It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Went to an osteopath today

I mentioned in a previous post that I made an appt. to see an osteopath. For the last 5 years I have been treated exclusively for my neck issues and muscle spasms from my upper body guarding my neck. I fell on the ice very hard in 2000 and had to go to therapy for hurting my sacrum. TO make a long story short, my body is totally stuck at my sacral area. I have gotten alot of feedback from massage therapists and chiropractors that I am totally out of balance. You can even see it visually, that my right side is higher than my left. Every MD I ever saw would not listen to me about the fact that I fell on the ice. I am willing to bet it totally had to do with my neck problem in the first place. The osteopath examined me and said I was utterly stuck and that no wonder I could never get rid of my spasms. I was always getting the band aid approach, never getting to the cause. So annoying. I am trying to work the anger I have at the medical establishment. (mostly MDs.) This Dr. thinks she can really help me, but I have to let more time go by to let the fusion heal. She did a couple of small things to me today (hands on) and I have to say that whatever she did made me feel better.
For those of you ladies who are in my age bracket (51), she also took some blood to see where I am in the ole menopause phase. Then if I need some hormonal assistance, we will go the bio-identical hormone route (something regular MDs never want to even try doing...grrr..), rather than the synthetic hormone route, which is out of the question, as far as I am concerned. Anyway, I think I am finally getting to the bottom of things, after 5 years of hell. Wish me luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
(female)

Escgirl HB User
Re: Went to an osteopath today

Hey sorry if this is a stupid question... is a D.O. an osteopath? I believe it is... I am going to see a surgeon that is a D.O. PHD... .on Friday.... wish me luck... he is the only other guy I am considering (outside of Reuter in florida) because I live in Texas! Any one hear of Rob Dickerman D.O.- PHD???

LUCK LUCK LUCK LUCK TO YOU!!!! Sounds like you are headed in the RIGHT direction~!!!!

Old 03-14-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Yes, ...D.O. is an osteopath. My surgeon was one also.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

TraveltoSL HB User

Hi there,

Glad to hear that you had a good appt. today and it sounds like she is willing to "go the distance" to work with you and find out what else can be done to ease your pain and help with other issues that may be coming down the road...

I am so happy for you!!!!

Blessings,
Ingrid

Old 03-15-2007, 08:30 AM   #5
(female)

monarog HB User

Good for you! After so many doctors and discouragement, it is great to find someone that you feel good about and hopeful they might provide you some relief. Please keep us posted on how it's going. Mona

Old 03-15-2007, 08:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Thanks all! Now at least I have a Dr. and a P.T. that both totally agree with me and are really trying to help me. It pretty sad that I have to be the one to diagnose my own self. A person sure has to be their own advocate. They also have to research...research...research. The days of trusting the Drs. to handle the whole thing are gone, as far as I am concerned. God help people that still think the Drs. figure everything out. They get sub-standard care. SAD. My husband always thought that you go the Dr. and you get "fixed". So everytime there was something not right with him, he went to a Dr. and always assumed they knew best. I have had to teach him, at age 56, that he better know ALL his options and check out everything the Dr. says by researching it. Then ask tons of questions!!!! Its pretty disillusioning, isnt it?

Closed Thread