It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 06:44 AM   #1
(female)

Melindafm HB User
Question IS FUSING HAPPENING? Tommorrow I'll know

I am 10 weeks out today. Tommorrow I return to the doc. He is supposed to take x-rays and check to see how the fusing is coming along. I am a little anxious as I don't know what will happen if things are not going as they should. I have faithfully worn the bone stimulator 4 hours per day, taken my vitamins, tried to eat right, walk and not lift anything heavy. I am still having issues with the muscle on the top of my shoulder and down the side of my neck that the surgery was done on. It still tingles down my arm and is now numb on my ring finger (this is new for last couple of weeks). Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. Melinda

Old 02-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Re: IS FUSING HAPPENING? Tommorrow I'll know

Good Luck tomorrow, Melinda. I bet things will be right on track and then you can worry alot less!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
(female)

quilter58 HB User

I can relate to the top of your muscles hurting, I feel your pain ......hang in there ..... keep us posted

Old 02-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just exactly where was your surgery done on?i am assuming somewhere in the c spine area?the ring finger is actually innervated by the c 7 and c 8 nerves the one side towards the pinkie is the c 8 side and the opposite is the c 7.is this numbness constant or intermittant?if it is intermittant,it could be the bone moving meaning you may not be fused yet,which considering only ten weeks can be kind of iffy for most people.it just depends on alot of different factors.if you are having actual flexion and extention x rays and you do not have any hardware,it would be pretty easy to tell whether or not you fused or not.mine was very obvious it wasn't despite an MRI and CT that stated it was,but thats a whole other sordid story.

i DO wish you luck and hope all is well.having inflammed muscle stuff going on after any fusion surgery is not that unusual since you keep trying not to move your head all the time.it just gets stressed,and tight.ask your doc for some excercises you can do to try and help loosen the area.
or agood PT massage would help too.i hope the news is good.marcia

Old 02-10-2007, 07:28 AM   #5
(female)

Melindafm HB User

I have now seen the PA at my docs. He had xrays taken (which put me into spasms). I had to bend my neck down to my chest and bend it back as far as I could. He showed me the xrays and said everything is looking really good. He was so excited because I have one of the straightest plates he had ever seen the doc do (I am sure he showed the doc his handywork). My two middle screws were a little out of alignment but the top and bottom screws were perfect. From the side it looked like only one screw. The PA says my neuro will test new xray techs with this and ask how many screws they see. When they say only one he just chuckles because the newbies think a screw has gone missing on the other side. Anyway not to worry if your plate is a little crooked. He said most times the plate has a slight tilt because of the angle the docs have to put it in at.

My surgery was a two level C5-C7. I am still having quite a bit of spasm and numbness intermittently down the surgery side. I also have burning in my head and ear. Because of this I have been prescribed physical therapy for 2 times a week for six weeks. After the PT I will return to the doc for more xrays. He said the PT will be very painful the first few times I go but after that it will feel really good. I am also still to wear my bone stimulator 4 hours per day.

For all wearing a bone stimulator - word of caution. I was taking clothes out of the dryer yesterday with the stimulator on. I had already done 2 hours. The static electricity from the clothes reset the stimulator back to 4 hours. I guess static electricity and an eletromagnetic field do strange things to each other.

As to the bone fusing, it has not become solid at ten weeks and this is right on target. The two bone grafts were very visible lodged in between the vertebra. PA said it would take most of the year, at least, for the bones to calcify and become solid. PA said it looked really good. I do (after 10 weeks) still have some swelling in my throat particularly around the incision site. PA said this was normal and may be what is causing some of my spasms and burning. Time is everything with this surgery.

Best to all.....

Closed Thread