It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 06:51 PM   #1
(male)

cmatthews1326 HB User
What was/is the pain like???

I am confused. I have been having nerve pain in both my arms and legs. If feels like shooting pains, but it is bilateral which I cannot figure out. Most days the pain is in the range of 2/3 on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the worst). However, some days it feels like my spine gets inflamed and the pain is way bad. It feels like I have the aches from the flu x 10. I am not sure if it is my back and the reason I say this is that it is on both sides of both arms and legs. I went to the Dr. and he scheduled an MRI, but he really thinks that it is stress related. I have a really stressful job as a pharmaceutical rep. They ride me like a rented mule. I know that plays a role, but I am not sure how much.

Does this sound like a back issue? Also, for those who experience stress, does that make your pain worse? Also, weather....how much does that play a role?

Thanks

Old 02-21-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: What was/is the pain like???

hi and welcome,
i have a couple questions then i'll give some info. do you spend a lot of time on the computer and sitting (even driving sitting)? Do you carry a heavy backpack or bag?

tension can play a large role in pain. because you only rate it 2/3 on a scale of 10 I would venture a guess that your pain could be some early signs or maybe has some other cause. My experience with nerve pain is that when it started it was off the charts pain. others might have it slowly come on like you describe, but i think its more like my experience where one day you are just in horrible pain.

tension causes tightness in our muscles and muscles are innervated by the nerves, thus it kind of goes together. there is a common place tension causes pain to start and then refer to other places and that is in the shoulder blade muscles. you can get this type of pain without having any compromise in your spine structure. massage and pt can help this, sometimes you can get these things called trigger points - like little knots in your muscles. they can refer pain to other places in your body along the nerve path. same with back there is a place in lower back that can do the same thing.

same with weather, it too can play a role in pain levels. the best thing to do is get it checked out with your doc. anything you can do in early stages of injury or problems is always good, i.e. massage, pt, rest, heat/ice, etc. these things may help you manage your stress as well!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
(female)

quilter58 HB User

cmatthews,,,,,,,I never had sever pain in my neck.....I HAD alot of numbess down my arms mostly the left arm but I also had pain in legs ..........both nuero I went to said the leg pain was not connected to the neck thing going on.......but my 2 levels were compressing the spinal cord centrally and to the left.....my primary doc felt that since it was compressing centrally it could effect my legs .......since my surgery (see todays post) my arm pain/numbness and LEG PAIN ARE GONE.........You can't tell me the compression wasn't effecting my legs because that pain is gone.........

STRESS AND TENSION DOES A LOT TO OUR BODIES..........The medical community is only just beginning to figure out THE WHOLE effects of stress.......I would say get off the mule.......do what you love and the money will follow.......Focus on a changed lifestyle .......what you focus on - EXPANDS...............

Old 02-22-2007, 06:40 PM   #4
(male)

cmatthews1326 HB User

Thanks for the reply ladies. I have been to the E.R. two weeks ago and then again last night I went to the after hours clinic because the pain got so bad. Since my pain presents on both sides in the arms and legs, my physician seems to think it is stress related, which I wouldn't doubt at this point. In the past I have felt guilty about taking meds. for pain and anxiety, however at this point, I said "give me the best you've got." I am tired of feeling this way. Also, I have an MRI scheduled for this upcoming Tuesday as well as a Psych appt. For a long time I have been scared to find out what it is that is causing this, but at this point I am so miserable I want to know. As far as the meds, thank god for meds!!!

Closed Thread