It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
(male)

fusion77 HB User
cord compression

well i had my mri done on my thoracic and cervical spine and my spinalcord is compressed from the disc in the thorasic spine.. if i can cure my pain with epidurals and pt do i need to go in for surgery??? right now i am in so much pain my thoracic area is throbbing severley and my legs are getting real weak.. 2nd question: i know bowel inconsistancy is a sign of spinal cord compression, i have had a very queezy stomach since my back started throbbing a month ago, can this be a symptom??? i mean i havent lost control but i do have to run to the bathroom... somebody please help i dont know what to do im scared i cant have another surgery i just cant.... hope to here from you soon and thanks...

Old 02-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User
Re: cord compression

Honey, if its compressed and you are in that much pain and have weakness in your legs you might have to start accepting the future of another surgery. PT may help, injections may help.. I don't know what your reports say as far as if it looks moderate or severe.

Are you saying you have nausea or are having to "go" more frequently? You should tell your surgeon/doc about the needing to "go" problem if that is what you mean.

I know it stinks to think about having to have another surgery, and perhaps you'll be able to get a little more of a break and find some relief with pain management for a while, but try and consider this a blessing, in that this is all happening fairly close together for you, which in turn I would hope that this would mean that you will have more years to enjoy your life the way you might like to once everything is fixed.

I know that these kinds of things can become stressful on the people around you which makes the situation and reality of having to go through such a thing again a great ordeal, but remind them its temporary and it will pass and that the experience will make you all stronger in the long run.

Last edited by PearlDoves; 02-09-2007 at 11:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

my best advice would be to speak with your surgeon and possibly obtain a second opinion as well if this is going to be a pretty in depth type of surgery.I would think givent hat your cord is actually being compressed by a fragment that this would most definitely at some point need to be somehow surgically interveined upon.when, would all depend on the extent of actual compression,and any body system functions that may be affected by it.the thing about cord compression is that while this is being compressed,in some cases,part of the cord can begin to necrotize or die off or myelomalacia can result,which is granualizing of the cord,if i remeber right.

you have to really look at what you would face in doing nothing,even with ESIs,this still will not actually really change the actual compression to any real measurable degree(tho it could possibly help with the pain,that all depends what is really generating the actual pain),vs having that fixed and the compression lifted off your cord space.there is always the risk that you may be having tract affectation which could be permanent too.the cord is somewhat similar to actual nerves in that if the compression is long enough and direct enough,it can kill off sections of it or end up causing neuropathic pain syndromes.

you have to remember that your spinal cord carrys a huge load,all of the nerve pathways that actually run all of your body system function signals to the brain run thru it.its like a big cable,if you cut it in half,you would see like little seperate(god,like at least 20 or so)seperate 'bundles" running thru it like cables within a cable?when one of these gets cut off or that flow gets impeded,there will be no or very little or even a derangement of the actual nerve signals to the brain.this is a very very important part of your body that you really don't want to become permanently damaged in any way,trust me on that one.

seeing your actual surgeon for a consult to find out just what his/her thoughts are on how severe your compression actually is,and what they feel would be appropriate would really be the best way to really know for sure what to do.it would be impossible for anyone here to even have a clue really since none of us can see what this even looks like to tell just how badly this is being compressed.if you feel this is causing you severe enough pain,well that should be an indication that maybe it might be time to consider it.are you having actual nerve compression there too?weakness in your legs can indicate possible nerve or cord impingement.alot would also depend on whther this is actually affecting one of the tracts.

sorry i couldn't be more helpful,but your surgeon would be able to tell you much more in depth findings and advice based on neuro evals and what shows in your MRI or even an EMG,where they test the nerve flow and muscle tone.this will only show actual impingement and or damage,not usally intermittant compression unless that position is the one where the compression happens intermittantly.full compression on any nerve would show tho.the type of pain you are having,can you fully describe it and where it runs?or is it only what you stated above,in your back?is it just a plain throb or is there like a strange gnawing type quality to it?

i do wish you luck with this,just have a chat with your surgeon to see what all of your possible options are,they really would know the best ways to go for your extent of problems.please keep us posted,K?marcia

Old 02-09-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
(male)

fusion77 HB User
Unhappy Re: cord compression

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
my best advice would be to speak with your surgeon and possibly obtain a second opinion as well if this is going to be a pretty in depth type of surgery.I would think givent hat your cord is actually being compressed by a fragment that this would most definitely at some point need to be somehow surgically interveined upon.when, would all depend on the extent of actual compression,and any body system functions that may be affected by it.the thing about cord compression is that while this is being compressed,in some cases,part of the cord can begin to necrotize or die off or myelomalacia can result,which is granualizing of the cord,if i remeber right.

you have to really look at what you would face in doing nothing,even with ESIs,this still will not actually really change the actual compression to any real measurable degree(tho it could possibly help with the pain,that all depends what is really generating the actual pain),vs having that fixed and the compression lifted off your cord space.there is always the risk that you may be having tract affectation which could be permanent too.the cord is somewhat similar to actual nerves in that if the compression is long enough and direct enough,it can kill off sections of it or end up causing neuropathic pain syndromes.

you have to remember that your spinal cord carrys a huge load,all of the nerve pathways that actually run all of your body system function signals to the brain run thru it.its like a big cable,if you cut it in half,you would see like little seperate(god,like at least 20 or so)seperate 'bundles" running thru it like cables within a cable?when one of these gets cut off or that flow gets impeded,there will be no or very little or even a derangement of the actual nerve signals to the brain.this is a very very important part of your body that you really don't want to become permanently damaged in any way,trust me on that one.

seeing your actual surgeon for a consult to find out just what his/her thoughts are on how severe your compression actually is,and what they feel would be appropriate would really be the best way to really know for sure what to do.it would be impossible for anyone here to even have a clue really since none of us can see what this even looks like to tell just how badly this is being compressed.if you feel this is causing you severe enough pain,well that should be an indication that maybe it might be time to consider it.are you having actual nerve compression there too?weakness in your legs can indicate possible nerve or cord impingement.alot would also depend on whther this is actually affecting one of the tracts.

sorry i couldn't be more helpful,but your surgeon would be able to tell you much more in depth findings and advice based on neuro evals and what shows in your MRI or even an EMG,where they test the nerve flow and muscle tone.this will only show actual impingement and or damage,not usally intermittant compression unless that position is the one where the compression happens intermittantly.full compression on any nerve would show tho.the type of pain you are having,can you fully describe it and where it runs?or is it only what you stated above,in your back?is it just a plain throb or is there like a strange gnawing type quality to it?

i do wish you luck with this,just have a chat with your surgeon to see what all of your possible options are,they really would know the best ways to go for your extent of problems.please keep us posted,K?marcia
hello and thanks for the info and yes there is a gnawing feeling with the throbbing, it also burns.. my legs knees down have a mild throb but are very weak they buckled on me twice today while walkin d down stairs ouch.... my stomache also has a burn throbbing less pain then back but definetly noticeable.... and today and yesterday im running a temp. no soar throat or cough or anything i dont feel sick at all... i dont know?????????? i go see the doc on monday, and to top it all off the doctor calls me and says the pharmacy wont except the percocet over the phone so i have to pick up the script on monday, im looking forward to this pain all weekend, i hate the fact that im 29 years old and my body is breaking down. i was an allstate track star physically fit and never thought this crap would ever happen to me why me. im sorry to all of you that are worse off i am just upset and with the pain i cant think straight.... thanks again...

Old 02-10-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

dont be so hard on yourself fusion,really,its all relative ya know?this is something that is seriously affecting YOU and YOUR daily life,and thats all that matters. everyones situation is different,but we all have been thru that part.what is affecting you is what is important,and its pretty normal to feel the way you are.anything that affects a persons life like a disc problem IS important to them,believe me.when i was dealing at the beginning of my saga with just mostly my herniated c 6-7,it was a big deal to me as this was seriously affecting me to the point where everything in my life was suffering,including my ability just to work everyday.my c 7 nerve root was being compressed and it made for some really wonderful fun some days.

i am kind of suprised that your doc was not already aware that you cannot fax a schedule II narcotic script to a pharmacy?thats pretty common knowledge,sorry you have to suffer for that.he should no better,really.

it would appear that the pain you are feeling is most likely cord related.that gnawing crap really is nasty isn't it?has your doc tried one of the anti siezure meds for this like neurontin?adding this to the pain meds really can help with the more neuropathic aspcts of the pain.there are others too.neurontin has never really worked on me but i know of others who have had really fantastic results with it.

there are those tracts in your cord and one of them is called the spinothalamic tract?this one actually helps to control your ability to feel hot cold and pain and it also can effect your temp,your body temp?there could be about 100 different reasons just why you are actually running a fever,espescially if your stomach has also been bothering you as well(perhaps a viral thing maybe?)but the affectation of this tract is also possible given cord compression but i do believe it is more laterally located within the cord?this particular tract was severely damaged in myself and i have alot of fallout just from that one tract being significantly damaged.this is actually where my cavernoma sat in my cord.alot of tracts also pop up in other areas of the cord too for some odd reason.i would actually have to check and see what tracts are anterior in location as these would be the most likely to be affected in your case,since they would lie directly behind the spinal column.

hopefully you can have this easily fixed without too much major drama anyways.but this really does need some attention as far as what is really being compromised and how it can be alleviated.i wish you luck with your doc appt.are you seeing an actual surgeon yet or are you going to just be seeing your primary on monday?you really DO need to find out just what it is you are really dealing with and how imediate any surgical intervention may be needed.you don't wantto wait til something becomes seriously compromised in a situation like this.some surgerys can be held off til the pain really seriously becomes a major issue and some simply cannot because of compromise to important structures.you need to find out what catagory this falls into.that will dictate pretty much what your next steps should realistically be. hang in there fusion,it will hopefully get better soon.if you need to vent or have questions,by all means,pop back in.thats what we are hear for,to help each other thru the crappy times.K?good luck,Marcia

Old 02-10-2007, 08:49 AM   #6
(male)

fusion77 HB User

well i was just going to see my primary and my pain management but everyday the symptoms increase so i am going to make an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon, he is great very smart and straight forward... thanks so much for the advice and support. these boards are great and i the people on them are greater

Old 02-10-2007, 08:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

let us all know how it goes at the ortho, ok?

Old 02-10-2007, 09:48 AM   #8
(male)

fusion77 HB User

you got it and thanks

Closed Thread