It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 04:23 AM   #1
(male)

rob_zzz HB User
acdf with PEEK cage and bmp - experiences

Hi,

I'm looking for experiences with ACDF with peek cage implant rather than autograft. Has anyone on here had a surgery with a cage implant (PEEK or otherwise) and how did it go? How long did it take to fuse etc. etc. any info would be welcome.

thanks,
Rob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
(male)

bstinch HB User
Re: acdf with PEEK cage and bmp - experiences

rob ...had the acdf w/cage , used cadaver bone...mine wasn't by choice, was from an accident that caused paralysis. however, this fusion saved my life. i am a little over 3 months post op; a have very limited pain associated with my neck; if i have it , it just aches. my ns told me the fusion solidifies well after the first few weeks, with the hard collar used for precautionary measures. i was told that the areea of my surgery c3,4,5 was stronger now than b4. i switched to a soft collar, which was a relief after about six weeks. my range of motion with my neck movement is nearly as good as it was before...hope this helps some with your concerns, bryan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2007, 01:36 AM   #3
(male)

rob_zzz HB User

bryan - thanks for the reply and good to hear its gone well for you.

cheers,
rob

Last edited by rob_zzz; 03-01-2007 at 01:36 AM.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:24 AM   #4
(female)

bdancer HB User

Hi Rob

That is what I had done too.. and I haven't had much pain either.. even spasms are minimal...at 4 week check up doc said I was 80% fused.. which surprised the heck out of me... now at 5 1/2 weeks I am about 60% functional (still can't do overhead lifting, lifting heavy objects or back to exercise like yoga etc, and driving is still a pain because I will only turn about 45 degrees from midline don't want to chance going more than that so I have to turn my whole body in car seat) I've overdid it a couple of times and felt some tightness in my neck but laying down for 10 minutes relieves it...but I am so much better than pre-op.. so far so good .. keeping my fingers crossed bdancer

Old 03-11-2007, 05:55 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

TraveltoSL HB User

Hi Rob,

I just had my 3rd cervical re-fusion and this time (new and best surgeon EVER....) used the Peek cage, BMP, donor bone, plates, rods, and screws, and actually said he was able to help put the "C" curve in my neck since I was gradually going the other way over the years...(kyphosis)...Since I had "failed" two other times...he went in from the front AND the back and the surgery took about 5 hours....

The first surgery was in Oct. 2001 with my own bone and NO plates, screws, metal whatsover.....I was in a hard collar for 3 months...24/7....Totally AWFUL!!! Started having pain and numbness again within a year....

Second surgery, Dec. 2005....JERK Dr.....prescribed NO pain meds...before or after surgery....even day of leaving hospital....nothing.....He used donor bone and plates and screws...The pain was worse starting the day after surgery and it was a non-fusion within 2 months.....so that's when I found my next/last Dr....

This new and wonderful Dr. said that this last Dr. did a terrible job and since I failed the first time...why would he use donor bone the 2nd time when that has a higher chance of failure....And....I DON"T smoke...which can cause a non-fusion.....so it was strange for the failures....

Anyway....this last surgery, Nov. 2006....even though it was VERY tough and very painful....mostly the back of the neck and my big Frankenstien scar in the back....thank goodness for long hair...but hey...with 3 front of the neck scars...it's not like a beauty pagent is in my future....HAHA....Never was...I'm a natural beauty.....LOL!!!!! Sorry...i am in a really goofy mood today

But now, it's been since Nov. and everything looks great on x-rays and fusing good...I am doing SO much better than I have in these last years.....It's sooooooo wonderful.....Even though I will have to take medicine for chronic pain for a long time....maybe forever.....I have been able to cut back by more than half since the surgery and my pain levels are at a 3-5 which is a miracle from the constant 8-9 before......

So I am a proponent of the BMP and cages to really help solidify and help the fusion rate any way possible! I go to the Virginia Spine Institue in Northern VA and really love these Neurosurgeons as they have an extra 2 years of training in just the spine and all the newest techniques.....My pain management Dr. is in the same offices and works with the surgeons so it's great my care is totally managed....

Hope some of my story can help you and please don't let the non-fusions scare you as it is fairly uncommon....What is more common is having more than one level done since it puts pressure on the other levels.....But, you have to do what's necessary to save your nerves and help with the pain and I had severly ruptured discs and then collapsed vertebraes with the non-fusions and had no choice in surgeries. But then I just pray for the best

I will pray for you if you are having to go through this as well as all the others that have/going to....

Blessings,
Ingrid

Old 03-11-2007, 11:43 PM   #6
(male)

rob_zzz HB User

Travel2SL - thanks for the reply - very helpful and glad to hear that things are going so much better after this last operation as well.

cheers,
Rob

Old 03-12-2007, 08:39 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

TraveltoSL HB User

Good day mate

Sorry, couldn't resist the cheesy Aussie thing...LOL Thanks for the well wishes

I just want to clarify for those that have never had cervical surgeries to say that it was only because of how bad my neck was after 2 failed fusions, why they went in from the front and the back during the same surgery. That this is NOT normally done....pretty rare....so, when I talked about how difficult and painful that was, I didn't want to scare those deciding to have a surgery.

The regular ACDF with the BMP, cage, etc. is done with one incision from the front of the neck (usually) and as you can see from other posts, it really does help and to me makes a very strong fusion...

So, just didn't want to freak anyone out thinking that the type you were asking about is as extensive as I wrote about...

Blessings,
Ingrid

Closed Thread