It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
(female)

cheryl1121 HB User
Says I need Anterior Cervical Fusion with Corpectomy (cage & plate)

MY pm sent me to orth to see about getting surgery on my elbows for some ulna damage but instead he xrayed my neck and said that I needed this surgery real soon, wanted me to sign for it then and there. Have posted here over a year back with my problem of CTS, lumbar herniation, then contracted bacterial menigitis after receiving an epidural for my lumbar region, was in coma for four days and drs saying I would not probably make it, now this. I have known about the buldges and herniations in my neck since 2003, but was never told it was severe. Now all of a sudden I need this. Was told I would wear a hard collar for 4 wks and a soft one for 2 more. Basically, was also told I could do about everything as before after a week except to lift or raise my arms. After reading about this, it seems a little more detailed than that. Has anyone had this done and would you please give me some insight on this procedure and the healing time, also dangers. Thanks, I am waiting for a second opion from a neurosurgeon this week before I have this secheduled.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
(female)

quilter58 HB User
Re: Says I need Anterior Cervical Fusion with Corpectomy (cage & plate)

Cheryl, I personally used my own bone, involves a second surgery site but I feel it is worth it ......no worries later on, the ACDF I had went well , .....2 levels, plate & screws and my own bone instead of donor bone, I don't know about the cage as there are serveral others on here that have had them.......Go back and read several pages back and you will find out lots of information.......I have been in the hard collar for 4 weeks and at my first post op last week my nuero told me another 2 months........Different doctors different opinions..........that has been the case on this site it seems.........do research on the web besides just this site also........talk to your friends you may find someone who knows someone that has had this done.........I found getting comfortable in bed or a recliner very hard after surgery .......experiment with different pillows, low loft most likly, and one that is moldable..........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
(male)

whatever2 HB User

Cheryl,
I had acdf with a corpectomy (cage and plate) in May 06. They take out the affected discs and at least part of a vertebrae. they bridge the gap where the vertebra was with a mesh cage which is filled with bone pieces collected when the remove the vertebae. i had 4-7 fused with the corp at c-5. 12 weeks in hard collar. returned to desk job after 2 weeks and began to drive after 3 weeks. Much better now at 9 months. my biggest issue before surgery was leg problems which have improved but slowly. had cord compression in a couple of places.
Larry

Old 02-28-2007, 08:59 AM   #4
(female)

cheryl1121 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever2 View Post
Cheryl,
I had acdf with a corpectomy (cage and plate) in May 06. They take out the affected discs and at least part of a vertebrae. they bridge the gap where the vertebra was with a mesh cage which is filled with bone pieces collected when the remove the vertebae. i had 4-7 fused with the corp at c-5. 12 weeks in hard collar. returned to desk job after 2 weeks and began to drive after 3 weeks. Much better now at 9 months. my biggest issue before surgery was leg problems which have improved but slowly. had cord compression in a couple of places.
Larry

Old 02-28-2007, 09:07 AM   #5
(female)

cheryl1121 HB User

Thanks for the response but i'm still scared to death. Is there anyway of this thing resolving by itself. Dr. said my spinal cord is flattened by the herniation. Can you take the collar on & off when you need to? I can't stand even a turtle neck on when it is freezing. I live in florida and the heat and even thinking of something on my neck is making me sick to my stomach.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:25 AM   #6
(male)

whatever2 HB User

Cheryl
You could get another opinion but a flattened cord doesn't sound good. the surgery sounds worse than it is at least for me. I thought I was going to have just a one level fusion and ended up with all this hardware. I wore the collar 24-7 (Aspen) but after a couple of weeks I would loosen it or open it if I was in my recliner. I too live in Florida but i stayed indoors most of the summer. Actually the collar is not that bad. I felt that the support was comforting in a weird sort of way.
Larry

Closed Thread