It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
(female)

OakesBrae HB User
Cervical Disc Prolapse

I just got my MRI reading back from my ER visit the other day and I am very confused...

She said (over the phone) that I had a disc prolapse at C4/C5 and C5/C6 with no major cord compression.

The doctor at the ER basically told me to lay flat and be very careful (no lifting etc) in the meantime until I have my neurosurgeon appointment (which isn't until March 14).

Symptoms include severe neck pain, shoulder pain, arm pain, tingling and numbness in both hands (started in the ring fingers but is now both hands). I am currently on hydrocodone, methylprednisone, and muscle relaxers. I also have a soft collar.

Am i really supposed to not do anything until March except lay flat???? With all that I've read, it's a really bad idea to do anything that might result in cord compression, but...they aren't giving me anything useful to do. I'm so frustrated - I'm home from work in a recliner - can I really not work until this is all over???

Please help, I'm freaking out here. I feel like my normal doctor has given me no guidance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: Cervical Disc Prolapse

You should always take heed to what your doctors say.

From my own personal experiences and having had multiple surgeries, it it probably a good idea to take it very easy. Keep your neck in neutral positions, and don't be doing big chores and lifting stuff. You can use ice and/or heat (whatever you prefer), heat works best for me. The more you can keep inflammation and pinching down in there the better you will feel while you wait. It is best if you take it easy so you don't antagonize your pain.

YOu could try to send over your MRI to the neuros. and have them take a quick look and see if they think it is ok for you to drive and go to work while you wait for your appointment. If you have a sedentary job, this might be ok, but you shouldn't be driving on high doses of pain meds!

Many people go months or years before they do surgeries, so it is quite possible that if you can manage your pain you can do some normal things while you wait.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2007, 06:50 AM   #3
(male)

bayramcirak HB User
Re: Cervical Disc Prolapse

hi
ı m a neurosurgen in turkiye
may be i can give u some iea when i have seen ur MRI
İS İT POSSİBLE TO SEND THEM ONLİNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakesBrae;27***03
I just got my MRI reading back from my ER visit the other day and I am very confused...

She said (over the phone) that I had a disc prolapse at C4/C5 and C5/C6 with no major cord compression.

The doctor at the ER basically told me to lay flat and be very careful (no lifting etc) in the meantime until I have my neurosurgeon appointment (which isn't until March 14).

Symptoms include severe neck pain, shoulder pain, arm pain, tingling and numbness in both hands (started in the ring fingers but is now both hands). I am currently on hydrocodone, methylprednisone, and muscle relaxers. I also have a soft collar.

Am i really supposed to not do anything until March except lay flat???? With all that I've read, it's a really bad idea to do anything that might result in cord compression, but...they aren't giving me anything useful to do. I'm so frustrated - I'm home from work in a recliner - can I really not work until this is all over???

Please help, I'm freaking out here. I feel like my normal doctor has given me no guidance

Closed Thread