It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2007, 04:58 AM   #1
(female)

badbackpeg HB User
2 weeks post op acdf C6/7

Hello everyone.

I can't believe it has been 2 weeks since my surgery allready. I thought about it for months.

I am doing quite well, but still have sore muscles in arms and legs,not nearly as bad as before, I assume hat will get better with time.

I stopped the percoset, and am taking ultram for what little pain I have left.
I am so thankful the surgery helped me

My sister says I walk alot better, she said before the surgery, I staggard, and walked like I was walking on eggs. Well I was always afraid I would fall with the cord compression I had.

Doc said I could drive after 2 weeks, so off I go, I am ready, I get cabin fever real easy. He didn't want me to wear a collar other than the soft collar I has on after surgery, but I am completely free of neck pain.

Just wanted to post and say how I am doing.

God Bless,

Peggy

Old 02-06-2007, 06:32 AM   #2
(male)

OhioGolfer HB User
Re: 2 weeks post op acdf C6/7

That is great new! This is particularly nice for me to hear, since I have my C4/5, C5/6 ACDF tomorrow morning.

I am interested in your walking experience. I have periodic problems, where I either walk like a drunk, or feel like I am swaying when I stand still. Is that similar to what you experienced? I thought the walking might have to do with my L5/S1 problems, which flare up from time to time, but not surgical at this point. Let me know. Thanks and keep up with the nice recovery.

Jeff

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
(female)

quilter58 HB User

badbackpeg, I have been thinking of you........glad to hear you had some help at home and that you are doing better........It is a slow row.......but the light is at the end of the tunnel......

Ohio hope you do well with surgery......just do what the doctors tell you......relax and you will be fine..........

Old 02-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
(female)

ShepherdLady HB User

Peggy,
So glad you are doing so well!

I know before surgery we all get so very worried and now being post op, it all almost seems like a bad dream.

Cheers!

Old 02-07-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
(female)

badbackpeg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGolfer View Post
That is great new! This is particularly nice for me to hear, since I have my C4/5, C5/6 ACDF tomorrow morning.

I am interested in your walking experience. I have periodic problems, where I either walk like a drunk, or feel like I am swaying when I stand still. Is that similar to what you experienced? I thought the walking might have to do with my L5/S1 problems, which flare up from time to time, but not surgical at this point. Let me know. Thanks and keep up with the nice recovery.

Jeff
I read your post this morning, and have been thinking about u today, I hope you get along well, Yes my leg problem sounds similar to yours, my instability is better. amd I walk normal normal now, but as I said still some soreness and weakness in legs, they are about 50% better, and I have read on this board many times, it takes time for the nerves to heal.

I will be watching for your post to see how you got along with your surgery.

PS well my leg problem i'm pretty sure was from my cervical problem, and the surgery made it better.

Good luck,
Peggy

Old 02-07-2007, 01:42 PM   #6
(female)

badbackpeg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilter58 View Post
badbackpeg, I have been thinking of you........glad to hear you had some help at home and that you are doing better........It is a slow row.......but the light is at the end of the tunnel......

Ohio hope you do well with surgery......just do what the doctors tell you......relax and you will be fine..........

Hi,

Thank you for thinking of me.

You know when we get this surgery, we only have this little scar on your neck, and the family thinks you just had a minor surgery, well I guess they don't understand, but the people on this board does, Thank God

I hope you are doing well also quilter, we had out surgery the same day didn't we? I am surprised I am feeling as good as I do after 2 weeks, how about you?

Old 02-07-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
(female)

badbackpeg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdLady View Post
Peggy,
So glad you are doing so well!

I know before surgery we all get so very worried and now being post op, it all almost seems like a bad dream.

Cheers!
ShepherdLady,

You are exactly right about the bad dream, but for me it wasn't bad at all, maybe I better knock on wood when I say that, I am only 2 weeks.LOL

Hope you are well, Peggy

Old 02-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
(female)

quilter58 HB User

Hi Peg , our surgery was 1 day apart, you were the 23rd & I was the 24th,,,,,,,,,,,yes people only see a little thing but this was major surgery......as I have been saying on here.....a surgically induced broken neck, and I have a chunk of bone out of my left hip, incision about 4-5 inches long..........stairs have been really bad.....it is hard to lift my left leg as they have to cut through tendons and muscle to get a bone graft..........
coughing really hurts the hip site...........but I don't regret my decision for me.......

I tried to walk across the street yesterday ..........that wore me out and I am only 48 yr old.......My doctor won't even let me ride in a car until my 4 week check up on the 22 nd of feb..........Having 2 surgically sites has really slowed me down alot..........but I really feel good......the numbness in my hands and arm are gone......so surgery must have been a success......my legs don't hurt anymore........I am not taking pain meds either ........I do use the muscle relaxers........and benydyrl to sleep........I had a major drug reaction to antibiotics in pre op which left me with hives from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet..........they are slowing going away but I had hives set in the hip site.......not a pleasant feeling........but again I really feel pretty good as today is just 2 weeks out................

Peg I hope you are feeling better everyday.......i worried about you having help at home.......I was glad to hear your sister helped.........Lets keep up with each others progress..........blessing to you ......angela

Old 02-08-2007, 05:57 AM   #9
(female)

badbackpeg HB User
Smile Re: 2 weeks post op acdf C6/7

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilter58 View Post
Hi Peg , our surgery was 1 day apart, you were the 23rd & I was the 24th,,,,,,,,,,,yes people only see a little thing but this was major surgery......as I have been saying on here.....a surgically induced broken neck, and I have a chunk of bone out of my left hip, incision about 4-5 inches long..........stairs have been really bad.....it is hard to lift my left leg as they have to cut through tendons and muscle to get a bone graft..........
coughing really hurts the hip site...........but I don't regret my decision for me.......

I tried to walk across the street yesterday ..........that wore me out and I am only 48 yr old.......My doctor won't even let me ride in a car until my 4 week check up on the 22 nd of feb..........Having 2 surgically sites has really slowed me down alot..........but I really feel good......the numbness in my hands and arm are gone......so surgery must have been a success......my legs don't hurt anymore........I am not taking pain meds either ........I do use the muscle relaxers........and benydyrl to sleep........I had a major drug reaction to antibiotics in pre op which left me with hives from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet..........they are slowing going away but I had hives set in the hip site.......not a pleasant feeling........but again I really feel pretty good as today is just 2 weeks out................

Peg I hope you are feeling better everyday.......i worried about you having help at home.......I was glad to hear your sister helped.........Lets keep up with each others progress..........blessing to you ......angela

Angela,

Well there are different opinions about using your own bone. I didn't because my sister had that done 3 years ago, and she still has pain there, and has to use painpatches, but to each his own, we have to do whatever we feel comfortable with. I don't remember what you call I had, but surgeon took my bone marrow and mixed with something else. I had that procedure done when I had my lumbar surgery, and I fused ok.

I imagine it will take you longer to feel better due to the graft site, and the other problems you have had, but seems like you are doing pretty good if
your hand weakness is gone, I think it just takes time. I am better, but not well yet, far from it.

I was allowed to drive at 2 weeks, which I started doing a couple days ago.
I was glad to get out of the house, even if it was to the grocery store.

Yes, my sister stayed 3 days, I did okay when she left, I was just bored with no one to talk to, and not doing any housework.

I go for my post op of 22nd too, I guess then I will find out what I can and can't do.

I hope you will do well with your healing, the graft site might heal up and do well with you, everyone is different.

Hope you and everyone has a good day.

Peggy

Closed Thread