It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007, 04:14 PM   #1
(female)

quilter58 HB User
Talking 1st ACDF POST OP @ 4 WEEKS

Well HI ALL just a reminder - had ACDF on jan 24th , 2 levels,
C5-6 & C6-7, with plate & screws , used my own left hip bone graft.....went home with hard Miami J collar..........Saw the surgeon today,,,,,,I need to wear the collar for 2 more months.........can drive with collar, can use soft collar for sleeping, .......moderation with the driving for 2 months......

HE DID NOT TAKE XRAYS,,,,,,he said there is no reason to subject the thyroid to the radiation when he has an idea where the fusion process is at.........solid fusion will take 4-6 months........I do not need physical therapy because I am not paralysed.....I can do stretchs, I can go to the gym for lower body workout , but light upper body workout for 2 months.........I can vacumn but I think I will tell my husband that not for another week ,,,,,,he needs to learn how to do this once in a while........No hip pain , no walking problems.......The doc said I did not need to come back unless there was a major pain.....he will dictate a letter to my primary care doc.......

SO I GUESS I AM GOOD.........just thought I would check in on everyone.......
thanks to everyone for being there for us ........Angela

Old 02-22-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
(female)

quilter58 HB User
Re: 1st ACDF POST OP @ 4 WEEKS

PS.....the doctor said it is very rare to cause problems above and below this surgery.......not the norm......I asked because I have a moderate bulging at C4-5,,,and wondered if this surgery presents a problems ,,,,,,he said I may need surgery someday but it was not a given and the surgery doesn't automatically make it worse........It is rare he said

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
(male)

OhioGolfer HB User

Glad the news was so good for you! I continue to be amazed at how different doctors are on this particular procedure. So you will be in the brace for 3 months -- while I had the same procedure, except 1 level up (C4/5 and C5/6) and with donor bone, and have had no brace at all. Weird . . .

Also interested that no X-Rays. Somebody else recently reported that they were 80% fused at 4 weeks. Why wouldn't a doctor want to know where you stand on fusing?

Bottom line is that you are doing well and hopefully do not have any continuing pain. Congrats!

Jeff

Old 02-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
(female)

quilter58 HB User

I thought being 80% fused at 4 weeks was AMAZING.........everything I have read just contradicts that but who knows.....My doc felt he knew from experience where the fusing would be at this time which makes sense to me ........He said 4-6 months for solid fusion , which numerous other people on here have stated the same thing from their doctors........that is why I was amazed at 4weeks 80% fused.......but again who know............There have also been others on here that were in their collars for 3 months too.......I won't complain I have gotten used to it but I am very glad I can use the soft one for sleeping...........I do not want uneeded radiation to my thyroid....so I say ok Doc ......he said if there is anything strange I can come back but if not I don't need to return to him........I can follow up with my pcd...........

Old 02-22-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
(female)

bdancer HB User

Hi all

I
am the one who is 80% fused and I saw the xrays there really is only two spots without bone now to me the bone looked lighter in color so I think it will need to increase density.. but remember I had the bone marrow protein which is supposed to fuse faster... although I have to admit I was surprised and the doc assumed I had been using the bone stimulator what can I say ... the calcium is working that and my mostly yogurt diet I don't know about the thyroid radiaition thing all I know is I am so much calmer when I saw how everything looked.. there is nothing like seeing that everything is ok to calm your nerves... I have never broken a bone so I don't know how fast I heal bones normally but I know that I am overall disgustingly healthy , thank God,, and eat a really good diet even though I am thirty pounds over weight... those excess calories are spent on good food instead of junk food.. I am also very confused about these protocols because doc told me the dangers of driving with brace on he said only soft brace and if you get in to an accident take it off quickly because.. any accident will be your fault it is against the law in NY to have any orthopedic device on unless you have special attachments to your vehicle.. he said also I will be completely collarless in the next two weeks..(by six weeks) well I guess that is why they call it a medical "practice" cause they all do things so differently!! but who cares as long as we all do well right!!! ? they also told me that I would probably eventually have more cervical problems because my cervical spine is long and naturally straight so it takes more abuse but he said I probably wouldn't need him again for at least 20 years... good luck all...jean

Old 02-23-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
(female)

quilter58 HB User

bdancer - I think you hit on the right thing - the bone morrow protein more than likely HAD A LOT TO DO WITH THE RAPID FUSING.......I wish I had had something like that , and there have been several here that had a bone stimulator......I didn't have anything like that.......My doctor didn't say I would never have an xray just not at this point......he wants me to follow up with my primary - he said he would dictate a letter to him.....I live 110 miles round trip from my surgeon......so maybe he will just have my primary do xrays at a later date.......your thyroid is right in the center of your neck - right where the xray would be focused.........so maybe my surgeon is conservative in that aspect at this time.....feeling that on past experience there wouldn't be alot to look at.......maybe age plays apart also, I don't know ........I do know IT IS WEIRD OF ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN SURGERY AND RECOVERY........THAT PROBABLY STARTED ALL THE "SECOND " OPINIONS.......

I am very happy for your progress........You with all of the differences ---it has given me questions to ask my nuero..........Look at geographical differences,,,,,,,I am in Kansas , You are in NY, golfer is in Ohio, SK in Colo, someone else in Tenn and KY..........You are right in that the bottom line is that we are feeling taken care of or that we feel we are being taken care of and that we are healing........I only have 1 major complaint right now and that is the muscle spasms which EVERYONE seems to have........I could use a better night sleep , but I am using 50 -75 mg of benydryl........hope all is well with every one...........

Old 02-27-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
(female)

achangedlife HB User

I can't believe you were 80% fused in 4 weeks!! I'm 13 months out and not completely fused...And I did use a bone growth stimulator. And I am in excellent health (well, aside form the pain) Wow.

I am also surprised your doctor said not to worry about your 4/5 level. I have the same problem, and my doctor said it's very common to have the level above or below a fusion fail and need another fusion, especially if the level is already compromised.

It's amazing how doctor- and patients- can be so different!

Closed Thread