It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 05:45 AM   #1
(female)

quilter58 HB User
Angry complications after 1/24 ACDF

Hi all......OY have I had some odd problems........in pre op, they started the antibiotic Vancomicin......almost immediately I had the feeling of a very hot head and outragous itching on my head.......they stopped that and gave me something different..........Surgery went ok.....4 hr........used my own bone, & hardware......2 levels.....when I got back to my room my throat went in to a spasm & I couldn' t breath........Very scary...........

Day 2 in the hospital........the morphine cause my bladder to spasm, would not release urine.......VERY PAINFUL......I SCREAMED AT THE NURSES THAT THEY HAD TO CATHERIZE ME....they said they had to scan my bladder and get a dr orders....I told them to get on it........I had never felt so much pain , thought my bladder was going to rupture....when they catherized me they got 1325cc of urine.......that's A BUNCH.......

The allergic reaction to the antibiotic became more clear as I started developing hives from top to bottom...............

Could not maintain an adequate blood pressure,,,,,,it hovered around 81/42,,,,
they continued with IV fluids to build up the pressure ........then I ran a fever.........I went in on Wednesday and left Sunday afternoon.......I got to leave after no fever and a blood pressure over 100.......

Today Tues, my hip bone where they took the bone is very painful........don't know if I tried to walk to much yesterday, today I will take it more easy.......
I don't feel good........that all for now..........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
(female)

bdancer HB User
Re: complications after 1/24 ACDF

OH my GOSH!! YOu poor thing out of all our op stories yours is definitely the worst... why would they go ahead with the surgery when they KNEW you were having a reaction to the antibiotic... that is soo stupid... and your poor bladder!! weren't they monitroing anyoutput with all the fluid going in?? sometimes I really amazed at our medical system it seems we step forward with technology and two steps backwards with common sense care!!!! hope you recover quickly! bdancer

Old 01-30-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
(female)

~Ro HB User

What a bummer to have to deal with all that and still have the hip pain on top of the neck pain. Here's hoping things get better now that you're home.

~Ro

Old 01-30-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Angela,
I am so sorry you are having such a rough time. I TOTALLY know what the bladder spasm issue feels like. I wont go into detail, but I also had neglect in the past when i needed to be catheterized. One time I ended up going home doing self cathetizing, which was a nightmare. I spasmed so bad doing that, they I had to get a regular Foley's catheter. Its a NIGHTMARE. Now, everytime I have any anesthesia, my bladder will not wake up for days. It happened on the 10th with my neck surgery. I can really identify with that misery. I think mine is because in 2002 I had bladder prolapse surgery and my bladder is weird after surgeries now. I hope you feel better SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-31-2007, 05:00 AM   #5
(female)

debysu46 HB User

I can relate to what you went thru. I had ACDF back in 2002 using my own bone from hip also. My surgery went fine, it was during recovery time that all went bad. Of course I do not know alot of what happened as I was in coma state for 4 days. They say it was negatvie pressure pulmonary edema. Upon waking from surgery, supposedly when I went to take a breath my lungs filled up. I was on life support for the days that followed. Now I am terrified of surgery. I nearly lost my life. Now here I am nearly 5 years later and have 2 more herniated disc, which been to 2 drs and both say its bad enough for surgery. I have refused. They say its just a matter of time until I cry Uncle.
As for the hip, I wish I would have never done that, I have severe pain to this day. Somedays I can barely walk, some days are fine. The pain keeps from sleeping and my normal activities and I had always been pretty active.
I hope that you have better luck than I did in this area.
I wish you the best on your recovery.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
(female)

quilter58 HB User
Wink Re: complications after 1/24 ACDF

Hi All......I am somewhat better..........the only issues I seem to have at this time is walking upright without pain and sleeping.........I am walking through out the day but still pretty painful......not enough for major pain meds......but I do need a sleeping pill..........can't seem to get comfy with this collar..........Someone else on here said " Can't wait to curl up on my side and snuggle with my pillow!!" That is my take also.........Thanks to all for your concern.......quilter

Old 01-31-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
(female)

bdancer HB User

Dear Quilter

I sleep on my side! doc said it was fine as long as spine stays straight and actually it is much more comfy for my head .. sleeping on back the aspen digs in to skull! even at a slant.. I have a feather pillow with a 30 degree slant cushion and I position pillow to fill in shoulder space and just cradle head and then wrap arms around another pillow it is the best position!

Old 02-01-2007, 06:41 AM   #8
(female)

Melindafm HB User

I could not sleep in the Aspen on my back either because of it digging into my skull. I finally got some little cotton pads (cosmetic cleaning pads) and stuck them around the edge of my Aspen especially around the ears. This helped cushion it a little. I probably looked like the ad on TV now where the guy and girl are on the sofa and he starts pulling cotton out of her hair. She uses it to poof up her hair. Can't remember what they are advertising, shampoo maybe.

I also trimmed some of the plastic tab things around the back so the plastic wouldn't jab into my head. It also helped a little.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #9
(female)

ShepherdLady HB User

You poor thing!!

I wonder why they didn't cauterized you before your surgery?? I woke up and they told me I was, LOL I didn't even know. At least I was anesthetized when they did it. The only good thing about it is you don't have to get up and pee all night long...LOL!!

My only hitch I had is in the recovery room I guess my magnesium and calcium was low after surgery so they had to give me some in my IV. Holy Moly! That stuff set my hand on fire!

So sorry about all your problems.

At least you're home now and doing well I hope?

Old 02-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #10
(female)

quilter58 HB User

Thanks I am better everyday.......the hip incision is giving cause for concern ...but all in all I am better........I DO NOT HAVE ANY NUMBNESS OR SYMPTOMS I HAD BEFORE SURGERY......So that must have worked.......
Blessings to all...........

Closed Thread