It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
(male)

OhioGolfer HB User
1 Week Post Op ACDF

Well, 1 week ago I was under the knife for C4-5 & C5-6 ACDF with Atlantis plate. Thought an update was in order.

All in all, I think I am making pretty good progress, and if I am honest, any problems I am having are likely due more to my pushing myself too much than the surgery itself.

I am taking half of a Vicodin tablet every 6 hours, and 1 Robaxin for muscle relaxation every 6 hours as well. I am up, dressed, and working on computer 4- 6 hours per day, with frequent breaks. Sore throat is better, though still a little problematic, and swallowing is improving, though I also need to be careful there. All but one of the Steri Strips have dropped off, so incision is doing better.

Other than throat/swallowing, biggest issue is muscle pain/spasm at base of neck and across shoulders and mid back. Part of it I know is being up and around all day, and it just gets fatigued, and part due to not being able to move neck very much. I am not in a collar, though I tried using my soft collar in bed last night, as sleeping is still a challenge -- trying to find a position that allows me to not feel like I have been hit by a truck when I wake up.

So, I really have no reason to complain. No follow up with my NS until 3/15, so no driving until then, but otherwise things are equal or better than what I expected.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Jeff

Old 02-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Re: 1 Week Post Op ACDF

Jeff,
The computer really adds to the spasms, for sure. I am trying to limit my computer use because I notice that is the ONE thing that really aggravates the spasms. This was also the case before my surgery, only much worse on the computer before.
I have the spasm in the exact same spots you do. I am 5 weeks out today and they are better than they were 1 week out. Every week they got a little bit better.
Tonight will be a good test because I am going out to dinner for V-day and its pretty far there and back. This will be the longest I have been upright since the surgery, at one sitting.
Tomorrow I have to go to a funeral, and I think that will be a long deal too. What can you do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: 1 Week Post Op ACDF

Sounds like so far so good - but be sure to take care of yourself and listen to your body's signals!

Closed Thread