It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
(male)

OhioGolfer HB User
Thumbs up ACDF February 7

Got my surgery date today -- February 7th @ 7:45 AM. I am in the study for the Medtronics 2 level artificial cervical disk, but was randomized to the control group -- so I will have the same C 4/5 and C 5/6 discectomy and fusion with plate that I would have had without the study. Somewhat disappointed, but at least ACDF is a tried and true operation, which my NS has performed thousands of times.

I have to admit to a mixture of anticipation (hopefully fix the pain and numbness) and trepidation (not looking forward to the surgery and recovery process)

Any tips out there for getting through this, both pre and post surgery?

Thanks.

Jeff

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
(female)

Melindafm HB User
Re: ACDF February 7

Good luck to you. Do you know why you weren't selected to get the artificial disk? I hope they gave you some kind of explanation. That would be frustrating if you had your hopes up and then they were dashed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
(male)

OhioGolfer HB User

No -- it is a double blind randomized study, which is what FDA requires for approval of most things, drugs and appliances. That way, the participating doctors cannot "cherry pick" the best candidates to get the drug/product being tested. Just pure luck of the draw. Sure, I'm a little disappointed, but the NS says either way should bring me relief, at least in large part.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Try not to worry TOO much. I am noticing that the people who had ACDF last week have had a hard time But I dont think it is the norm to have such a horrible experience. I feel for them alot. I know they are really going thru a bad time. But many many people do not have a bad time. Mine was on Jan. 10th and the only BAD time I had was that i went in with a major sinus infection (which I am still being treated for) and it made my surgery much harder because my sinuses killed me. My neck didnt hardly even hurt. The incision has never hurt me. I have had some muscles spasms (tightness) but I have had them for 5 yrs, so they dont bother me too much because I am so used to them. I feel vastly better right out of surgery than I did going into surgery. I still have numbness in my hands when I sleep. I hear that is the last thing to improve. I also do not know exactly what is carpal tunnel and what is the nerve stuff from the neck (as far as the ole hands go). But the real bad pain I had for 5 yrs is MUCH improved. Now if I could get my sleep issues fixed, I would really be GREAT! By the way, I am not wearing a collar and had ACDF C5-C7. I really think you will be feeling better very soon

Old 01-31-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
(female)

Melindafm HB User

Well luckily it was per the draw to be picked. That way at least you know there isn't something extra going on in your neck that would make them decide not to give you an artificial disk. I had 2 level acdf on 11/30/06 and am doing very good. I still have pain up the left side of my neck into my head above the incision and nerve firing in my head/shoulder with muscle spasms but almost daily things are improving. I did not take any Tylenol last night to sleep. I haven't taken heavy duty pain killers for sometime now. I do take 1/2 of muscle relaxer at night. I return to the Neuro doc on 2/9/07 to get xrays and see how my fusion is coming along. I cannot wait!

Closed Thread