It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
(female)

monarog HB User
Here it goes...ACDF scheduled for 3/26...advice?

Well...saw the one NS who I most like, trust and respect out of a myriad of docs I have seen. Herniated C6-7 about 1.5 years ago, then 6 months later ALL the weird neuro crap hit. It has taken almost one full year since then to get to the bottom of it all, though I thought it was my neck the whole time. Crazy how messed up body-wide it can make a person. Anyway, he showed me clearly on my 5 week old MRI that the disc is flattening the cord. He says 95% of all my symptoms (I won't bore you again) point to the compression. He writes the other 5% of weird symptoms off to "domino effect" and that nerves are a strange beast and complex. I still feel a bit frustrated with the medical community, as when the neuro stuff hit last April, my MRI at that time appeared like the disc was improving, so people just passed me around and acted like it was all in my head. I still don't understand why they won't look closer at symptoms, weighing in the fact that the MRI is looking at soft tissue, that moves, they only get the snapshot for that particular instance.

Anyway...ACDF on C6-7 scheduled for 3/26. I am now, of course, freaking out a bit. But...I have been so sick over the past year that I'm also hopeful, if that makes sense. I will see him a few days prior for the final questions etc., many of which I didn't ask the other day as I was a bit in shock with my MRI results and how bad it looked. I know it's cadaver bone, don't know about instrumentation, collar, driving limitations etc., will get all that next time. I am okay with the cadaver bone idea. My big thing is being so on the verge of the ADR stuff. The only thing I know is that C6-7 is dicey and often not able to utilize an artificial disc, depending on the case. I couldn't afford a trip to Europe anyway. I have a friend going through FDA approval right now with a large teaching hospital to have cervical ADR done. I, on the other hand, have had so many terrible neurological symptoms - I just can't analyze it anymore. I need to move forward. I appreciate all of the support and feedback from this board. Mona

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
(male)

bw67 HB User
Re: Here it goes...ACDF scheduled for 3/26...advice?

Sorry- I didn't mean to post!

best of luck

BW

Last edited by bw67; 03-08-2007 at 07:44 PM.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:19 PM   #3
(male)

rob_zzz HB User

good luck with it Monarog - glad to hear that you've found someone to help you. Re ADR vs fusion - probably the most important thing is having a good surgeon that has a good success rate with their particular preferred choice of neck surgery and does a good job of decompressing your spinal cord.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

GOod Luck Mona,
I found the hardest part to be waiting for the surgery. (although mine was cancelled once due to a big blizzard). I hope you dont get too anxious waiting.
Sue

Old 03-09-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
(male)

OhioGolfer HB User

Mona -- I won't wish you luck, because luck has nothing to do with it. ;-) The waiting and anticipation/fear are the worst. I am just 30 days into recovery from ACDF at C4/5 and C5/6 with donor bone and plate. As with any surgery, there are moments where you wonder why you did it, but really the recovery has been much better than I anticipated. I am in a study for ADR, but got randomized to fusion. No big deal -- ACDF is a tried and true remedy, especially at the cervical levels. There will always be something new and different right around the corner. If we keep waiting, we will never have the treatment!

You will do great. Keep us posted.

Jeff

Old 03-09-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
(female)

bdancer HB User

That is so true! you can't keep waiting for the ADR to be widely used and accepted.. and if it was me I would want to wait years before I would get something done on me... I know everyone keeps saying they do it in Europe but they do a lot of things there that we don't do here.. we tend to be very conservative about new procedure part culture part liability fear I suppose.. but could you really wait that long??? I met a few people that have had their cervical fusion for over 25 and 30 years!! And they had no regrets!! that is saying something isn't it...the worst part is the waiting... bdancer

Old 03-27-2007, 12:35 AM   #7
(female)

Rolex HB User

mona,
I found your post and wanted to wish you good luck with your surgery. I am in the study to get the Bryan Artificial disc approved. I had it placed in C5/6
level in 2004 here in Reno. Nev. Now after 3 years, I am having pain in my neck again and pain down my right arm in deltoid area. My orginial pain was in my left arm bicep area.
I was in an auto rear ender in Aug 2005. and have had lower back problems
due to that. But this new pain in my right arm is very worrisome to me.
I called my neuro office and his asst. suggested it may be the C4-5 region.
I am going in for an MRI.
So I guess my point is, the ADR that everyone is waiting around for may not
be all it is cracked up to be. I may have the domino effect even though I have it.
Good luck and I hope this will make you feel better about your surgery. Hope it isn't too painful for you.
Let us know how you are doing..rolex

Last edited by Rolex; 03-27-2007 at 12:38 AM.

Closed Thread