It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 03:47 AM   #1
(male)

rob_zzz HB User
how tight should miami-J soft collar be for ACDF?

I tried a miami-J soft collar on today and was surprised how much motion I had - I expected it would be very restrictive almost locking your head in one position - maybe the one I tried was too loose - what are others experience on how 'snug' a miami-J collar is meant to be post ACDF surgery?

thanks
Rob

Old 02-27-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
(female)

bdancer HB User
Re: how tight should miami-J soft collar be for ACDF?

I wore an aspen but you should be able to get a finger or two in there... when they fitted me the orthotist said if you force it you can still move your head that is why you are not in a halo... but don't turn yourself blue or anything it shouldn't be that tight... orthotist said most people tend to put collars on too tight...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

I wore the Miami-J and there isn't much movement if you have the correct size and it is adjusted properly. This one is a restrictive collar so if you have lots of movement something is wrong.

Your chin should not extend out over the chin piece and if it does then you have the wrong size or adjustment. If you are sitting up on top of the collar you will get lots of movement. The straps should be adjusted pretty snugly to limit movement. THe sides should have good overlap and fit snugly around your neck.

If none of these things are true, then you should go back to have it fitted.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
(male)

rob_zzz HB User

thanks for the info - yeah they did say if they wanted complete restriction you'd be in a halo - but this still seemed quite loose.

thanks for the guide neckpatient, I'll try adjusting it and see if I can get it to fit the way that you describe.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey rob,neck patient is very right here.that fit needs to be good in order to have the very best stabilization.i actually had to wear a pediatric size miami after my last neck surgery.i was a medic for fourteen years and believe me i fit a ton of c collars on probably hundreds of pateints.you can actually go to a place that i am almost certain your surgeon has to have the number to where they can actually fit the collar for you just for you personally.these people work strictly with prosthestics and know how to fit collars properly.this is the type of place i went to for my second c spine surgery since those hidious philly collars actually dug big ridges into my shoulders.i kept telling my NSs stupid nurse about this and she never bothered to even tell me then that there even was a place where i could actually go to even get one personally fit just for me(i actually ASKED her the second time around,duh lady??).even the small philly was way too big for me and i never should have been wearing it to begin with.

you need the best possible fit for the best possible stability.call your surgeons office,they have to know of a prosthetics place you can go to,or even look up prosthetics in your local yellow pages.it makes a big difference in your overall comfort as well to get that fit right.good luck,Marcia

Old 03-01-2007, 12:44 AM   #6
(male)

rob_zzz HB User

thanks for that information Marcia - I'll definitely make sure that I've got a properly fitted one before having any surgery.

Rob.

Closed Thread