It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
(female)

~Ro HB User
Easy way to quit cigarettes before surgery

I was just reading how some of you have quit smoking for this surgery. I, too was told it was imperative to quit. I smoked for the most part of 30 years, and I'm only 43! I have attempted quitting countless times, using every device, gum, patches, inhalers, hypnosis and accupuncture to no avail. However, I told my doctor that I wanted to give the newly approved by the FDA pill, Chantix a try. It somehow psyches our brains to not miss the nicotine by not giving us any nicotine.

I started the pills about a month before the surgery and continued to smoke on the pills. The pills, (at week two, you have to take the pill twice a day) made me have a tummy ache that lasted 10 minutes each time I took the pill. But after week one, the cigarettes started tasting nasty. So, I quit them, 2 weeks before surgery on 1/23. I had absolutely NO cravings for nicotine or sweets or anything in my mouth. It was so awesome to not be a slave to the cigarettes or gain a ton of weight because I quit.

Now, the pills don't make me nauseus at all. Compared to the number of nic-fits I had while trying all other ways to quit; a quick, little, 10 minute tummy ache, twice a day for a few weeks, was a very small price to get off them. I'm supposed to be on the medication for 3 months, (the time our bodies are no longer physically addicted) and from what I heard from my doctor, I won't be going back to the butts. She said that she's seen more patients quit & stay off the cigarettes in record time with the Chantix!

Finally a drug that makes quitting relatively pain free! I hope I stay off them, I have quit & failed so many times before but this time, I really don't miss them. What's funniest is that nobody even knew I quit smoking because I didn't make a big deal of it at all and wasn't the insane monster like I normally turned into with all the other attempts.

Good luck all,
~Ro

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #2
(female)

ms.titanium HB User
Re: Easy way to quit cigarettes before surgery

First of all CONGRATULATIONS!! I think one of the hardest things I have ever done was to quit smoking. I tried everything and finally just did it cold turkey. It's been 8 years. To be honest I still have a craving every now and then, it just gets easier to ignore as time goes by. The best advise I can give anyone trying to quit is to never give up. If you fall off the wagon and smoke, just start over and quit again. Good luck!

Old 02-04-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
(female)

ember919 HB User

I've been surpised by the number of smokers or ex-smokers on this board. You know, they tell you to quit after the surgery because smoking supposedly inhibits bone healing, but now I really wonder if any of us are in this situation because we smoked in the past? Did smoking contribute to the problems or make them worse than they'd have been if we had been non-smokers? I was off and on for years, but never smoked a lot like some do.

Just idle observation/curiosity.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
(female)

~Ro HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember919 View Post
I've been surpised by the number of smokers or ex-smokers on this board. You know, they tell you to quit after the surgery because smoking supposedly inhibits bone healing, but now I really wonder if any of us are in this situation because we smoked in the past? Did smoking contribute to the problems or make them worse than they'd have been if we had been non-smokers? I was off and on for years, but never smoked a lot like some do.

Just idle observation/curiosity.
I believe you actually have some validity in your observation/curiosity. When I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in July 05, my first thought was the smoking did it to me. Nope. ... however ... because the hyperthyroidism I had, (prior to the radioiodine treatment that fried my thyroid to render me hypothryoid) was the most common, Graves disease of the eyes, (but affects your whole body & functions ... joy). I now see double, (what was actually the reason my herniated disks in my neck were diagnosed and is presently the least of my worries) and from what my endocrinologist told me is that if I didn't quit smoking, my vision would continue to get worse. So, my eyesite may never go back to single vision but if I stay off the butts, it won't get worse & I can still read & drive. :-)

When I see him tomorrow, I'm going to ask him to clarify that and ask him his opinion on my herniated disks. I trust his knowledge in many matters. He told me that of the people who get Graves Disease, people who smoke get double vision 15 times more than people who don't, so of the Graves disease patients, 1 non-smoker will get double vision, compared to 15 smokers. I always knew this could bite me in the butt but, I was a defient rebel, I kind of still am ... which makes it difficult in this lovely Aspen collar for the next 10 or so weeks. ;-) Anyway, I digress, my Endro. knows his pharmaceuticals well and prescribed my blood pressure medicine, which is the main reason I'm seeing him.

I still can't sleep through the night due to the pain waking me up, my blood pressure is a little high but the chest pains are subsiding. I want him to do some bloodwork to make sure everything in my endocrine system is where it should be considering the procedure I went through only 12 days ago.

I really hope I quit the cigarettes before doing extreme damage, and get other diseases like a heart attack, stroke, empysymia & lung cancer or any other horrid disease. This is hard enough to go through at what should be the prime of my life, (43). Believe me, it's hard for my family too because they are just realizing that I truly did most everything in and out of this house for this home and I can't play the martyr anymore. What a learning experience this whole ordeal seems to be. As was being diagnosed with hyperthyroidsim, which started my intense thirst to know what was wrong & why & how I was going to cope & make my kids, (age 10 & 13, plenty old enough to do ALL the chores) do what was expected of me when I was growing up and what I expect of them. Now, they have to do a bit more, while their dad is exhausted trying to keep up with it all and doing a fine job if I do say so. He's able to work from home while being here for me but realises it's a lot of work and takes alot of planning out here in the middle of nowhere to keep house & activities running smoothly.

Sorry to ramble, I probably gave you all way more information than you wanted but I do believe smoking has exasperbated conditions we may all were prone to anyway, hence making the situation, let's say, not so pleasant.

~Ro

Old 02-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #5
(female)

ember919 HB User

It's part of why Healthboards is so interesting - reading about similarities so you know you're not alone in how you're feeling. I think almost everyone has expressed the "but I'm only [fill in age]" sentiment at one point or another, though I'd say "average" here tends to run from late 30s to early 50s. My neck problem were not the result of any sort of injury, just boring old arthritis.

I've noticed the smoking thing and that many people are/were heavy computer users. That bad head-forward posture! I've also noticed fairly frequent mention of hyPOthyroidism among the women, but I don't think ever from any of the men.

Just wonder often what other sorts of commonalities and causes there may be that we aren't aware of, or that just haven't come to light in the medical community yet.

The recovery part IS hard for family members, partly because they're thrust into unfamiliar roles and partly because they aren't experiencing and therefore cannot fully understand your pain and discomfort.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:18 AM   #6
Inactive

dennisgb HB User

Smoking can be a contributing factor.

The disks are degenerating from birth, because they have a captive moisture content. There are no blood vessels carrying moisture to them. Eventually they dry out. Smoking accelerated this. It also reduces blood flow by restricting veins and arteries.

There is a lot of good info on this on the web.

Dennis

Closed Thread