It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
(female)

smiley94 HB User
Hi!New here almost 7 wks post-op ACDF C5-C6

Hi! I'm a newbie and it looks like I found what I was looking for. I have felt so alone since my surgery and after reading some of the posts I know that others are going through the same thing. I had ACDF C5-C6 January 11th for a large herniation and cord compression. I am only 30 so I feel like I am falling apart. I work in Long term care/Hospice. I just had a few questions... I go for an xray this week and then to my NS. He said in the beginning he didn't know how long I would be off work and if PT would be necessary. I am still having a lot of pain and spasms. To me Pt sounds like a good idea especially since I'm a nurse. I was just wondering how much longer I could expect to be off? At this point I can't imagine going back to work. It's very stressful and I'm mostly on my feet all day with a lot of direct patient contact. So I'm really looking forward to posting here. My DH just doesn't understand and he feels overwhelmed b/c of all the extra stuff he has to do. We have 2 boys so it's been really hard.. Sorry to rattle on...Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 05-23-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:49 AM   #2
(female)

bdancer HB User
Re: Hi!New here almost 7 wks post-op ACDF C5-C6

Smiley we have a LOT in common.. I am an OT (or I was, dont know if I will or can go back) I am a hand therapist so I don't lift people like when I used to work in skilled nsg or rehab but as a hand therapist you constantly are using your hands at near full strength gripping and pinching.. had a Mva 2 and half years ago rear ended with the kid going around 50 mph.. gradually started to lose strength in left hand/arm, then paresthesias,, eventually went in to leg with bladder issues.. so had my acdf c5/6 on jan 23rd... but I have done well no more related issues just healing from surgery. my dh has had to do quite a bit more with the kid (9 yo girl) but I am now this week back to driving her just to school and activities so that should relieve some of his burdens.. My doc said I will get PT at 8 weeks when I should be totally fused, I had BMP which fuses fast, and then I may go back to work just PRN... for awhile can't even think that far ahead anymore good luck to you!! hope you feel better... is your pain and paresthesia at the same place?? do you think you could have another neural compression issue?? bdancer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
(female)

smiley94 HB User

bdancer- Wow! We do have a lot in common. My sons are 9 and 3. Do you think I should push for PT? I just can't imagine ever getting back to where I was before. My doc said the pain could cont for several months so I guess I'll have to wait and see how it goes. I just drove for the 1st time today. It went better than I expected. I go back to my doc Thurs so I am anxiously awaiting my xray results. How much activity have you been doing? The weather has been a problem for me as far as being able to get out and walk and I don't have a treadmill. I'm not sure about another compression issue. Do you have many spasms? My pain and paresthesia is in the same area. Hope you have a sucessful recovery.Smiley

Old 02-27-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Smiley,
I had ACDF C5-C7 on Jan. 10th, which sounds like right when you had yours. My spasms are a nightmare. For the last 5 yrs, all i keep hearing from the professionals is "God, you are sooooooooooooo tight". Gee thanks. Now fix it!!!!!!! I started P.T. last Friday (for the 10th time in 5 yrs). I went to my 2nd post op and they said I was so tight, I really needed the P.T. So I drive REALLY far (20 miles each way) for this P.T. The main focus, this time, will be trying to get me out of spasm. I am so stuck in it, its seriously out of control. I am doing something called IMS (IntraMuscular Stimulation) 1 X per week, there. That is when they take acupuncture needles and stick the needle into the spastic muscle (aka trigger point) and kind of wiggle it around until the muscle grabs at the needle. (like a charley horse). When its a really bad muscle (my TRAPS!), the grabbing can last as long as a min. The principle behind this, is that the muscle works so hard, that it has to release/relax when its done. That's a simplifed explanation from a layperson. YOu have to be specially certified to do this procedure. I had this a couple of yrs. ago , but my neck was such a wreck (pre-surgery) that nothing was goi8ng to help the muscles that were guarding the neck. Hopefully it will help this time. I will not lie; it is very painful. (when the muscle grips). Its like the muscles is protesting. But if it helps, I dont care. I am also getting ultrasound, elec. stim, hands on work and some gentle stretching exercises. And I do mean gentle.
This spasm is the BANE of my existence. I notice the computer makes it so much worse, too.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

I forgot to mention...I am going 2x per week to P.T. and I am 51. My neck problem started when I was 45. I can imagine how you must feel being 30. I felt bad enough when I was 45 with arthritis in the neck. Hang in there!

Old 02-27-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
(female)

achangedlife HB User

Hi Smiley. I am 13 months post 2 level ACDF- C5-7. I was out of work for 3 months, went back for 3 months, then took off another 2 months before going to a part time job. I can not do my "real" job, because it involves lifting too much weight. My second level is still not completely fused. I did 14 weeks of PT (only once a week because my therapist was "too busy"). It helped with range of motion, but beyond that......

Sorry to be so negative. Bad day :\

Closed Thread