It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 05:34 AM   #1
(male)

paradiddle HB User
ACDF & CTS scheduled

I am scheduled for a left hand CTS. This is first of series of surgeries. I was first diagnosed with moderate stenosis and herniated discs at c4-c6 this past October 06 with NS. The only symptoms were numb hands and severe spasms in neck since MV accident May 05. I had done the whole PT , chiro routine 2x times over....

Anyway after Oct 06 I sought 2nd opinion with NS who didn't think I had enough symptoms and sent me for EMG. EMG found CT problem. 2nd NS sent me for 6 wks of PT with traction and splinting of hands. No improvement. I went for 3rd opinion with ortho ( who specializes in spine ). He thought MRI looks like surgery but symptoms do not. Very confused now and I am no better.

Went back to 1st NS to talk more as we didn't get too deep 1st time. 1st NS still thought 2 level acdf surgery was the way to go because he believes my condition will only become worse. He also thought that EMG was not very good at picking up myelopathy which may be causing hand numbness. I also have khyphosis which can be partially corrected at 2 levels. He looked at EMG report and though we should do CTS on non-dominant hand. If hand gets better we do right hand. If not then obviously ACDF is needed. ACDF is needed anyway in his opinion. I like this doc because his credentials are the best of the 3 I have seen. I realize no one has all the answers but I am at the point of needing to do something. I hope this all works out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Re: ACDF & CTS scheduled

I had ACDF on Jan 10th of this yr. Before surgery, for a few years I have had numbness in both hands. The only time its bad is when I hold a phone for too long or sleeping. So I started wearing the ole wrist braces about a yr. and half ago and that did help considerably. I have had all the same stuff as you. I had a Nerve Conduction Study with a Pain Dr. who said I had Carpal Tunnel in my left hand and the right hand was neck related. I didnt trust this guy, so I went to a neurologist who did another Nerve Conduction Study and an EMG. He said the direct opposite of what the first Dr. said. as far as which hand had what. I finally just let the numbness issue go because the neck pain was so much worse and ruling my life. So I had the ACDF 2 months ago and both hands are still numb. I have no clue what the deal is, whatsoever. I am so busy trying to treat my upper back/neck spasms (that I had also for 5 yrs. before the surgery), that again the numbness becomes a non-issue. I will not have Carpal Tunnel surgery till I am sure if that is exactly what I have. It seems like it must be hard to diagnose 100% when you neck problems also. Its a real mystery to me and it frankly bugs the ^%&*( out of me.
Sue

Old 03-12-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Re: ACDF & CTS scheduled

P.S. My Acdf was at C5-C7. I read up and it seems that C7 can cause numbe hands. I have no idea what is going on with the numb hands. I hope you neuro knows exactly what is happening, unlike mine.

Closed Thread