It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 09:03 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
I am so confused (again).

Hi all,
I had ACDF C5-7 almost 9 weeks ago on Jan. 10th. I had degenerative disks and bone spurs. I am doing OK, except for the muscle spasms in my upper body. (same old thing for 5 yrs.). I am better after surgery, in that a horrible pain on my left upper beck/traps is gone. But here's the deal: Before surgery, I literally tried EVERYTHING to get rid of the spasms. NOTHING EVER WORKED. I have had a few chiropractors tell me that my body was out of alignment and that my hips were cockeyed. I fell on the ice HARD in 2000 on my left side. That is the side that kills me the most (traps, upper back..shoulder). Can a person who fell on the ice become cockeyed in the hip area. I fell right on my sacrum and had to go to P.T. over the fall. I always wondered if that caused my neck problem. No Dr. seems to think so. When I look in the mirror my right side is higher than my left. The left hurts the most. I recently went to a massage therapist (post op) who kept emphasizing how lopsided I am. I know this imbalance is what is killing my left side. Its so lopsided that when I look in the mirror my shirt slides down, somewhat on my left side because the right is higher. Can someone please give me some insight here. I am starting to worry that I am stuck with a curved spine or something that will always cause this imbalance and muscle spasm. No Dr. seems to mention it, except to say they notice my right side is a little higher. I know if you are imbalanced it can really cause issues. When I sprained my ankle last May, just 1 day of limping totally killed my upper body from the imbalance. Once I got a brace I was alot better. Any help would be appreciated, because I am really starting to wonder what or if I can do anything. I dont want to end up an old lady that is all cockeyed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2007, 05:31 AM   #2
(male)

bw67 HB User
Re: I am so confused (again).

Have your doctors put you on FLEXIRIL?? I was on it for at least 3 months after surgery. I had put off surgery for two years- it took a good 3 months before the spasms completely stopped.

bw

Old 03-13-2007, 06:02 AM   #3
(female)

Escgirl HB User

(traps, upper back..shoulder spasms)... The ONLY thing that has helped me - is BOTOX injections in those areas... still its not permanent. And its expensive... you have to give it two weeks to kick in after injection and then you have about 8 weeks of relief and then you have to wait until 12 weeks out (so 2 more weeks of pain before you can get injections again)... and then 2 more weeks after the injections for it to start working..... ugh.... so two months of relief - followed by 1 month of pain .... it sucks...

I am going to see if I can do non fusion on C5/6 and am praying it will take away spasms... and burning horrid pain. My ears even turn red at times the burning is so bad.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:07 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

TraveltoSL HB User

Hey SKZ....

I can emphatize what you are going through as I just went through m 3rd cervical fusion (they went in from the front AND the back of the neck) because of 2 previous failed fusions...

The first surgery they took bone from my hip and even then, they said that my right hip (not the surgery one) pushes out much more than the other, and like you, one shoulder/side is higher than the other...I also had to have a neuroma (benign tumor) in my left foor back in 2004....

All of these things have made me very "cockeyed" and contributed to more and more muscle spasms in my lower back, right side, upper back, right side and shoulders that are just terrible and weren't changed with the surgeries for the better....

So, the suggestions that I have to live with them....(yeah...live with it)since I work with my PM and know that after the surgeries and such that I will have pain for the rest of my life but do everything I can to live the happiest and pain "less" days....

I take Robaxin, which to me, is a wonderful muscle relaxer and better than anything that I have ever taken in that realm....All the others like Flexeril, etc. made me so tired I couldn't see straight....I take 750mg...(sounds like a lot but that is actually the beginning dose with that type med)...and it helps a lot and doesn't make me sleepy...I am also on other meds like Oxy and Percocet when needed but they don't specifically work for the muscle spasms....I also take when needed, since I am now allowed after the 3 month mark from surgery....to take Motrin IB which actually does a really good job as well for muscle pains....

I also do, pay out of pocket, for massages.....The type that actually hurt a lot but really keep those spasms at bay...the deep tissue ones....Of course my friends are like..."ohhhh...i would LOVE to get massages"....and I'm like, "It's not what you think at a spa for me....the only reason is to work out those terrible spasms and dig in there and release them"....If they only knew what it was like for us!!!

Anyway, I also do yoga, lots of stretching techniques...Physical therapy, and yes, exercise a minimum of 3 times a week strengthening the muscles in my back, neck, and shoulders and ESPECIALLY my core....my stomach....This helps tremendously with the spasms as the stronger your core is, the better posture you have and less pain for my neck/back....I also recommend making sure that you aren't carrying a lot of extra weight in the stomach area as well since that puts so much more pressure on our backs/hips, and necks....

Hope that some of these suggestions help....Unfortunately....there might be some pains and things that cannot be fixed with surgery or medicine totally and we have to live with

I am sorry to hear that you still have pain....hope you don't have to join me as an "old lady who is cockeyed"""LOL....Ok...I"m only 38 but yes....FEEL older sometimes because my body doesn't work the way I want all the time.....But hope that you can take meaures with a multi-faceted approach with exercise, yoga, stretces, massage, ibuprofen, and possibly muscle relaxers to help with the pain....

Glad to hear you are healing well from your surgery....I've been following yours and other posts and have been praying....

Blessings,
Ingrid

Old 03-13-2007, 12:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Escgirl:
I did BOTOX and it didnt work for me. I must be one hard core case. I also have taken muscle relaxers, although not the one the mentioned. I will write that one down and ask my new Dr. about it tomorrow.

Ingrid:
I started walking on the treadmill after my surgery on Jan. 10th, but its messing me up worse. Now I have foot pain and worse spasms (all probl. from my hips being unbalanced). I have been riding the recumbent exercise bike, which I love. I even ordered one, which should be here this week. I have been exercising, doing machines, and some core building. But I must confess I have 30 extra lbs on my 51 yr. old 5'2" frame (alot of which is right in the middle). I am sure that couldnt be helping in any way. Tomorrow when I see the osteopath ( a woman)...I am going to discuss all this with her, and also menopause! hah. Lots going on. I am ready to start living my life again. Thanks so much for your help!

Old 03-13-2007, 02:39 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

TraveltoSL HB User

Hi there,

Please keep us posted on your appt. and I really think and hope that you will like the Osteopath....The great part is they have so many different modalities to try out to help with pain and movement....

I LOVE the recumbent bikes as well So much more comfortable and better for those knees....

One other suggestion is finding a local indoor pool at a rec center...etc....and do light swimming or water aerobics...Not only does it feel SOOOO good and soothing but it's great for your muscles as well as the least amount of stress on the body to not be sore but still getting exercise in each day...

I can emphatize with the menopause issue even though I am only 38 since I have was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor in December, right after my cervical surgery...(not because of the surgery but because of all the strange symptoms I was having).....and I have all the same symptoms of menopause as well as many others....Haven't been blessed with children before this and know it looks like God has other plans for me....But....I just know there is a child somewhere in this world that someday will be with me

Sorry to digress....but I can understand how the menopause can just add so much more to deal with along with the chronic pain...I think the Osteo should be able to help with some wonderful, natural, remedies to help relieve some of the BIG M symptoms too

Good luck tomorrow!
Blessings,
Ingrid

Old 03-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Ingrid,
I had a pituitary tumor (adenoma) for many many years and one day I got an MRI and it was gone! They said it "resolved" itself. My symptoms were that when I breast fed, I had wayyyyyyyyyy too much milk to the point of it being a nightmare. (both times I had kids....I am 51 now).Also I never dried up after stopping breast feeding. They kept saying that if my periods were irregular or I got bad headaches that it might have to come out. I had to take some pill (the name escapes me) but it gave me orthostatic hypotension (sp?) which made me want to pass out when I got up from a sitting or lying position. It was supposed to lower the prolactin level. I told them forget it and got off of it. They kept checking my prolactin level because the tumor made it go really high. (hence all the milk....proLACTIN). heh.

Closed Thread