It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 08:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
What the bleep is wrong with these surgeons?

As I sit here everyday and read posts about people not knowing what they should and shouldn't be doing, I am amazed. What is wrong with these surgeons? I am 5 weeks post op with no collar (ACDF c5-c7). The instructions I got post-op were so vague it was ridiculous. ON the instruction sheet it said to be walking a mile, post-op (splitting it up into several sessions). Well HOW FAST should I walk? At my first post op appt. at 12 days....the P.A. made it sound like I could do almost anything, including drive. Can you imagine? I did drive and it was a nightmare. I had spasms for the rest of the day. I go for my 2nd post op on Feb. 22nd. I finally see the SURGEON then. I have a list of questions that I know he is going to tell me everything on the list is OK. They made it sound pre-op that I would have no problem if I wanted to travel in Feb. NO WAY. I am praying I will be able to go to NY (from CO) in May and not be all spasmed out. Would it kill these surgeons to be specific as to what to [B]DO and NOT DO? I just do not get it. Its a real theme here, I am noticing. Why is it like pulling teeth with getting exact instructions? Considering this is such a big surgery, you would think it would be different. I have had TONS of different surgeries and usually I got better post op information. What gives with this?

Old 02-15-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Re: What the bleep is wrong with these surgeons?

Sorry, I meant to say that I was told to be walking a mile (split into different sessions) by 1 WEEK post op.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User

I Know can you beleive the whole ibuprofin thing? Did I hurt fusion by taking it ...who knows? I guess I'll know soon enough.

By the way I think you'll be Ok to travel by May just do not carry anything, wheel it.

Well I am in awe of your Dr.s follow up. I have seen mine 2 times post-op and I am not supposed to see him again until June!

I met a man who had a 5 level fusion done at university of Miami (posterior) and he had 3 follow ups! His surgery was last March. By the way he is doing great but i saw him when he was wearing the Miami J collar and that is one serious looking collar!

July

Old 02-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Everyone is different. Our friend Deniisgb was good at giving that advice. So many people are ready to jump up and get doing that they do not take a few weeks to properly recover. THey were in you spine you know! For some it can take 6-12 weeks to feel normal. Maybe longer on a couple people.

I used common sense, if they said to walk, I went at the pace that was comfortable. Its not speed - its the process of building bone (weight bearing exercise helps build bone) I listened to my body and gradually worked up to various activities. If it hurt - I didn't do it. For some people if you go too fast doing chores, laundry, work, etc., you get more pain an spasms. Its not good to completely sit around unless they told you to, but go slow and if you have a bad day, rest! DOn't drive if you are taking pain meds. I was in a collar for 11 weeks 1st time, about 8 weeks 2nd time, that was kind of restrictive so I knew what I could and couldn't do. If you don't have a collar I could see how it makes it hard to know. I think its prudent to not lift anything over a gallon of milk for the first 2 months. You should be able to travel if you feel well enough.

Julyg there are studies about Ibuprofen that say don't take it, but there are just as many people who took it and it worked out. So don't freak out

They don't give precise instructions because patients seem to figure out what hurts and what doesn't right away, I guess they think we should know all this.
It's good to hear you are progressing.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Everyone is different. Our friend Deniisgb was good at giving that advice. So many people are ready to jump up and get doing that they do not take a few weeks to properly recover. THey were in you spine you know! For some it can take 6-12 weeks to feel normal. Maybe longer on a couple people.

I used common sense, if they said to walk, I went at the pace that was comfortable. Its not speed - its the process of building bone (weight bearing exercise helps build bone) I listened to my body and gradually worked up to various activities. If it hurt - I didn't do it. For some people if you go too fast doing chores, laundry, work, etc., you get more pain an spasms. Its not good to completely sit around unless they told you to, but go slow and if you have a bad day, rest! DOn't drive if you are taking pain meds - be safe! I was in a collar for 11 weeks 1st time, about 8 weeks 2nd time, that was kind of restrictive so I knew what I could and couldn't do. If you don't have a collar I could see how it makes it hard to know. I think its prudent to not lift anything over a gallon of milk for the first 2 months. You should be able to travel if you feel well enough.

Julyg there are studies about Ibuprofen that say don't take it, but there are just as many people who took it and it worked out. So don't freak out

They don't give precise instructions because patients seem to figure out what hurts and what doesn't right away, I guess they think we should know all this.
It's good to hear you are progressing.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
(female)

julie10 HB Userjulie10 HB Userjulie10 HB User

I have been driving since my NS took my soft collar off at my 1st follow up on day 17. Sometimes I do worry about not being able to turn my head side to side as quickly as I might need to. I have seen my NS twice now, and will see him again at my two month mark. I expect that he'll clear me to go back to work part time then. I do light housework, grocery shopping, etc, but find that I need my mid-day rest. Admittedly, I have been having a rough week after my travel last week. But today, I feel the PT has started to help. I also printed some posts for my husband and had a long talk about how depressing and frustrating some days can be; he finally understands, I think, and I'm soooo grateful! I think the lack of post op information, and that fact that mine was done as outpatient surgery, made us both think I would recover faster than I am.

Closed Thread