It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
(male)

OhioGolfer HB User
2/7 Surgery Update -- BMP Planned

Well, had my Pre-Op exam, blood work, etc. yesterday, including the flexion and extension X-Rays. Tech was surprised that I could flex as far as I did -- I paid for it later in spasms. I have a little sinus thing going on, courtesy of my son, but NS office called and said it was no big deal. Called my PCP, and will likely see them today. I figure as long as NS doesn't see it as a roadblock, I would rather get it overwith. If I am going to be in pain and miserable, might as well really do it right!

Asked the surgeons nurse about the fusion --whether it was allograft or autograft. She said that they only use BMP now for most people, and I will have BMP. Researched it a little here, and it seems like there have been generally favorable results. There are a couple of articles out there that talk about increased throat swelling with BMP, although they are over a year old. Anybody experience this problem?

5 days to go. Still apprehensive, but generally better about things. I had quit smoking a few months ago, but picked up again when the pain/stress got too much. However, I have been back on the wagon since finding out about the surgery. No real problems either -- amazing what some external motivation will do for you.

Any input on the BMP thing, or anything else, would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff

Old 02-02-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
Inactive

dennisgb HB User
Re: 2/7 Surgery Update -- BMP Planned

When I had my surgery 2 1/2 years ago I was in a study on BMP and donor bone, prior to when it was in general use.

It does cause more swelling, and I had to go back to emergency room, because I couldn't swallow my meds. I could breathe okay, just couldn't swallow. They gave me some steroids and I was fine in a few hours. Well, not fine exactly...due to surgery...you know what I mean.

After that there were no ill effects.

I would suspect they will caution you on this. At the time I had it, they didn't know all of the effects. Some people don't have the extra swelling.

Stay off the smokes. I was a smoker too, so I know it's not easy, but it screws up the fusion.

Dennis

Last edited by dennisgb; 02-02-2007 at 09:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Well, I am the one who had her surgery on Jan 10th, with a bad sinus infection. They (surgeon and anesthesiologist) told me it would be no problem. My sinus Dr. said to NOT do the surgery and wait. I ended up doing it and let me tell you......man....I got so sick from the sinuses (I am just NOW off of antibiotics for the sinuses TODAY), that I cannot tell you how horrible it was having the surgery on top of that infection. I ended up so bad that I had to take steroids 3 days after the surgery. My neck felt OK, but I was a disaster from the sinuses. If you infection is bad, I would wait. I would never do that again. I have chronic sinusitis, so maybe that is why I got so bad.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:47 PM   #4
(male)

OhioGolfer HB User

Thanks for the input. Not a bad sinus deal, just the usual mid-winter gift from my son. My PCP this afternoon said no worries with surgery, and gave me an anti-biotic and decongestant. At this point, I have everything geared up for the surgery in terms of work, family, and mental condition. Not sure I could ramp down and then ramp up again. ;-) My son is almost over his deal, so I should be good by Monday. If not, I will reassess, but for now it is full speed ahead! (Hopefully not into the iceberg . . )

Jeff

Old 02-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

I can TOTALLY relate to being ramped and wanting to get the thing overwith!! I was supposed to have my surgery originally on Dec. 21st, but then Denver had a HUGE blizzard and it got postponed till Jan. 10th. Then the sinus issue. I couldnt take waiting anymore. I had everything perfectly planned for that Dec. date. I couldnt face replanning AGAIN. Anyway, it all worked out in the end and I am doing well. Good Luck. I know you will do great and feel so much better soon!!!

Old 02-02-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
(female)

quilter58 HB User

I did not have 1 urge for a cigarette in the hospital........fighting the urges now but they are not real bad..........mostly I get busy doing or thinking about something else..........

Good Blessings on the 7th, I will say a prayer for you.......I am 9 days out with a 2 level, hardware, and used my own bone.......You will do fine , start buttering up your family, give them lots of support and it comes back 10 fold.......quilter

Old 02-03-2007, 06:51 AM   #7
(female)

bdancer HB User

HI Ohio

I had the bone marrow thing... yes my throat felt like the worst case of strep I ever had the first day only.. doc said I would feel so much better the second day and he was right (hard to admit it) also was on solid food by day 5-6 so be prepared for alot of jello and pudding !! YUK! also the hip hurts more than they say so ice ice ice baby! You won't feel it until like a week after which I thought was weird, but they said it was normal... now it only hurts in morning with first few steps more I walk better it gets during the day... bdancer

Closed Thread