It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
(female)

willowthewisp HB Userwillowthewisp HB User
so much pain!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost 6 yrs ago after being in pain for so long i saw a private Dr paid for by my works health insurance who diagnose me with Fibromyalgia. He injected my neck area with steroids which did not help in the slightest. Well here we are 6yrs on and i am still in lots of pain. My neck and top of my back hurt all the time, now i am seeing the works physio who has diagnosed Kyphosis, is the the same a scheuermans and also is kyphosis also called scoliosis, as mum had this and so does my eldest child. I am so annoyed as this previous dr only gave me painkillers for the fibro, now i have a lump sticking out of the top of my spine and my head is sort of pushed forward a bit. Worst of all is the pain, it never goes, at night i rarely sleep as i can never get my neck/spine comfortable, never. I wake up and am sometimes locked with a stiff neck and cant move. I just feel if this dr looked into this more he might have noticed my spine problem and i might not have this hunch now, the physio is going to try to stop me having a hunch back but did say it could be too late. She also said it is not possible to correct the damage already done. This Dr who diagnosed the Fibromyalgia had a terrible attitude, he was off hand and harsh and just got this injection out without even telling me what he was injectiing me with, he just stuck it in my neck and said i did not need to know what it was. I am now on lots of pain killers, always in pain, and now i notice my left hip/pelvis area is also not working properly and giving out and not supporting me properly. What happens with this kyphosis, does it get worse, can i stop the pain or is this what life will be like now. I also notice that when i go out in the car, if i am on a long journey, where i have been looking straight ahead for a long time, my neck is sort of stiff/stuck in the forward looking position and it really hurts, is this what i get through having kyphosis. I am soooo confused.

Last edited by willowthewisp; 03-03-2007 at 03:08 PM. Reason: need to add something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Re: so much pain!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you ever had an MRI? I have/had alot of the same symptoms as you. I ended up having the cervical fusion at C5 thru C7 in Jan. I had arthritis, bone spurs, and degenerated disks. I feel alot better, now that the spurs are gone and things are more stable in there. You really sound like you should get an MRI, considering how long you have been in pain. I dealt with my pain for 5 yrs. and now I am kind of stuck in upper body spasm because I let it go on so long. The same for me, sitting for long periods kills me. So now after the neck surgery, I am able to get P.T. for the spasms. Once the neck part was dealt with, now maybe my muscles will start to cooperate also.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:54 AM   #3
(female)

hi, thanks for replying.Over here in the uk we dont really get mri scans, only if you pay privately. I went to my Dr only 2 days ago and asked her to send me for an MRI or CT or any kind of scan and she said no, they dont allow it. So i am only hoping that when i go to see the physio's in a few weeks time, they may say i need to see a sugeon, who i can then beg him/her to send me for a scan. I really need to know what is going on in my back!.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User

For all of us who complain about our medical premiums.... what a wake up call! I have had 3 mri's this yr cant imagine how their Drs. could diagnose without them!

Old 03-04-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User

Perhaps you could alternate ice and heat packs for releif until you get a proper evealuation and treatment plan. I have ussed these methods for pain relief both pre and post surgery.
Good luck to you.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
(male)

OhioGolfer HB User

I am really sorry for the ordeal you are going through. I had a neurosurgeon diagnose me with Fibromyalgia about 4 years ago. The problem is that all of my symptoms were upper body, until I started having gait problems a few months ago. I had a 2 level ACDF 3 weeks ago, and am almost pain free (except for post surgical pain and spasms, which improve daily) and no gait problems.

I think that many of us get thrown into the Fibromyalgia diagnosis when our symptoms do not appear to match the severity of objective findings on MRI. The truth is that once the nervous system is involved, anything can happen from a symptom point of view, so I would be really insistent that they evaluate your symptoms from a neurologic standpoint.

I also sympathize with the lack of MRI availability, which results in a lot of needless suffering. Our thoughts are with you.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

I also got misdiagnosed with Fibromyalgia. It seems to be common. I guess because we have so much myofascial pain from the neck, they take the easy way with that diagnosis. Kind of like them telling you you have irrital bowel syndrome when you have stomach issues. Its a real catch all diagnosis.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:42 PM   #8
(female)

Well have just had xrays of c.spine and hip/pelvis. I have to wait 2 weeks for the results to come through though. Maybe this will show somethin up, but i bet it doesn't. So i will then be back to square one. I have been told by a friend that an xray wont show up many things, like arthritis etc.!!!!
I really need an mri scan!
I know exactly what you both mean about the fibromyalgia, they do seem to just sort of bung you off with it if they are not sure what you really have wrong.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

My Xray showed bone spurs, which part of the arthritis process.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:39 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

My X-rays showed bone spurs, which is part of the arthritic process.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #11
(female)

still waiting on results 5 weeks on, have seen the physio at the hospital and she says this pain i get is all from the Fibromyalgia, i told her that i went shopping and that once home i can harldy walk, i am in so much pain. I lay awake most of the night in pain all because i went shopping. I find this is the case most the time if i go out for more than an hour or so. The neck and top of my back is in agony most days and nights now. I have some exercises given me by the physio so maybe this could help in the long run.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:49 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

This fibromyalgia thing is so disturbing to me. I went to see a rheumatogist because of my osteoarthritis in the neck. (about 3 yrs ago, when I was fairly new to this neck stuff).This is what he says to me at my 2nd appt.....with NOmention of fibromyalgia at the first appt. "Well...since you have fibromyalgia....blah blah blah". I freaked out because i really never heard of fibromyalgia at that point. I thought that I was dying of some neurological disease. Can you imagine a Dr. being such a moron? In the meantime, I seriously dont think I have it and most other Drs. concur. I literally got in the car and cried my eyes out after hearing this stupidity.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:38 PM   #13
(female)

sharon57 HB User

Hey, found out I had Fibro before my spinal fusion. It is manageable, and I can give you some help re: with managing the pain re: foods and warm water therapy, if you are interested. I apparently had Fibro since I was 8 or 9, and I'm 49 now.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:20 AM   #14
(female)

Hi, well i finally got my results, the receptonist said the report said " no abnormalities found" so i dont need to go back and see the dr!!!! This hsa confused me even more, as i still cannot move the hip to the right at all, and if i have this curve at the top of my spine would this not be an abnormality !!! I dont know what to think now.

Closed Thread