It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
(female)

Suzq222 HB User
Surgery now or wait????

I just met with the surgeon yesterday, he said I'm a good candidate for 2 level, C4/5/6/7 ACDF. I have deterioration of the disks and a bone spur which has bothered me since last summer. At the moment the pain is bearable because I was on a 5 day dose of steroids due to larangytis (sp) 2 weeks ago, but before I started the meds the pain was coming back after a
2nd facet block the beginning of Jan. My question is - Do I go ahead now with the surgery or wait for the pain to return? The doc said it would take about a month from the time I give the goahead to surgery date. If I don't do it now I would wait until next fall because I don't want to do it during the summer. It doesn't feel like the pain is bad enough to go ahead but I do know how bad it can get within a short period of time. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Old 02-01-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Re: Surgery now or wait????

The levels you mentioned sound like 3 levels to me. C4-5, C5-6, and C6-7. Is that right?
I had the same thing you are experiencing. I dont know how long you have been going thru it. I went thru 5 years of it and tried everything. I finally gave in and had a 2 level surgery on Jan. 10th. I wish I didnt wait so long because I really suffered too long, unnecessarily. I am 51. You didnt mention your age, if you dont mind me asking?
I already feel better after my surgery. I know its a LONG haul to heal, but for me, I am glad I am at least on that path. Before it was one injection or therapy after another. ENDLESS. I just got to the end of the line and went for it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
(female)

Suzq222 HB User

Sorry about the misdiagnosis, I'm sort of new at this. It is 2 level and I think it's 4-5 and 5-6. The problem started July 2006 and I've gone through physical therapy, 2 ESI's and 2 facet blocks. Each time the pain has returned after a few weeks. We're also about the same age, I'm 49 (and holding). My gut feeling is to go ahead and have it taken care of before the bad pain comes back again and I do know how bad it can get. Most people I've talked to have also said they waited too long also. When I think of my "quality of life" I realize there's a lot I can not do now because of my pain.
Thanks for the input.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
(female)

Melindafm HB User

I am 50 years old. I started with problem at 48. I put off going to doc and finally gave in and went to Chriropracter in March 2006. He checked me out, wouldn't touch me and referred me on to Orthopaedic. The Ortho is in a large group of doctors (he doesn't do surgery). He tried facet, 2 epidurals and physcial therapy from May 2006 to October 2006. Pain never went away completely. Physical Therapist said he had never seen a knot like was in my neck and would put me in traction or nothing (just massage, heat/cold, Tens and a few exercises). Finally Ortho decided to send me to one of the surgeons in the group. At first he was going to send me to the Ortho who specializes in Spine and changed his mind and sent me to the Neurosurgeon in the group (don't know whole reason). I was very glad to go to the Neurosurgeon. Anyway, my understanding is that the longer you put off surgery the more damage you may be doing to the nerves if they are compressed. I wouldn't put it off too long. I had my surgery 11/30/06. I still have spasms and nerve pain but only if I overexert myself. It is a long journey to have this surgery but I feel will be worth all in the end.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:23 PM   #5
(female)

deannette1 HB User

Hello I am 28yrs old and was in pain for 5-6 years. I am now wondering why I waited so long. I had c4/5/6 levels done on Dec 4th. I am having a few minor problems but definetly no where near the problems that I had before surgery. Just make sure whatever you decide that you understand the risks involved. Also I think about if I had of done it sooner would it have been better because I was doing more damage to myself by waiting so long. But, the choice is yours. Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:22 PM   #6
(female)

ShepherdLady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzq222 View Post
Sorry about the misdiagnosis, I'm sort of new at this. It is 2 level and I think it's 4-5 and 5-6. The problem started July 2006 and I've gone through physical therapy, 2 ESI's and 2 facet blocks. Each time the pain has returned after a few weeks. We're also about the same age, I'm 49 (and holding). My gut feeling is to go ahead and have it taken care of before the bad pain comes back again and I do know how bad it can get. Most people I've talked to have also said they waited too long also. When I think of my "quality of life" I realize there's a lot I can not do now because of my pain.
Thanks for the input.
I think you answered your own question. All I can say is go with your gut.

Seems like most people do wish they hadn't of waited so long. And feel so much better afterwards.

Also, I don't know your situation, but some folks do wait to long and end up with permanent nerve damage. So that is something to keep in mind.

Good luck!!

Closed Thread