It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
(female)

TrevaM HB User
ACDF Yesterday

Hi, Everybody!
Wanted to check in and let you know I had my C5-6 ACDF with donor bone and titanium cage yesterday at 7am, and was home by 3! I'm in a soft collar for 2 weeks, and will go in next Thursday for X-ray and 1st Post op. My surgeon said my herniation was "massive" (his term) and had punched completely through the ligament that usually will contain them somewhat. I had a lot of bleeding, but am really doing fine. Slept in about 3 hour intervals in the recliner last night, and found that when I had numbness or discomfort in my arm, getting up and walking around for a few minutes seemed to handle it fine. Gave my own sink bath this am, and can't wait for day 4 when I can shower. Am able to move arms pretty freely, but know I need to limit my movement so my neck stays neutral. Think my biggest issue is going to be keeping myself from doing too much, since I really feel pretty great.
Thanks so much for the info and support you guys have provided. I definitely didn't want to do this, but feel so much better already, and appreciate all I learned on this board! Don't want to stay on the computer too long this soon, but just wanted to check in and tell you all I appreciate you!
Treva

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Re: ACDF Yesterday

HI Treva,
I hope you continue to feel better everyday!!!! Keep us posted!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
(male)

BobM HB User
Re: ACDF Yesterday

Sounds like you are through the hard part (which is the anticipation you experience before the surgery!) - the key is to take it slow and give yourself time to heal.

I know what you mean about the shower - my surgeon said a similar thing. My shower has a removable shower head on a hose, so I could go ahead and shower from the shoulders down, which is better than not. The thing is to keep the incision dry, and to keep anything away that could cause an infection before the skin heals. You might ask your Dr. if this is ok in your case.

Best luck!

Closed Thread