It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
(male)

jdra HB User
ASPEN Collar

I am new here and have viewed many different posts. I have noticed a great deal of differences on the recovery of ACDF patients. I had the surgery (my c5/c6/c7 with uniplate/scrs) and was REQUIRDED to wear a ASPEN for 8 weeks.

Why are there so many differences?
I may be looking at a Lumbar surgeryu in the near future, what type of brace should I be expecting to wear - and for how long???

Thanks all....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User
Re: ASPEN Collar

Welcome to the boards...

Well from what I understand, some of it has to do with how conservative and precautionary the doctor is and some of it has to do with healing. I've heard up to 2 levels with a plate and not having to wear a collar. 3 levels like you had... I don't think I've heard anyone of being without a collar after surgery.

With my doc, I had one level done and I didn't have to have a collar, however I was under teh impression that if I had 2 levels done I would have had to wear a collar for a while, but as I mentioned, some people have had 2 levels and not have had to wear one.

keeping things still and stable in the collar helps reduce irritation and probably a degree of swelling. I wasn't required to wear it after surgery, but there were times where I needed to use it to give myself a break from post-op symptoms, it did help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2007, 04:38 AM   #3
(male)

jdra HB User

Thanks Pearl....
Out of curiosity, is mine considered a 2 level or 3 level? It was 2 discs with 3 vert's fused? And I WAS a smoker of 20 years prior to this surg which may have to do with the extra precautions?
I did quit smoking at the end of April, with surg in the mid of July......

That is one reason, probablly the only one, that i was thankful for having bad genes that led to this surg! LOL

Old 01-31-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

C5-C7 is considered a 2 level. I had the same one on Jan 10th

Old 01-31-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
(male)

jdra HB User

Thank-you, thats what I thought, but i was a little confused by the previous post.....

Closed Thread