck. I had shoulder surgery 16 months ago for spurs and shredded rotator cuff. The shoulder healed but neck started hurting real bad. Went through numerous negative tests and docs. They tried epidural injections in cervical spine with no change. Sent me back to ortho who injected my biceps tendonitis and tennis elbow. All symptoms including neck were gone for 8 months till I injured my elbow pulling something. I am being sent back to pain doctor as ortho doesn't think this is coming from arm but from neck. Any one have experience where the injury to the arm flares the neck. How do you treat this at the neck or arm.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
(female)

deannette1 HB User
Re: shoulder, arm and neck problems..don't understand MRI

Hmm....
This kinda sounds familiar. Let me give you the short version. I'm 28 yrs old and about 5-6 years ago I had a terrible pain in the back of my neck and left shoulder/arm. I told the dr's it was my neck but they insisted it was my shoulder. So, went to ortho surgeon and they found bursitis and bone spurs in my shoulder. Had them removed by acromioplasty and pain went away. 2 years later pain in neck return along with shoulder/arm pain again so I guess it all wasnt my shoulder. After another 2 years went by with a dull, burning pain in shoulder/arm finally went to see a nuerosurgeon had all types of test and it pretty much said the same as yours but showed a herniated disc in c4-5 and bulging disc in c5-c6. The nerves in c4-c5 area affect your arm so I was told. (I went to an orthopedic dr and didn't get any results so my primary referred me to a nuerosurgeon)So after 6 years I finally got some answers. I had ACDF surgery on 12/4/06 and so far so good the pain that I had in arm has gone but I guess true test will be when i return to work on monday. Hopefully this was of some kind of help good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2007, 07:51 AM   #3
(female)

bdancer HB User
Re: shoulder, arm and neck problems..don't understand MRI

just remember it can be more than one thing wrong at a time... and if you have a nerve that is being compressed at two or more sites it you will get some relief when one area of compression is removed but it may not last forever or be completely relieved... I have ct at both wrists , cubital tunnel on left and c5-6 (just had surgery) and l4-5 with both having spinal cord compression) so I chose to relieve the cervical pressure to see how much relief I get then I;ll go from there...

Closed Thread