It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
(female)

boxer_dog_luv HB User
more leg tingling & confusion over medical treatment

The slight and occasional tingling and numbness around the ankle intermittently in Nov. has progressed to most all the time the whole side of the lower left leg. Still having the same stabbing mid-back pain since August wreck, no change whatsoever. I'm getting a little frightened b/c whenever I get up to walk the numbness is apparent and I keep finding myself misstepping or off balance.

My new family doc - only seen once in Nov. - put me on 800 mg ibuprofen, said it would take a while for soft tissue/muscle spasms to heal and advised me to walk and strengthen stretched muscles. I have done exactly that and am most distinctly worse. Still not sleeping--wake up from back pain.

Anyhow last week, I could see the PAC on Mon. but the doctor was not available until 4 weeks. Saw PAC for 1st time who noted that I was in active muscle spasm at the time (like it was something that I could control???) and upon the heartburn, GI bleeding, and stomach pain switched the ibuprofen to naproxen (Aleve) with Prilosec. She ordered a thoracolumbar x-ray which is scheduled this week. Then the strange thing, she told me her best advice was to get a massage every other week until I see the doc again in 4 weeks and for my muscle spasms, this could really be helped by a chiropractor. This is contrary verbatim to what the doc said last visit - he told me NOT under any circumstances to allow any massage therapy or chiropractics.

I don't want to have a track record of being a noncompliant patient and to be honest, I was stunned when she smiled broadly and made that suggestion that she was ordering me to get a massage and how my husband would love paying for it since ins. won't. I told her at that time, no chiropractors since my neck was fused and that I had bad experiences with chiropractors possibly doing more damage before my ACDF in '04. (That was my own fault but I know better now.) I can't believe our reputable massage therapist here would see me given the medical diagnosis; I myself being a lay person would run the other way before I would do anything to a patient with an unknown diagnosis. This x-ray is the absolute first diagnostic study that has been ordered since the accident. I have been treated ultra-conservatively with my complaints minimized to the hilt. Maybe the x-ray will show something or give further clues of what to do. I don't know why an MRI was not ordered to see what is going on in that area. Not knowing what is causing the pain is extremely difficult but it is real pain that awakes me from sleep every night. If I were uptight or rigid, then as I see it, I would not awaken myself from a sound sleep at 3-4 a.m. every night with stabbing pain in same spot. My first doc rationalized you're in the car and unconsciously tense due to the previous accident. I never wake up lifelong unless there is a specific reason--like the years of misery of same before the C5-6 and 6-7 ACDF; I got the best sleep of my life after that was fixed up to this accident and it has turned back the clock. Anyone had similar?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread