It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
(female)

merissag HB User
Fused Spine-now I have a hot foot

Please I just want to know someone else has similiar symptoms after surgery. I had a spinal fusion, L5 to S1 I think on Jan 3rd.

Now I have terrible pain in my left foot. Does not seem to be swollen but is hotter to the touch (per a family member as I can not touch it). Socks are unbearable. Randomly it feels like an animal is biting right through the toes, sharp horrible pain.

When walking, my left foot gets too hard to pick up and I have to drag it behind me. My Dr's assistant was afraid it was a blood clot (I don't think it is) and moved my first follow up appointment from the end of Feb to the first.

Is this sensation common or something similar common? Will it go away? I am worse now than when I started and so depressed.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Fused Spine-now I have a hot foot

If it's a blood clot you can't wait at all. If you have severe pain or change in sensation get to an emergency room immediately.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
(female)

merissag HB User

I dont think it is a blood clot since the area is not red and did not fit all the symptoms she described. I am afraid it might be a damaged nerve. They gave me Lyrica for nerve pain, 75 mg 2 x's a day. I wonder if there might be something more effective? Also taking Percocet which just numbs my brain I think.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:08 AM   #4
(female)

deannette1 HB User

I had ACDF surgery on 12/4 and about a week after surgery I had sharp pains in my big toe to the mid of my arch. It felt like I was stepping on glass. Called the dr. and the assistant told me if it started to move to my leg then go to the hospital b/c it could be a blood clot. After about 2 weeks of it It disappeared. After talking to my Dr. she said it could be a nerve problem. So hopefully it goes away soon for ya and its nothing serious.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

this is just a thought here but try looking up info on 'charcots joint" and see what you think.this is just one possibility of many that could be responsible for your current symptoms.you can actually get charcots in any load bearing joint,espescially if there is any sort of loss of actual sensation or innervation in that area.like i said,just one possibility.the big thing here is that the heat is present.is this an actual heated area or do you just"percieve it that way?there is a huge difference.the best way to know for certain that any given area is actually hotter than another would be to go to any drug store and buy one of those temp strips?the ones that you usually buy for kids that you can place on their forehead to see if they have a fever?i bought one of these because of the RSD(also a possibility for you too)i have in my knee constantly was generating alot of heat,just in the knee area.my actual core body temp,because of SNS damage is actually lower than normal.but my knee itself was close to 102 degrees.really shocked me since it didn't feel THAT hot,but the strip told me exactly what that temp actually was.inflammation can generate heat in any area too.does this foot appear or just feel inflammed to you at all?Marcia

Closed Thread