It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
(female)

Mary.T HB User
Question Help With Understanding Mri

Hello
Can anyone explain this MRI in easy terms to me. I had a 2 level C5/6-C6/7 done in July 2005 here in London. Artificial discs were used (the PCM disc) by Cervitech. I still have a small swallowing problem, and used to post on here before, but it would seem that I now have a problem in the lower back. I had this MRI done 2 weeks ago, and was given the report yesterday, it goes as follows:-
The spinal cord terminates in appropriate position (lower border of the L1 vertebral body). The L5-S1 intervertebral disc is almost completely macerated, with a small rim portion protruding (the remains of the annulus) and seen indenting the thecal sac, in midline and also narrowing the foramina bilaterally. Degenerative changes of the L5 and respectively S1 vertebral bodies end plates are noted. In the foramina, both exiting L5 nerve roots are touched in between degenerated facet joints and respectively the protruded remains of the annular fibrosus. Irritation and possible compromise (perhaps a little more prominent on the right) of the exiting of L5 nerve roots is expected.

Would really appreciate if anyone can interpret this for me.

Many thanks, Mary.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: Help With Understanding Mri

Were you having sciatic pain down your leg or into your big toe? L5 most likely produces burning, stinging, and numbing pain of sciatica in the top and inner surface of the foot, the outer-front of the leg, and the bottom of the big toe.

I am not a doc, so here is a try.

Macerated is like shrinking/drying, looks like you have some disc material that is protruding into the thecal sac. That is the tissure and fluid around the spinal cord. Good news there is that is doesn't say it is touching or compressing your cord. The foramin are where the nerve roots exit from the spinal cord - looks like those are narrowing, probably because the disc height has changed and also they are talking about Degenerative changes that is arthritis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread