It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
(female)

cdawnwo HB User
Question How to get a neurosurgeon

Ok maybe a stupid question but I was seeing a neurologist and did not feel comfortable with him and want to switch. Since I am going to switch I thought I should just skip right to the neurosurgeon but not sure if I can just call one up.
Anyone know what the correct process is to do this?

Old 02-09-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
(female)

ShepherdLady HB User
Re: How to get a neurosurgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawnwo View Post
Ok maybe a stupid question but I was seeing a neurologist and did not feel comfortable with him and want to switch. Since I am going to switch I thought I should just skip right to the neurosurgeon but not sure if I can just call one up.
Anyone know what the correct process is to do this?
You might want to ask your PCP to refer you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2007, 06:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

shepard is right,in most cases,you do need a referral to one from another doc,mine was from my primary.what exactly is your medical problem,if im not being too nosey here?Marcia

Old 02-10-2007, 06:46 AM   #4
(female)

cdawnwo HB User

Well the short of it is that I have pain in my left shoulder down through my left arm. The last two fingers on my left hand are numb as well as partially numb up to my elbow. It will go comletely numb periodically (usually a couple times a day) and it is weak. I have a hard time extending my neck up to a normal level and extreme pain with a poping in my neck, if I look up to the sky. The MRI showed a possible cervical lesion but the neurologist said he was concerned about that. I have white matter on my brain but again the doctor said he was not concerned about that either. The main reason that I wanted to switch is he didn't seem concerned about anything he simply kept upping the medication which was giving me aweful side effects including suddenly losing my vision while driving! I have since taken myself off this medication completely but other then the side effects going away I am feeling as bad as ever. I posted the reports I got in my records as I have no idea what any of it means. I could just be over reacting and this is all minor no big deal stuff but I don't want to injure myself more by not getting it resolved if it is something more.
I am not sure if I am a drama queen I never usually go to the doctor and have always thought of myself to have a high tolerance for pain - I did have three children without so much as an asprin. Other then having my kids I have been to the doctor a total of 2 times for not feeling good in the last 15 years and one of those times resulted in an operation (not related to this issue).
Any thoughts or suggestions you have would be a blessing.
Thank you so much in advance.
Chris

Old 02-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

It all depends on what kind of insurance you have. If you have an HMO or EPO you will most likley need to be referred to any specialty physicain through your primary care physician (PCP). With most POS and PPO plans you can refer yourself. HOWEVER, often a good primary care will direct you to the right neurosurgeon so it might be worth it anyway to talk to your PCP.

Call the number on your insurance card and ask them if a referral is necessary for seeing a specialty physician.

Years ago I had what I thought was galbaldder problems and my PCP disagreed. I called the number on my insurance card and the customer service agent said I could see any physician I wanted without a referral from my PCP. Two people in my office had seen the same galbladder surgeon and I "self referred" myself to his office. Long story short I had my galbladder out (I had a malfunctioning galbladder) and my PCP visited me in the hospital to say "Hmm, I guess it was your galbladder"......so sometimes the patient does know best.

Closed Thread