It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
(male)

edskym HB User
headaches,headaches,headaches

I just wonder if anyone has ever received headache relief from fusion surgery-I have had them daily for five years-had all the test an know I need a fusion on c3-4 but I need some good odds that the surgery could help my headaches. ANY THOUGHTS

Old 02-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Re: headaches,headaches,headaches

I had my fusion (C5-C7) 4 1/2 weeks ago. It has definitely helped my headaches. I always had such a horribly tight neck in the back (occipital area) and it seems less tight back there now, hence no headaches. Everyone is different though. But I am tight as a drum everywhere else! (which I hear is normal after this surgery)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
(female)

Katie2005 HB User

I had ACDF Surgery 3 weeks this Tuesday on discs 3/4. I lived about a year and a half with headaches every single day never hardly going away. I have only had two headaches since surgery and that was from the Vicodian. I can't tell you how much it feels great to go even an hour without a headache. I also had constant muscle spams in my right side of face and right arm and since the nerves have woken up I have no pain there too.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the c spine really is notorious for triggering headaches,i have them too.just exactly where are your headaches actually located?how severe is your disc problem?there are just sooo many big and very tiny nerves up inthis area along with some very strong muscle.alot of people just have muscle triggering headaches alone,just because of the constant inflammation going on within the c spine will cause trigger points to develop within the muscles.have you ever tried like valium for just the headache pain?this actually helps some of mine.i also have tho,alot of deterioration going on within my c spine and the little nerves that offshoot from the larger nerves will get very inflammed at times and cause pain and the headaches.i just went thru a round of facet blocks to try and stop mine,they did help some but not completely.my next step here if these continue is to have the little nerves burned out with phenol.they can do this with radio frequency too.the only problem would be a possible development of neuromas?these are actually scar tissue that can form at the ends of the burned nerves.from what my pain doc told me tho,he is an anesthesiologist,he said the neuromas wont generally actually form within the smaller nerve endings,mostly the larger ones.so i am in debate mode right now.

whether or not a fusion would actually take care of your particular headaches,well,its kind of a crap shoot really.it all depends on what is actually triggering them.but if you have some real issues with this area that needs fusion,it may be worth it to go ahead and do this.it would at least alleviate the c spine pain whcih would cut down significatly the inflammation that can trigger headaches and muscle knots and whole bunch of other crap.trust me on that one.but there really is no way to tell before hand actually just what will be there or not bethere after a fusion.but odds are good that your headaches wouldat least lessen if not go away completely.

you really do need to discuss with a surgeon just what they feel may be triggering the type of headaches you are having and the best way to approach that need for a fusion.a good knowledgable surgeon should be able to tell you much more about your particular case,since everyones is just a bit different than someone elses,you know what i mean?good luck on whatever you decide to do here.Marcia

Old 02-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
(male)

edskym HB User

Thanks everyone for your input
My game plan with my neurlogist is as follows. Frist they want a new MRI .
My old one is only a year old but they need a new one. These things get expensive but I digress.The next stept is to try the facet block , as I am allergic to steriods this should be interesting. If this give me some relief from the headache and hopefully will pinpoint where the problem is located.From there he will talk over the results with the neurosurgeon to evaluate if surgery will be helpful. Yes I did try valium along with many other drugs with little help. Tramadol dose help a little. Again thanks for your help.

Ed

Old 02-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
(female)

bdancer HB User

Dear ed

you don't have to have the facet blocks if you don't choose to... I went straight for surgery refused the blocks...i agree with skz the pressure is off the neck which helps a lot with the headaches...and tight feeling at the base of the head... in fact that is the first thing I said when I woke up after surgery LOL.. "the pressure is off" LOL weird huh?? good luck with your decision ... bdancer

Closed Thread